Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Serial Lurker

Send a message via AIM to ledhedsymbols
Dodging bullets!!!

As of the last couple of months, the 968 started to run a little rough. I was concerned about the balance belt, and I figured on a tune up and a couple other maintenance items.... Summer is Coming!
I have never tried the belts before, so I sprung for the P9201, and all the associated belts and rollers, it's been about 30K since the last change, and I have no record, so I decided to do the water pump at the same time. In for a penny and all that.
When I started the project, I got the covers off and everything out of the way. The first thing I noticed was that half the balance shaft belt was looking at me, the other half had gotten wadded up at the crank, and had been MELTED into a glob. Upon further inspection I determined that the timing belt was still 100% intact!
Thank God I decided to park it when I thought there was a problem.
The only hold up now is that when I ordered the parts from Pelican, they shifted in shipment and the water pump cut the water pump gasket. I called and true to form, the excellent customer service is in place. The new gasket is on the way express free of charge, sorry for the inconvenience sir! Thanks Pelican!

Moral of the story, if it sounds funny, it probably is. The possibel damage could have resulted in the Porsche being parked for the forseeable future. The repair parts for a timing belt failure on a 968 are astronomical!

Micah

Old 05-06-2006, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looks like someone just saved their valves and possibly whole motor
Glad to hear you caught it in time.
14 BMW M5 6spd Stick 1 of 577 F10 less than 300 LCI
Old 05-06-2006, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Remove horseshoes. Clean same. Reinstall, along with fresh socks, torquing appropriately.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

"Dodging bullets!!!"

Boy, ain't that true! Congrats! Every once in a while Murphy and/or the Porsche gods take a little pity on us! Give thanks! For SURE. Good catch!
Old 05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Serial Lurker

Heya Granite,
I fish in your neck of the woods all the time. I was stationed in Everett for four years, and am now working in Bremerton. Do you fish?

Micah
Old 05-08-2006, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Serial Lurker

Pics of the offending Balance belt... Hope this works

Old 05-08-2006, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ledhedsymbols
Heya Granite,
I fish in your neck of the woods all the time. I was stationed in Everett for four years, and am now working in Bremerton. Do you fish?

Micah

"Do you fish?"

Hehe!..........all the time! Just not the kind your refering to.

I haven't done anything FUN like that, in ages! I really need to, butt, if it isn't a car to work on, its the house/property....and on and on ya know! Been out here 9 years plus, and STILL haven't hit the Pilchuck river yet. Its so far away ya know........right accross the street.

PM me the next time your coming out this way! At least I can give ya a beer or something!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You have such a SAD look on your face there. Ya should be happy!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Serial Lurker

The only problem with the Pilchuck is that the season is wicked short. I've only hooked and lost one steehead on that river (this winter) but I hear stories all the time about the native monsters from the green Pilchuck. I usually fish the Sky and the Stilly on that side. The Sky opens for Kings on the 1st of June. I did pretty well last year, so I'll be at it again soon.

Cheers,
Micah

Old 05-08-2006, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: