Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

water pump?

Just moved, from Venango County to Lycoming County here in PA (about 200 miles). I've been driving the 944 here for about a week now, and yesterday after I got home from work she discharged a good bit of coolant onto the ground. Seemed to come from the middle to middle-driver's side of the car definitely engine area not radiator. I'm assuming this is a symptom of bad water pump: a quart maybe more of coolant on the ground after driving. Up on stands I ran the engine for a little while, but couldn't see a leak and this morning there wasn't new evidence. Timing belt is on the agenda anyhow, so this isn't terrible news, but if this is a symptom more of a bad hose or whatnot, I'd appreciate the feedback as right now after the move Porsche funds are in short supply.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Check all your hoses first ...Check the hose right above the oil filter.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 06-08-2006, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
...........or the hose going to the firewall hidden underneath. Has that same problem and it was a bear to fix. But at the time I thought my head gasket was failing so I was semi-happy.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 06-08-2006, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Gentlemen, many thanks for your prompt replies. Cooler the hose you indicated, I am suspicious of. I did not mention that specific hose, but the fact you did makes me feel a little better. I'll be checking hoses tonight. Panzer, most of my 944 troubles are a bear to fix, and if this isn't I'll be surprized.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

are you hearing any bearing noises. the combination of water leakage and the sound of bad bearings clued me into a bad water pump which i am currently replacing. the water pump isnt that hard to do, its the seals and such that you get with some kits that adds alot of time to a job.
Double 0 Alero. Alright! something from this millenium
Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Quote:
Originally posted by Taz's Master
Gentlemen, many thanks for your prompt replies. Cooler the hose you indicated, I am suspicious of. I did not mention that specific hose, but the fact you did makes me feel a little better. I'll be checking hoses tonight. Panzer, most of my 944 troubles are a bear to fix, and if this isn't I'll be surprized.
I hate that hose...I had a little tiny crack on the backside of it a long time ago that caused it to shoot water out like crazy and it was such a hassle to get off and get the new one on.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Are the fans working? Was doing fault finding on relays and put the control relay for the fan back in the wrong slot so fans did not come in.(you need to be a contortionist to get to the relays) When driving along freeway it was fine but hit a bit of traffic and car started to heat and water came out of the expansion bottle overflow in middle of engine area under car.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Coolant pressure tester. Cold AND hot tests. Buy/beg/borrow/steal one. One of the BEST tool investments anyone can make for these cars, or any other, for that matter.

All will become clearly KNOWN, then (if used logically, and per included instructions). 99.9% of the time. Plus, you get the benefit of "bleeding" these systems SO much easier with one.

Leaks like this can come from ANYWHERE. Under different circumstances, and/or conditions.
Save yourself lots of grief. Buy one, or PAY someone that has one, knows how to use it, and just find out what and where its coming from, IF......... you cannot tell from just running the car and looking at it, WHERE its coming from.

Just my .002.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: