Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Virginia Rocks!

Passenger side motor mount bolt removal?

How the heck do you get the 13mm bolts off the top of the passenger side motor mount?

I have every combination of wrenches, sockets, etc and couldn't figure it out with the exhaust manifold in place.

Come on guys, share the secret.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
I'd use a 13mm socket, just my suggestion though

haha jk jk, good luck though
Old 03-28-2006, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

There is a heat shield that wraps over the mount. There are two bolts holding this shield to the crossmember. Remove the heat shield and you should be able to get a wrench on the bolts for the mount.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Above re heat shield, and you can have an assistant (giggle) pry the engine away from the body there to give you some more room.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To remove the bolts attaching the motor mount to the frame:
with the heat shield out of the way, and no power steering, I used an open end wrench. Half a turn, by half a turn. (later bought the new 'ratchet type box end wrenchs).

To remove the bolts attaching the motor mount to the engine block: you have to remove the exhaust headers first.

good luck,
JM
Old 03-29-2006, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRMock
To remove the bolts attaching the motor mount to the frame:
with the heat shield out of the way, and no power steering, I used an open end wrench. Half a turn, by half a turn. (later bought the new 'ratchet type box end wrenchs).
Yeah, these look pretty rusty. I can't seem to get a wrench on to get the first "crack" of bolts held in place for a long time. But it was getting late and me tired.

Humans put this together. Elves and black majic are needed to take it apart.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Might not hurt to burn some incense, and sacrifice a live chicken over the intake.
I remember swearing alot when I was doing this, thinking evil thoughts. Trying to talk in "German," helped alot, as well as purchasing some crow's feet, and lots of wobbly extentions and a u-joint. Sometimes I would look at the long, bent, misshapen concoction on the end of my 3/8inch ratchet and just laugh and laugh...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I just finished my motor mount replacement last weekend. The first big project since buying the car in the fall. Looking forward to getting it on the road. The car is an '86 with 72K and the mounts were original. They look like they were recovered from the Titanic. The battery is still out so I have not started it yet, but I am sure it will be much better.

On the passenger side I also removed a mount I believe holding a brake line. This gave a little more room. I used two wrenches and was able to get it out without much trouble. It was more fun getting the lower front bolt out which holds the air box to the engine side air intake. A closed end wrench with 1/12 of a turn at a time was the best I could come up with.

I was able to get the entire job done in one day with two hydraulic jacks holding the engine and two sissor jacks to help support the cross member and get it back up into place. A great sense of accomplishment and now I can have fun with the easier stuff on my maintenance list.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Stubby wrench and a couple of whacks with the BFH got them loose....

Do the motor mounts look shot? LOL

Old 04-01-2006, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: