Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I think my car is haunted

It's a project car really, I have only driven it abour 100 miles this year.
I start it up once a week.
Last week it would not start, no fire from the coil (new coil).
I checked all the wires, everything was fine so I ordered another new coil.
Next day I was getting ready to pull the old coil out and tried it one more time, it started right up
So as I was putting the coil cover back on, the headlight doors started opening and closing by themselves (key out of the ignition), this went on for about 1 minute!!!
I checked all the wiring, grounds, fuses, ect.... and everything is tight and fine!
How the heck can that happen??
My headlight doors do not come up when I turn on the lights unless I have the key on.
It has not done it agian, everything seems fine now

Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Yea, but it's a dry heat

Ron,

My headlights do this also on occassion. I attribute this to electrical gremlins. Wonder if any of the electrical experts here have run into this and can suggest a solution?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

bad ignition switch?

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to schnork
I had my lights go up and down and up and down a few years ago -- finally figured out that it is a failed headlight motor control relay that the electrical gremlins use to cause this.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

my car would swallow parts. i had a complete set of new pulleys and rollers in a bag in my car, including the timing pulley for the crankshaft. when it came time to replace those parts, the crankshaft pulley, which is not small, was just gone. also, i dropped some screws on the floor when removing the console and they just disappeared, along with a relay. i even had the seats out. the parts were just gone.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Nynor...I can relate to your symptoms...Mine does that occasionally as well.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ron, mine too.

Sometimes when I drop the headlamps, they will carry on cycling up and down. Usually popping the bonnet and jiggling the relay on the side of the motor cures it. Although recently they've not been to bad. (knocks on wood)

Lindsey boost enhancer, 3 bar FPR, Bailey BOV and Promax chips.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i had this too, a while back. driving home from work, the headlights went up and down, all by themselves. i remember thinking "now thats something you dont come across too often". well, later that day they kept cycling up and down. all manner of warning lights on the dash, and to top it off, the engine kept running, with the key out !! if i switched on the headlights, the engine stopped!!
talk about car being haunted.
well, apparently a wire got trapped, when my alarm was installed, and about 15 wires all melted together. really bad mess.
there is no fuse in the headlamp motor circuit, so if it goes tits up, it will draw whatever current it can, and it will set your car on fire, so beware.
check clarks garage, for faultfinding on the headlamp motor/circuit, and play it safe!
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys.
I can't see any pinched wires or loose connections.
Guess I'll keep looking.
Now I'm afraid of fire
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

have you checked the relay that is attached to the headlight motor?

Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by nynor
have you checked the relay that is attached to the headlight motor?
Kinda, it's there and it's plugged in
Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

LOL
best test ever....

"have you checked the light bulb to see if it works?"
"kinda.. it's screwed in the socket and the lamp is plugged in..."

Old 10-16-2006, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
It is probably the contacts inside of the motor itself. There is a good guide to cleaning them over on Clark's garage. This or a failing relay can commonly trigger the headlights cycling problem.

Buy my parts!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Always with the headlight switch, eh? The contacts become intermittent, and changes in temperature, humidity, phases of the moon, can wreak havoc with them. And now, with winter coming, these things pop up (or don't, depending on how your switch is doing). I had a fire years ago because of this problem, and it was fixed by a mechanic for me. This summer I spent quite a while cutting out his work and replacing wires. What I found interesting was the green and red wire from the switch to the motor control relay showed signs of burning again - that's the culprit. I even considered running a completely separate control for the headlight motor and getting all that wiring and voltage out of the headlight switch circuit.

The car used to retract its headlights whenever it felt like it, and removing the relay at the motor led to a short that started the fire. Leave that relay in unless you're just taking it out to clean it or replace it.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Quote:
Originally posted by P0WER
Kinda, it's there and it's plugged in
ok. i give up.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

hahahaha poor nynor...

Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

actually, the victim is power's car...

Old 10-17-2006, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

i just stopped using my headlights....... night vision goggles works for me??

coastal cruzer
Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: