Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to cchyper Send a message via Yahoo to cchyper
FORD MAF Conversion?!

Hello All -

I know there was a MAF genius on here at one point, who converted a $30 Ford MAF from the junkard to work on his N/A car. I have the FRWILK II Chip and was wondering if anyone knows or has tried the BUILD YOUR OWN approach to the MAF issue. I here it give great gains! so i am really interested. If little info comes to mind, a little direction would be much appreciated, for i am going to try to do it myself... dare i try!?

- Chris

Calling out to FRWILK - Are you there you electrical godsend?

Old 05-08-2006, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BananaClip
Well the lindsey racing maf kit uses a ford maf, so take that as you will.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Oh nice - good input. Too bad they dont make one for the N/A cars. It cant be that bad of a install, i am sure its just some wires right splicing here, some sodering there. !
Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

and a way for the DME to interpret the data.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 05-08-2006, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
You could go and make your own, using A ford MAF. SPlit second makes alot of good products that can help. I believe they sell a MAF calibrator that will help you get the DME to understand the madness. Also if your gonna go the way, I would recommend getting a WIDE band A/F sensor, this will help you calibrate the system based on A/F ratios
Old 05-08-2006, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PhillysMostWntd
i picked up a ford maf from the junkyard over the weekend because i thought this same thing, after researching on the split second website i decided i would wait.. so many diagrams and words to read.. wasnt in the mood.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fast924S
Also if your gonna go the way, I would recommend getting a WIDE band A/F sensor, this will help you calibrate the system based on A/F ratios
This guy knows what's up. The innovative LM-1kit is probably the best piece of equipment ever offered for dialing in air/fuel ratios. At the bare minimum, it's a great in comparison to a standard a/f gauge because it doesn't sit there and spaz out at idle. The baby reads accurate for every split millisecond it is functioning.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3043/elisdn1.jpg
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
If you wanted to nearly replicate stock setup, you could set your AFM and the new MAF in series on a bench, and blow air through the pair. You know that the airflow through both of them is the same, so you just use your air/fuel controller to change the output until they read the same over the range of air flow you can produce.

That is, if you don't want to pay for a wideband O2 sensor, and tune it that way.

Basically, you need almost any MAF (needs to be reasonably big), an air/fuel controller, and either a flow bench, or a wideband O2 sensor.

Buy my parts!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Agreed the problem (and cost) isn't in the MAF, it's in the signal massager.

Black Cars Matter
Old 05-11-2006, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

hmmm... very interesting, i will have to do much studying on this and keep you guys up to date. I guess the biggest question is.... should i just buy the kit like you fast924s??? Huntley racing? They dont have a site anymore....

Old 05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: