Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need advise on painting our 2nd 944

We bought an 83 that has about 130k and I'd say its in C+ condition. The car's original color is silver but the PO painted the car red. The plan is for my son & I to do most of the prep work so a friend of mine spray the car. We started sanding the red paint off (down to the silver) car this week and we have about 1/3 of the car sanded, but the hardest part is to come (hand sanding the hard to get spots).

My questions that I can think of (so far) are as follows:
Should we remove anything like front valance, rear glass, doors, and/or side windows?

What is a good primer and base/clear coat paint for the car?

What's the best way to prep the lower rocker panels (there textured so sanding is a no/no)?

Any other painting helpful hints???

65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i learned that the part below the door is just a spray-on texture that you can get at pretty much any place that sells auto paint. it's a rubberized stone guard... i asked the same question a few weeks ago..

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Definately remove everything that you can. Bumpers, lower valance, side windows, door handles, side view mirrors, etc. Most people are rather surprised at how easy those things come off.

The rockers can be chemically stripped. Then you can re-apply the rockschutz coating. It is available from WURTH

Out body shop uses a etching primer with lots of zinc in it. I believe the primer and paints come from Du pont. Unfortunately, the factory Glasurit paint is long gone.

Any good to stage paint should work well. Remember that Black, White, Red and Silver are the hardest colors to match.

Welcome back

AFJ

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-30-2006, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

welcome back yourself, afj... we were beginning to think you were off on some secret mission with wilk or something

Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

During my research (before I asked a stupid question like "can I put a turbo on my NA) I noticed that Wilk is MIA........What's up with that?

Thanks for the comments......I have a long weekend to dis-assemble the car before we move forward.

I'm hoping that #2 son is worthy of a 944 than #1 son. Our Yellow car (87 N/A) is still in storage, but we have plans to start working on it after we finish painting the 83 N/A.
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-30-2006, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by gt350mike
During my research (before I asked a stupid question like "can I put a turbo on my NA) I noticed that Wilk is MIA........What's up with that?
if we told you, we'd have to kill you.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm not cleared so save your ammo!

65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-30-2006, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: