Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

drivetrain "backlash"

let me see if i have what's known as "backlash".

when i go from power-on to power-off in first, second, and sometimes third, it's accompanied by a sudden jerk. similarly, when i put the power back on, it's accompanied by an even bigger jerk in the drivetrain.

do i need to replace my clutch too?

Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yah! It's der klutchanting.

It's also called wrap up. Keep jerking it back and forth and there will be no clutch real soon.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

16 labour hours.

How much is this gonna cost at a shop?

Speaking of shops... can anyone reccomend one within easy limping distance of Champaign, IL?

Last edited by optimusprime; 09-09-2006 at 05:53 PM..
Old 09-09-2006, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah there is a shop on Springfield just west of 1st street called Ricks Automotive. They do a lot of work on 944s (they actually support a couple track cars). They charged me a pretty good rate too. Both legion and I have had work done with them. Did you have your 944 on campus two years ago?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No i didn't have it on campus two years ago.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Clutch...please......Come on guys you know it is due to our very torque laden powerplants!
If the shop suggested falls through there is Eurosport in Bensonville, I will personally guarantee the work. Ask for Steve.

Happy stationary motoring!

Dal
Old 09-10-2006, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Have it checked to see if it is the clutch. I have found that 944's are rougher than the average car when transitioning on/off the throttle. Some jerk is normal.

Buy my parts!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I agree with Zero, basically. If the clutch is the original rubber-centred one, then yes, I'd think that too much backlash means it's dead. But the spring-centred clutch is less forgiving and more 'jerky'. I upgraded to the latter and the car is a little jerky on and off throttle in lower gears.

Is there a lag between the time you hit the gas and the time you get the jerk?
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Labor rates may vary from shop to shop. Find the most honest tech in your area and stick with 'em.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Slam
I want to say yes.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 924Sman
If the shop suggested falls through there is Eurosport in Bensonville, I will personally guarantee the work.
Haha I'm struggling to figure out how to get it 1 mile, let alone 150.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
idontknow

I posted this in another article but it might help

Check the CV joints. Jack the rear end up, you only need to jack up one side to test. Put the car in 1st gear and rotate the rear tire back and forth. hold the CV joint /driveaxle in one hand and feel the difference of movement. If a/many cv joint/s are bad, you'll probably hear the clunking but definitely feel a difference in movement. eg. CV joint moves, drive axle does not = bad CV joint. If the CVs are good and you think it's the ring and pinion, pop the little inspection plug from the forward nose cone of the tranny and rotate the tire again. If the driveline shaft doesnt move but the wheel does, it's in the tranny. If the driveline shaft does move, it's not in the rear end.

Was looking for another post-In neutral try and twist drivetrain through nose cone and if you get like a 45 deg twist either direction you should feel if clutch rubber is gone-Socal is inevitably correct - Paul

Hope it helps. I had all 4 CV joints bad when I got my car. The car made a clunking noise every time applied power or shifted. Didn't think too much of it. Eventually one of the CVs started making BAD clunking noises whenever the car was rolling. After replacing the CV joints I found that the clunking action was also eroding the R&P. $320 for 4 new CVs and $1200 for a rebuilt tranny and I/my bank account have learned a very valuable lesson.

Hope it helps

Last edited by Paul Glasson; 09-11-2006 at 03:28 AM..
Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

quote:
Originally posted by Slam

I want to say yes.

You can say yes. It's okay, we're all friends. I sometimes talk to my car when we're alone together. Sometimes I'm monosyllabic...

If there's a lag then it's probably clutch time.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I get a small jerk when I suddenly let off throttle in 1, 2, and 3. It feels like I hit the brakes, but it's just let off. I also have a knock or cluck when I let the clutch out out low speeds and don't rev match. I figure it's the rubber center knocking. The clutch is still very very strong though. Stonger than my other veicles. So I'm living with it.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The knock is the 'ears' on the clutch that act as a fail-safe so you can limp home after the rubber centre fails. Eventually they'll shear off and you'll be walking. I'd have that thing out and changed soon if I were you. Just MHO, though...

Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: