Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
meister member

Garage
graphing in new seat vinyl

I have a 12" long tear in the seat bottom which needed repair. I went to the local fabric store and purchased a yard of black vinyl and then took the seat apart.
Here is the picture of the seat cover off of the foam.

The right side has the 12" gash in it. The left side is only about 2" but I will replace that panel as well while I have it apart.

Here is with the right panel stitched in.

So far so good. Now onto the left panel...

Speedy

Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 05-17-2006, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

looks nice.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 05-17-2006, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Nice work.

Did you get that thing I sent you?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had a tear in a leather jacket a couple years ago... took it to a leather shop, and they actually glued the tear together... it's just as strong as original, and the line is barely even noticable... if my seats ever become cracked or worn, i'm taking them back there..

but your repair looks good.. post another pic when the other side is done

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 05-17-2006, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Legion,
Got it! Thanks alot.

I tried the restitch and glue the last time I repaired it. It got me by for about 20K miles but the vinyl is so stiff now that it just needs replacing.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
meister member

Garage

Here is the finished seat. There are a couple of things I would do differently next time around but for my first attempt I am very pleased. The seat feels very nice and the new vinyl is much softer and stickier than the old stuff. Overall I feel good about it but would of liked the seat to turn out without the wrinkles in the back area.

BTW the seat foam and vinyl is a pain to get mounted back onto the frame correctly.

Speedy
Old 05-18-2006, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Amazing how much that vinyl looks like the leather next to it.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Texture's different. Redo the whole seat. Then the one next to it. That way, the texture across all panels is the same.

I have a tear in one of my seats. Cannot find a perfect match vinyl, so I'm buying someone else's nice seats. Eventually, I'll buy the entire lower original script cover and foam cusion from my dealer and redo the entire seat.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to procon
Nice work speedy!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by WolfeMacleod
Texture's different. Redo the whole seat. Then the one next to it. That way, the texture across all panels is the same.

I have a tear in one of my seats. Cannot find a perfect match vinyl, so I'm buying someone else's nice seats. Eventually, I'll buy the entire lower original script cover and foam cusion from my dealer and redo the entire seat.
I took 3 samples of black vinyl and this sample had the closest grain match but was lacking sheen. If I show the car I will just hit it with a little Armor All.

The job costed $12 in materials and about 8 hours of my labor.

Speedy
Old 05-19-2006, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Sewing -- and all the guys in high school made fun of you taking Home Economics!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Man when I was a kid growing up I was so poor I had to sew my own shorts and shirts. No joke I took Home Economics and made a cool duffle bag and my boss at work almost pooped himself when I brought my sewing machine into work and stiched up an adjustable material drop chute from canvas.

My uncle has an upholstery shop so I am going to check with him to see if he can match the 944 vinyl.

Speedy
Old 05-19-2006, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Looks much better than when you started. Nice work Speedy.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 05-19-2006, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: