Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cruise control overrevved!

I was on one of those high-speed roads with occasional traffic lights and when the light turned red, I shifted into neutral in preparation to stop. Didn't realize the cruise wouldn't disengage in neutral and the engine spun into the stratosphere! I don't know why I didn't just think to touch the brake pedal, but in full panic mode, I killed the ignition and coasted down. On restart, everything ran OK, no nasty noises, and the engine runs fine now. I assume there's a rev limiter, and if I hit redline, it wasn't for more than 1 second. Anyway, is there anything I should do or check at this point, like the timing belt tension? The timing belt has probably less than 1K miles on it now.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
As long as it wasnt a downshift, the rev limiter should have prevented any damage being done to the engine. If you downshift and over rev the engine, the rev limiter dosent do anything.

I wouldnt worry about it.. i have tapped the rev limiter on more than a few occasions (autocross). Still running strong... ::Knocks on wood::

You should have your timing belt retensioned soon anyhow.. supposed to be between 1000-1500 miles for a new belt.

Besides, its good to give the car a good Italian tune up every once in a while.. need to burn off some of that carbon buildup you know.. .
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Interesting...
Mine only engages ABOVE 80 MPH...
Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Mine will engage at 20mph if I use it, but it cuts out as soon as I press on the clutch or the brake.
Sounds like your clutch switch is shot.

Buy my parts!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero10
Mine will engage at 20mph if I use it, but it cuts out as soon as I press on the clutch or the brake.
Sounds like your clutch switch is shot.
Properly functioning 944 cruise control should re-engage when you take your foot off the clutch pedal.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
Properly functioning 944 cruise control should re-engage when you take your foot off the clutch pedal.
I think that's what happened...the cruise disengaged when I hit the clutch pedal, but re-engaged when I shifted into neutral and took my foot off the pedal. I checked the owner's manual and it warns against shifting into neutral with the cruise on. D'ohh! I didn't expect it, because my '83 Volvo would disengage if you shifted into neutral, so I assumed a Porsche would, too.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jer944
the person that had the car disconnected mine cant wait to find out why once the motor is hooked back up
Old 06-19-2006, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
LOL!!! There's a rev. limiter. Assuming it's working properly you've got nothing to worry about.

Just a heads-up, in a lot of states it's actually illegal to coast in neutral. In any case, it really isn't the best driving technique.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-20-2006, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Just a heads-up, in a lot of states it's actually illegal to coast in neutral. In any case, it really isn't the best driving technique.
Agreed. I usually just leave it in gear until I've slowed to idle speed in that gear, then hold the clutch down until I'm completely stopped, shifting into 1st just as the car gets stopped.
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
How can they prove you were coasting in nuetral, when you actually could have been in gear with the clutch in? oooooooo...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-20-2006, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
yes it should but he stated he put it in neutral with cruise engaged which puts the motor in a severe no-load condition.

not sure i want to put all my faith in the overspeed limit capabilities which is protection in a loaded condition.

"may the force be with you"
Old 06-20-2006, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by bearone2
yes it should but he stated he put it in neutral with cruise engaged which puts the motor in a severe no-load condition.

not sure i want to put all my faith in the overspeed limit capabilities which is protection in a loaded condition.

Then don't put the car in neutral and let off the clutch with the cruise control on.

The system functioned as designed. The fault was in the driver.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Haha yeah I kinda did the same thing before in an old Fold conversion van. The cruise control got stuck on at 70mph, and I couldn't turn it off by pushing the brakes or the button. I was left with the only choice of throwing it into neutral, at which point I thought my engine was going to explode like you did. I also killed the engine, but that made it very difficult to maneuver the beastly vehicle around the traffic jam that I was quickly approaching

I would think that everything would be fine with your engine, assuming that your rev limiter is functioning properly. Definitely won't be making that mistake again now will you
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

why would it be illegal to coast?

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldorado
why would it be illegal to coast?
Because it stops engine braking and also makes it difficult to speed up quickly if that is needed.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Then don't put the car in neutral and let off the clutch with the cruise control on.

The system functioned as designed. The fault was in the driver.
I can't believe new vehicles would be designed this way, and like I said, my '83 Volvo wagon (god, I loved that car!) would shut the cruise down permanently if you hit the clutch, so I may just look into splicing the clutch shut-off switch so it's on the same circuit as the brake pedal shut-off switch, to make sure this never happens again. Or I could re-train myself not to shift into neutral until stopped... Hmmm...re-wire or retrain self? Better re-wire.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I tested mine, and it doesn't re-engage when I release the clutch, in gear or in neutral.
Either somebody already tweaked the clutch switch wiring, or mine's just plain broken

Buy my parts!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: