Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Burn the fire.

Garage
What might this run me in parts

Looking at doing my rear wheel bearings this month. I've started to notice a 'clicking' from the passenger's side CV joint on acceleration. This is from within the car and I can't tell exactly if it's the inner CV joint or the outer CV joint. I'm thinking since the tub has over 260k on it, I should replace both rear axles (complete). Not sure what I'm looking at in cost for good used parts. I can find out what new OEM will cost me, but I have a feeling that's going to be at least 2 to 3 times what a pair of good used complete axles will cost me. Retail on the stub axles (no CVs, no half-shafts) alone is $450ish from Porsche and that's way unaffordable. I haven't found out how much the CVs and shafts are yet but I'm scared to know.

Opinions/ideas welcome, as well as guesstimations

Thanks!

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 09-10-2006, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Rebuild axles can run between $100 and $200 each. If you can get decent discount you could cut that in half. Or you could buy the CV's and just replace them. Get the bolts and lock washers too.

I have a set of alumimun rear trailing arms. Don't know what condition the bearings are in.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Try www.partsheaven.com and see what they have to say as far as stub axles go. Anything new try calling George at 944 Ecology. Those stub axles are pricey pretty much anywhere you go, though.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 09-10-2006, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Panzer, thank you I will check them out when I get home this afternoon.

SoCal, got any spare stubby axles for sale? I'm unsure what condition mine are in, but I think if they're shot, then replacement will be in order. You may be right about just the CV joints, and I can maybe price those a bit less than what they retail for...

Ooh, this wheel bearing install's gonna be fu-uu-uuun

Last edited by Brando; 09-10-2006 at 12:22 PM..
Old 09-10-2006, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
As I said I have complete trailing arms. If I sell them they go as complete units. Hubs, stubs, p-brakes, etc.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I just found out I can get the bearings for less than what pelican sells them, as well as the CVs, I may be going that route. SoCal, need some new bearings?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Bearings for the early are different than the later.

You will need a press to get the bearings out and back in.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Crap. The last thing I really want to do is pull my trailing arms to do bearings. I was hoping I could use the torch, heat up the aluminum and use a slide hammer and a bearing puller to get it out. But if I've got the thing on a lift I might as well yank the trailing arm, right? I just wanted to avoid disconnecting all the other crap...

Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Not like the fronts. A decent bearing press should get the dual race bearing out and back in. Maybe a little heat will help both ways. No need to melt it down.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I've done rear bearings on the aluminum arms a couple times with a large punch/drift and a 5lb baby sledge. Takes some hammering but it is not all that difficult.

For the most part Paragon is the cheapest source for CV's and wheel bearings.
$194/side for brand new CV shafts
$47.45/each for rear wheel bearings.
Total cost of $500 in parts. For that price, why bother going used?....
Used CV's - ~$100-$200/pair, and you would still need to change your wheel bearings. I don't see much point in buying a used trailing arm just to get out of doing wheel bearings, since that would be MUCH more work.

All of that said, I see no reason to replace the stub axles unless they are badly damaged. On the late cars you should replace the axle nut each time it is removed however. I have not priced that item out.

Buy my parts!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have a set of bearings laying around.

Oh crap, they were standby's from the old 944 ( early one 85.0 ) so they won't work.

I remember someone finding some part #'s from a retail shop ( Napa, Kragen, AutoZone ) for axles dirt cheap, cheaper than any other vendor. I can't recall the details, but I do remember it was a "find"

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 09-12-2006, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

In addition to applying heat to the trailing arm, put the dual race bearing in the freezer for a couple of hours prior to installation. The factory manual recommends heating the trailing arm to about 300 C if my memory is correct. That's 572 F. The heating is for both removal and installation of the new one. Aluminum expands more than steel (about twice as much per degree) so, hence, the recommendation for heat to remove old one.

Last time I changed one of mine I used the Sir Tool.

Also, I purchased a stub axle from Partsheaven a number of years and 40K miles ago. Was not expensive.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i

Last edited by Lawrence Coppari; 09-12-2006 at 03:24 AM..
Old 09-12-2006, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Don, I'll take the early rear bearings! Have the rest of the items? Seals?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Don, I'll take the early rear bearings! Have the rest of the items? Seals?
I think I bought the whole set.
I believe I might have used a front one on Jullies car at a Rennlist wrenching session, but not sure.

I guess I'll just send them ... or it's an excuse to make a drive. I'm working all this week, but have to go up to Legolands (LBC) place on any days off next week, which will take me up the 15 to the 91 , we could meet in OC.

Let me know ..

(looking for bearings now)

Don

EDIT: I Have
(2) bearings marked as "IN" . Valucraft V6 UPC-53893-94312
(2) bearings marked as "OUT" Timken Set2 UPC-53893-73011
(2) Seals - Timken - 1012N
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat

Last edited by Don 944 LA; 09-12-2006 at 11:53 AM..
Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send me a PM on how mucho dollars. Speaking of Jullie; been talking at her about some spark plug cables specifcally the coil to dist wire. Is her car down thar some whar?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
If your looking for bearings Brando, try I got a full set of front bearings and seals for $34.50 +shipping. He also has the rears. He runs a ebay store too and there the rear set can be had for $85+shipping. Cheapest source I found by far.

Reminds me, I need to call Legoland about a set of struts he has..

Past:
89' 944 S2 Guards Red Now in the hands of a Pelican who has been wanting another p-car
Old 09-13-2006, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Send me a PM on how mucho dollars. Speaking of Jullie; been talking at her about some spark plug cables specifcally the coil to dist wire. Is her car down thar some whar?
Last I saw her was a while ago.
She has moved to a new place (still in LA) afaik

As far as price, I forget what I paid (it was retail ), so I have no idea what the market rate is, so just give me a figure (PM), and I'll drop them by the next time up there.
I need every dime I can get nowadays ...

Don

@ McFLY, I think I have an eye on a set of struts he has. I hope they aren't the same ones.
Lola's Bouncing all over the road LOL

Don
Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Don 944 LA
.......................Lola's Bouncing all over the road LOL

Don

If she's a bouncing like your avatar, I would just be happy as could be if I were you!

Oh, wait a minute, your talking about a car. Ummm, I had a hard time with the visual there!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Don 944 LA
Lola's Bouncing all over the road LOL
You know what they say...

If this 944 is a-rockin'... It needs shocks.

Bit of an update and *bump* to on-topicness, ordered the first rear wheel bearing today. Damage wasn't too bad (little less than pelican's price) and I'll be doing a left-rear bearing pull either monday morning or all day tuesday.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: