Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sock Bandit strikes again !!!!!!! & It's ME !!!

For those that do not know the story of the "Socks", the search function is your friend ...

Anyway ......

Today I go to get a new battery for the new 944.
I just happen to go into AutoZone to check prices, and it seems that my old one was purchased from them, and was within weeks of the 2 - year free replacement. The battery read as "dead" by the sales person, so I was getting one for FREE !!!!

So ..... I figure, lets upgrade a little, so I get the 850/1000 CCA battery that closely resembles mine. It's a little taller, but has side terminals, so no worries about hitting the hood.

So with battery in hand with assorted side post adapters and the nickel and dime stuff they sell you, I was quite the happy camper for less than a $20

Turns out this particlular battery has the terminals backwards from what the stock one has, and the ground wire does not reach ... soooo... into the store I go and buy an extension wire ( top post clamp on one end & 2 - set screw equiped female ends on the other ) I also buy a post extender ( looks like a double bolt ) and a female set of post adapters (only needed one)...

So now I have something to extend the ground (-) side of the battery ...

OK, now onto the SOCKS !!!!!

No matter how I got the thing in there, it was dangerously close to arcing on the brake lines and the body, so I figure, I have to get something in there to keep the battery biased to the rear. I go looking around the car, and in the rear cubby was a bag with a spare set of clothes ( jeans, t-shirt etc ..) with ... you guessed it .. SOCKS ...

so with socks in hand, and a big grin ... I stuffed them around the terminal to keep it from arc welding as I drove ...

I will of course be doing a proper job of it ASAP, and get rid of the socks ...

.... too bad I didn't have some lamp cord

**** Those that are not familiar with this "Sock Issue" will not get the joke, but some will ...

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 09-11-2006, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm assuming the battery you installed originally went into a server UPS as well...

AFJ

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Cheers! Love it!
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I hope you color coded.
Did you notice the improved performance?

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Porsche or Audi socks?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I could tell how close it was by the melted lead on the post

It took everything I had to NOT put socks on that thing ... but that was my only option, I even tried a water bottle full of air ..

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
I'm assuming the battery you installed originally went into a server UPS as well...

AFJ
I forgot that it was a UPS battery ...
I wish you had gotten pics of that, those would forever go down in history ..

Well, now that you mention it .... The last 944 had a battery in the back as well ( mucho computer stuff on board ), and the next installment ( The HIVE II ) will probably have UPS batteries in the rear cubby .... I think I'll hold them down with lamp cord

hahahahahahahha too funny

It seems that integrated computers can't really handle the engine cranking, and I would have to isolate it while cranking the engine.

Don
Old 09-12-2006, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Sadly if they were red socks they probably serve better in this capacity than my beloved Boston-based team by the same name has been performing lately.

Nice one!

Black Cars Matter
Old 09-12-2006, 01:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Don 944 LA
I forgot that it was a UPS battery ...
I wish you had gotten pics of that, those would forever go down in history .
Don
Pull the original post, there was a pic of the UPS battery.

hehehe

AFJ

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 09-12-2006, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I just got new blinker fluid at Auto Zone, DOT4. It's on sale.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 09-13-2006, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: