Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oxidized paint question?

Hey guys,
This probably has been asked many a time but i have a red 944, which has suffered from the paint faiding.

Ive heard that around the year it was made '85 that there was a bad batch of 2 pack paint? im not sure how true this is but its what i found on the internet.

The paint has faded on the bonnet and sunroof, the rest of the car isnt too bad, its like a oxidization (sp) as it will scratch off with your finger nail.

Has anyone else had the same problem? I t-cutted small areas and its not really brought it up too well, im thinking its not abrasive enough and im considering compounding the bonnet and roof? Is there any product you can buy for this job?

Are there many UK people on this board by the way? as i might not be able to get products you guys have.

thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
I am pretty sure red and white (those are the two colors i remember) were not clear coated from the factory and are notorious for fading. My guards red car was also heavily faded, the worse areas are the areas that see direct sunlight..the roof, front and rear bumpers and the hood which is the worse. I was able to polish the paint by hand to a pretty decent luster but the hood and roof require constant attention before they get a hazy, cloudly look in the reflection.

I would consider trying a more abrasive compound, just be careful you dont burn through the paint!
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 09-17-2006, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I used Meguires three step solution to get the oxidation off my paint. The three steps are 1. Cleaner 2. Polish 3. Wax(I use the nxt generation tech wax) This is the best solution I found and many people have asked if it was repainted.
'93 325is Red, aftermarket rims, pirelli tires, 95,000 miles
Old 09-17-2006, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
I should have mentioned, the stuff i used was actually the Meguiars 3-step that liljon mentioned.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 09-17-2006, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Red no matter the brand will fade, just a matter of time and care by the owner.
That said if the oxidation is not too deep into the base you can use a buffer and compound to buff out then re seal. My 87 has clear coat. May need to cut the entire car out and re clear coat as well. Do a test area w/rubbing compound and see how deep the oxidation is before trying to buff it out. May not be alot of base coat left and start seeing white primer.

Dal
Old 09-18-2006, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have been in industries that have used thr common pruducts in 55 gal drums ..

I would recommend using :
Red compound ( little white round tin )
White Coumpound ( little white round tin )
McGuires Paint cleaner
McGuires Polish, multiple times as it replenishes the oils in the new surface.
once it looks OK, wash the hell out of it, with brushes in every crevace ..

Repeat the polish 2 or 3 more times (yeah, buy a couple bttles)

finish off with Carnuba
Carnuba I think is best applied from a hard paste for a few coats, then use a soft paste or the liquid ..

Thats my process .. now I just need decent paint to do it ..

** I'm afraid mines destined to be resprayed, in the rear as a minimum.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Deplorable Member

Garage
It's 20-year-old paint. Even very good paint at that age would probably show some aging unless it's been very well cared for, garaged, covered, etc.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with a good-quality respray in my opinion. So it ain't "factory". Big deal. If it's done well what would you rather have - crappy factory paint or great-looking non-factory paint (that's a more modern chemical composition as well and liable to last longer)?

I see respraying in the near future for my fleet - I just refuse to get a "cheapo" job - I want good paint and the work done by someone that knows what they're doing even if it's a little more $$$.

Black Cars Matter
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Actually it is never the painting but the PREP! Poor prep=poor finish. If one does a bang up prep job any paint will look good including respraying.

Dal
Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i bought a machine buffer today, and bought some "red" t-cut and wow its come up, ive only done the bonnet but its made one hell of a difference. Theres a couple of spots of "milky" looking paint but i think it will come off.

Its not the best but its put off having to respray the car,

so the question now is what polish do people use apart from the mentioned mcguires to keep on top of the oxidising?

thanks for all the replys people
Old 09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Quote:
Originally posted by britaxcooper

so the question now is what polish do people use apart from the mentioned mcguires to keep on top of the oxidising?

Can't help but the best way to avoid oxidation is to park in the shade if at all possible or get a car cover that blocks out UV if there is such a thing.

Dal
Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

very good suggestion! id be intrested if theres a cover that would protect it, ill have alook about.

Theres not much shade in my back garden, although its not sunny much either! thats the UK in general.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
I use Mother's. Both are good.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 09-18-2006, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Non metalic red is the hardest colour the keep in good condition as it has the worst oxidation of all paints. Just remember when you cut and polish you remove approx 1micron of the painted surface to expose the fresh paint under neath there by giving back the luster. The best idea is to seal the finish with a good sealer, I use Magiurs Gold Canarba wax as it seems to last better than all the different products I have used. And Down in in the land of Aus the paint takes alot of punishment.
So what I suggest is to take the car to a profesional and have them do their best, that will make it easier for you to mantain useing the sealer of your choice.
Iam in the process of painting my car useing a gaurds red base coat with a clear over the top, and yes the better the prep the better the finish, there are no short cuts for a perfect job.
Sorry if I was a bit long winded. (my 2 cents less tax)

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 09-21-2006, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

mother's clay bar, then realseal with scratch X, then nu-finish,,,twice

coastal cruzer
Old 09-22-2006, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: