Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

85' 944 clutch?

I think the clutch is gone,here's what happened......heard a pop and then scraping noise......when I engaged the gear and let out the clutch I hear scraping under the shifter.Ideas?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Could be many things with what you have described. Does the car move at all when in gear? Does it make a huge CLUNK-CLUNK when accelerating and decelerating?

Will you be doing the work yourself or have a shop do it?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Doesn't move at all.......I will be doing it myself....it sounds like maybe that rubber on the clutch disk went out.......have you ever experienced that?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
If the rubber center failed there are still three metal "safety tabs" that allow the car to still be driveable in the event of a broken rubber center. It is possible you sheared the tabs as well (could be the grinding noise?).

When my rubber-centered clutch failed I drove it on the safety ears for about 500 miles. Maybe I got lucky. I've seen rubber centers fail and the metal ears shear in less than 100 miles after. It's a gamble and just meant to get you home.

My best suggestion would be to get it to someone who can get your car on a rack and inspect it. Or you can get a few jack stands and start pricing a spring-centered clutch kit

Old 08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's something in the clutch.....do you have to pull the transmission?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Basically...

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-01.htm

That will just about cover everything for a clutch replacement.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yep,you do........
Old 08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I drove on the tabs for about a year

Sounds as if something around that area is falling apart ( grinding noise ).

have you gotten up under it yet to take a look ??

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 08-26-2006, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yep,ended up being the spline shaft going into the clutch disk wore down and it was just grinding instead of turning.......does anyone have any knowledge of getting the shaft out of that tube?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
You may be better off just purchasing a new used torque tube if the splines are shot. How bad are the clutch splines? You may want to install a new clutch while you have it apart.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 08-26-2006, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The funny thing is the clutch looks ok.I was trying to save money by just replacing the shaft......
Old 08-27-2006, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: