Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ring gear and bellhousing components removal

Well, after about a year and a half i've finaly made some headway on cleaning out the garage to make room ( half of garage) to setup and rebuild my motor. bought the stand today and barrowed a Chery picker for 1 week. Run into a few problems

#1. Bought 4 new bolts to mount the engine stand to motor. They were the wrong size ( m12 1.25 pitch). Any ideas of where to buy ones that will fit would help

#2 Went to clarks garage and it says to use a 8mm,12mm Tripple square socket fitings. But all i see so far are allen/torx fittings on the ring gear. Did I miss somthing or are they the wrong bolts?
Pic below

As far as i know the retaining bolts on the ring gear to pull out the pressure plate ( think thats the part) so I have enuff room to mount the motor on the engine stand. Or hopefully find some spacers to enable the engine stand mount to clear

Any input would be great guys

Regards
J

85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.

Last edited by AA_Ezra; 08-28-2006 at 12:30 AM..
Old 08-27-2006, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

None of the set of hex keys I have, metric and standard fit as tightly as i thought it should. The 6mm hex is pretty close but a little play the next size up 8mm way to big. Anyone remember the size required? a 7mm hex perhaps?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just checked the ones that I removed and they are all 6mm with a nice fit make sure they go all the way in they strip easy I stripped 2. (Bugger)

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 08-28-2006, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Hey J...I couldn't find the M12 x 1.5 here in Houston either. I wound up using the bolts I took out of the bell housing for the top two and the bottom two I rigged. Here is what I did. I took some nylon spaces and put on the inside of the threads of the bottom two holes and then I used some smaller bolts (don't remember the size and ran them through the engine stand, then through the holes in the block with the plastic spacers between the threads and the smaller bolt and then put nuts and washers on the bolts. It worked out fine and I didn't have to order more bolts from somewhere. Finding the size was easy, but the 1.5 threads (most are 1.25 or 1.75) were very difficult to locate, so I improvised.

I am guessing here but I think the bolts clarks is referring to are the ones that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft. They are more in the middle of the flywheel than on the outside. Mine is an automatic, so I'm not familiar with your setup as they are a little different.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tom's got it. I did pretty much the same thing.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

well, i toOK the bolts back to the guys at napa and asked for the measurements that i had on paper this tI'me so i wouldn't forget (Mo's.5). He found the size after about a minute and checked them with the nut that the correct bolt is supposed to thread threw. Plopped um on the table and i said thanks. Then he tells me" you know what". Evidently the measured the bolts i was about to return and said they were 1.5's too. Then i said well all but 1 bolt actually threaded threw. I brought hI'm a sample of my original bolt of my bell housing and he said " yep that's the rigth size". So I'm like OK. maybe there is some gunk keeping the bolts from going inn. So i just left and said the heck with it I'll try it again.

Upon further inspection i cand see my original bolts are higher quality (molded better). I'll put a picture up of the threads and you tell me what you think the problem is and if its as obvious to you as it was to me after a Lil harder inspection.

Hint: a Lil grinding maybe in order.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Heres a good shot of the problem

Last edited by AA_Ezra; 08-28-2006 at 11:09 PM..
Old 08-28-2006, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: