Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trying to help a friend solve some 87 944 problems

One of the girls I know here at college just got an 87 944. The car is in decent shape but has no records with it (I warned her against buying it for this reason but she insisted she was in love with this car). Anyways, the car has a few things and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas with what was up. First off, the drivers window wont go down and the passenger window wont go up. My first thought was fuse or relay. What else would not function if it was a bad relay for the power windows? Could it be jambed? I figured since both weren't working that it was something that both windows have in common. Additionally, the parking break does not hold so she always has to put the car in gear. Broken cable possibly? Or is it in the brake itself just not being adjusted properly? And last but not least the wheel has a shake to it. I have yet to drive the car myself to determine what it could be but I'm guessing that it is just out of balance. Any other symptoms that could cause a shake in the steering wheel? Control arms, tie rods, etc? Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-07-2006, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Steering shake.

Could be - wheels out of balance, or the wheels kinda feeling their way if the bearings or ties rods are loose.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ive had bearings, tie rods and wheels out of balance happen when I had my 944 so I think I'll have a better idea of what it could be when I drive it tomorrow. It has just been a little while since I worked on the 44's (why is it that a month and a half without a porsche seems like a lifetime?) so I was just in need of a little refresher, haha.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
First of all, the lady obviously has good taste. This is a tough vehicle for someone that doesn't do a lot of mechanic work though as they are getting up there in years and maintenance costs are going to be high. Sounds like you are willing and able to help her out..or maybe she needs a boyfriend that works on cars...or maybe she can learn to work on them herself!

It's hard to say about the windows, I know on my 86 I had to replace both actuators in the door and I'm going to have to do at least one on my 87, but it could also be a relay or something but I've never seen any window relay problems..that doesn't mean that's not it is though. You are just going to have to test the wires that control the motor for power and see if the relay is supplying power or not. The emergency brake could also be a number of things. It could be worn out brake shoes or it could be cable adjustment or the cable is broken. Try adjusting the cable first...that's the cheapest option. There is no way to tell without looking at the car to know which it is. The vibration as you already mentioned could me any front end part or balance or alignment. Get the tires balanced and go from there. I know there were no real answers in there, but without specifics on each problem, there is no way to really know what the problems are.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually

Last edited by Razorback1980; 05-07-2006 at 09:56 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I realize the specifics were not there and I was just hoping to get some guidance for what to look at. She used to drive a bmw and worked on it herself but she doesn't know much about Porsche's. I grew up around my 944 and working on it with my dad so I have some experience with them and cars in general. I just like teaching people and making them enjoy their porsche's even more. I can tell she already has that porsche-o-phile look in her eyes, haha.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If both windows will not work with the switches then it could be the relay and/or the fuse. If one of the windows works (or patially works) and the other doesn't then most likely the switches are dirty and need to be cleaned. They can be removed from the door panel and taken apart but watch out for the tiny spring loaded parts to go to mysterious places never to be found again. I've seen the connections at the motors a bit corroded. Have to take the door panel off to clean them.

The shaking is worn tires, balance, loose wheel bearings and possibly bent rims. Hope it's worn tires and balance. Bent rims can be expensive. If it's gone on for a while add in tie rod ends and a steering link.

Parking brakes may just need adjusting. First is to take the rear wheels off and adjust the shoes through the large hole in the rotor hub. Adjusts like a VW. Tighten the shoes till you can't turn the hub/rotor by hand then back off the adjustor till you can't hear the shoes touch. After you do both sides see if the cable at the handle needs to be adjusted. You should be able to pull the handle up at least half way to set the brakes. If the button does not work the pawl has flipped over at the base of the handle. This can be flipped back around with out taking the handle off.

However the most important item is the timing and balance belts. If there is no maintenance records of these being done in the last three years they need to be replaced NOW!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 05-07-2006 at 10:52 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply socal. I will def use those things as reference points when I check out the car this afternoon. I have also stressed to her several times that the belts need to be replaced ASAP, mayb e if I offer to find her a good shop in the Miami area that will service it that will help persuade her to do it right away. I hate to see another engine go down if a fellow 44er could've prevented it.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes, Socal is right, get the belts done ASAP!

Nothing else matters as much...

Mine goes into the shop tommaro to get them done...

Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: