Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just bought a 924S

So I just brought home an 87 924S that I got from an estate. It was owned by a 80 year old guy who died and seems to be in pretty good shape with relatively low mileage, 90,000. I'm not sure why I did this, I just sold an 82 924 and a parts car and the garage was looking real good with all that empty space. But for $2400.00 it seemed worth a shot.
Anyway my question is what is a good manual for the 924S. I just ordered Haynes 924 (I gave my old copy away when I sold the 82) and the 944 manual figuring that between the two everything should be covered. Is there anything better out there?
I enjoyed this forum when we resurrected the 82 and got a lot of useful information. It's good to see it is still going strong.

Jon

Old 06-07-2006, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I own the same year and model. As you probably know, the engine is the 8 valve 2.5L 944 engine. The transmission is the same as an early 944 also. I think the engine would be considered a 2nd generation 8 valve 944 engine, as I remember there being a difference in how the fuel pressure regulator and dampers are positioned on the fuel rail.

My 924S has 94,xxx on it. Typical thing you might want to check are the fuel lines in the rear. They get old and satuarated. Also, I had to replace the fuel damper and regualtor and the vaccum line fittings that goto them. The T fitting that connects the two vaccum lines from the damper and the regulator gets old and cracks, also the damper and regulator wear out and start to leak fuel into the vaccum line system (!) which causes a bad fuel smell and the car to run wildly rich. I have also noticed that little things like the door light switches and the e-brake switch break easy.. but are usually easily fixed with some tinkering.

Thsoe are just a few things I have noticed with my car. Everything is pretty much 944 sans the body panels, so anything you find out about a 944 will usually apply to the 924S.

Good luck with it!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Timing and balance belts. If you don't know the last time they were changed and/or it's over three years, you will want to replace them. You could spend about half of what you paid should the timing belt break.

Also replace the tires if they are over six years old.

If there is a loud clunk hitting and backing off the throttle in gear then the rubber center in the clutch disk has let go.

Go to www.clarks-garage.com and www.frwilk.com for loads of info. The 924S is a cross between the early and late 944's. Uses the same 2.5L engine. Not much like the early 924's under the skin.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys. The belts are definitely on my mind. I will replace before we register the car.
I'm going to pull it into the garage this weekend and put it up on blocks and give it a full inspection. We'll generate a phase one work list, all the maintenance and repairs necessary to make this baby fairly reliable. Phase two will be to get it back into showroom condition (or as close as I can afford).
I just ordered the 924 and 944 manuals from Hynes, a good starting point.
Here we go again.........

Jon
Old 06-08-2006, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
There is no Haynes manual for the 87-924. Use the 944 manual. It it esetually the same car as the 944 gen 2 engine with gen 1 interier and tranny. Next would be the shop manuals.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 06-09-2006, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, the Haynes manual for the "924" will ive you almost no help with the mechanics of your 924S. 924 = Audi plant and drive 924S = all Porsche!

Theres actually very few similarities beyond the looks.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

the most important thing you can do is that if your car has a euro feature in when you park your car and leave the turn signal on the side marker light stays on,,, its a parking light thing...
bad news,, this feature is energized with the key out of the ignition... and its not fused,,,...it fried my wireing harness big time....so get it disabled FAST!!!!!

coastal cruzer
Old 06-09-2006, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I keep thinking of all those cars in Germany that have fried harnesses from the parking signal thing.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Hoss Ghoul
I bought one of those CD's off ebay(also have Haynes)...definetly worth $10. Lots of good info, diagrams, etc, that Haynes does not have. More detailed repair procedures, etc.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you haven't already checked here on Pelican under the tech section there are also some really good engine diagrammes. I take it they are factory scans. They can be tough to read if you arent experienced with that sort of thing but they can be very helpful in certain situations. Especially with vaccum lines and seeing where everything is suppose to go...

Old 06-10-2006, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: