Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Let's talk: a future 944

So I have had this running in my head for a while now. With Porsche doing all these new things- SUV, mid engined Cayman, 4 door saloon... it makes you wonder how long it will be until they roll out a new, front engined rear wheel drive entry level sportscar to compete with the likes of the Mazda RX8, MX5, Honda S2000, BMW 3 series, etc. That nice price range between 30K$ and 50K$ which is currently ignored as far as buying Porsches new is concerned.

Obviously with the new 4 door Panamera coming out, and the already here Cayenne, traditional rear engined/mid engined ways at Porsche are not as important anymore, as was the 80's.

If there was a new 944-area car to be built, what would it be like? What would it be called? (Calling it a 944 would bring some definate sales as the 944 was a hugely sucessful car, even though a lot of Porschephiles won't admit that in the open.) What kind of engine would it use? What kind of styling cues would it take from the other models, or, maybe more importantly for the US-market- what kind of peices/look would it use from the old 944? Remember, they were making 968's all the way up to, 1994 wasn't it? And to think the Boxster was being pretty much finalized in 95-96... it hasn't changed much over the years.. what would stop Porsche from going back and taking the S2 cabrio/S3 (968s) and re-engineering the cars a bit.

Most of all.. who would like to see something like this?

I am just wondering if everyone thinks the way I do. I owuld love to see Porsche start where they left off on the 968. Make it something to compete with the Redline Saturn and the other 'niche' cars coming out soon, especially the Muscle cars from detroit. When I look at a mid 80's 944... it says to me "European Muscle Car"... The styling is still nearly timeless..

As per entertainment, I will upload a little photoshop to get everyone excited:
Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

little more photorealistic now... (notice the camera date in the corner... left that there for $@#ts ...)

Old 10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Unless you know something I don't, I wouldn't hold my breath for any new front-engine sports cars from Porsche. The Cayenne and the upcoming 4-door (Panamera?) are just efforts to grab market share and stay independent. But if Porsche were to merge with another company, then they probably would build a front-engine sports car on a shared platform, similar to the arrangement between the Touareg and the Cayenne.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 10-09-2006, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have been thinking of this for a LONG time. I think it would be awesome! Heres my ideas:

Exterior Styling
I havent thought of this much, but schumi what you did looks phenominal. I would take away the rear lip and add a small aero wing or something, and of course the 968 handles and mirrors. Also i think the popup headlights need to be redesigned into fixed, but not the gt racing ones. And of course 18" twists.

Drivetrain
OH man i would love a small displacement v6 w/ variocam (or turbo), and of course the rear transaxle, yummy!

Interior
Boxster styling, and instead of the rear seats how about a shelf or extend the bed.

A new 944 would be totally sick, to bad i couldnt afford one.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

as long as they dont design it to look like all the other new Porsches on the market today. The cayman, cayenne, boxster, and every 911 all share similar styling features in my opinion. For instance the first cayenne front end (especially headlights) easily resembles the 997's of the same year, which is fine, but when VW sold their 924 design to Porsche in the 70's, Porsche had nothing like it. SO if they redesigned a 944 it should NOT resemble a current 911 or any other model. Does anyone agree or disagree?

A modern 944 would have to look very modern but also have many characteristics of the original 944's. The main ingredient of course is the hatchback design with an engine in the front. Pop-up lights are no longer allowed to be made, so thats out of the picture, but they can use other ideas like the low-profile black wing in the back.
1986 951 camo (drift pig 3.0)
1983 944 green (the bean! / daily driver)
Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
From what I have heard there is already a 2 door coupe based off of the Panorama with the cayanne engine choices, a V8, a turbo V8 , or a V10. But we'll see how far that actually goes.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well, from what I read in 2011 there will be a new 928 with a V8 or the possibility of the Carrera GT V10
Old 10-10-2006, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by drift a 944
as long as they dont design it to look like all the other new Porsches on the market today. The cayman, cayenne, boxster, and every 911 all share similar styling features in my opinion. For instance the first cayenne front end (especially headlights) easily resembles the 997's of the same year, which is fine, but when VW sold their 924 design to Porsche in the 70's, Porsche had nothing like it. SO if they redesigned a 944 it should NOT resemble a current 911 or any other model. Does anyone agree or disagree?

A modern 944 would have to look very modern but also have many characteristics of the original 944's. The main ingredient of course is the hatchback design with an engine in the front. Pop-up lights are no longer allowed to be made, so thats out of the picture, but they can use other ideas like the low-profile black wing in the back.
I dissagree, Porsche is more evolution, the 968 was looking a lot more 993 when it was fazed out of production in favour of the Boxster.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Rrrockhound
Unless you know something I don't, I wouldn't hold my breath for any new front-engine sports cars from Porsche. The Cayenne and the upcoming 4-door (Panamera?) are just efforts to grab market share and stay independent. But if Porsche were to merge with another company, then they probably would build a front-engine sports car on a shared platform, similar to the arrangement between the Touareg and the Cayenne.
Actually, there is talk of a front-engined water cooled 2-door Porsche with a V8 motor, ala the 928. This car would be based on the new Panamerica 4-door. All speculative, of course. But the fact that the Panamerica has been given the green light, I could foresee them creating a 2-door car on the same platform - it would certainly be cost effective to do so, since most of the R&D would have already been done on the 4-door.

There was an "artist's rendering" pic of a possible 928 in last month's Road and Track, btw.
-Z-man

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 10-10-2006, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
I seriously doubt that Porsche will roll out a sports car with a price tag lower than the Boxster's. I think their lineup is pretty much set - Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Carrera, Panamera, high-performance 911s (GT3, GT2, Turbo), and CGT.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-10-2006, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think that if Porsche were to take the last of the968's and start producing them again- only modifications being new fuel injection and engine managment systems and maybe a few new materials here and there to make the car lighter, with a very slight style update, and put it back in the showrooms.... it would be a hit. If it were priced around 30K$. Mind you I doubt they could price it that low, being as the last of the 968's in 1994 were well over 40K weren't they? And that was 12 years ago. I guess the best way to have a new 968 is just go find an older one and redo it yourself.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Pop-up lights are no longer allowed to be made,
Where did this idea come from? They're perfectly legal in the US at least.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Corvettes had them until last year!
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Schumi, I don't think anyone would disagree with your theory of the 968 being successful, but I don't think Porsche is going to build anything that is competition to the Boxster. They don't want to build two cars that compete against each other, Porsche has enough competition from the other car makers so they don't need to compete against themselves.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If they ever do something like this it will be via their partnership with VW. Perhpas a car with some Porsche wizardry under the hood and in the suspension but wearing the VW logo.

1998 Glacier White Boxster
1971 Fiat 124 Spyder
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Razorback1980
Schumi, I don't think anyone would disagree with your theory of the 968 being successful, but I don't think Porsche is going to build anything that is competition to the Boxster. They don't want to build two cars that compete against each other, Porsche has enough competition from the other car makers so they don't need to compete against themselves.
Smartest thing I've heard all day. They allowed this to happen with the 951 and the Carrera 3.2 in the late 1980s (almost identical performance for an almost identical price), and the 924S and 944NA... they were producing two cars for each one potential customer.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
Where did this idea come from? They're perfectly legal in the US at least.
no longer legal in the US... google it!

by this I mean they are legal on cars which already include them obviously, just not for manufactures to make anymore.
1986 951 camo (drift pig 3.0)
1983 944 green (the bean! / daily driver)
Old 10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

keep the boxster in it's current price range - ~$54000.
theres plenty of room below that for a front engined, rear wheel drive coupe. I don't think that people would see a 944 as competition for a boxster.

944 = FR, 2+2, hatchback, 4 cyl. , 34,000$ target price.
Boxster = MR, 2 seater, cabrio, flat 6, 54,000$ sticker.

There is enough difference there to make... a difference.
The 944 would take some sales away from the boxster but then again it would be a totally different flavor/look. Those who want the 'new' (996-on IMO) Porsche look would go for the flat-6 power boxster and those who want a more euro-muscle sportscar to romp around in (for the same reasons why people by mustang GTs, vettes - cheap power) there's the 944.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
You make a good point Schumi, but Porsche doesn't want to be in that market. If everyone had one sitting in their driveway, then the half million dollar cars wouldn't sell. It's sad really but the people that buy the high end Porsches do so partly because...not everyone owns a Porsche. Porsche wants to sell to the high end drivers and doesn't want to become a VW. They make VW's for that lower end market.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 10-11-2006, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
no longer legal in the US... google it!

by this I mean they are legal on cars which already include them obviously, just not for manufactures to make anymore.
When I google it, I see a lot of people claiming they're illegal, but absolutely zero links to the applicable statutes.

You'll need to provide me a link to the applicable law for me to believe it. (Yes, you need to provide it as you made the claim.)

That said, pop-up headlights are essentially unnecessary anymore. Current "pedestrian safety" laws (how about this, we stop morons from jaywalking and they won't get hit) have raised the bumper and hood heights of cars to the extent that headlights no longer have to be raised above the leading edge of the hood in order to be at legal height.

Also, the US no longer requires the use of sealed-beam headlights which gives designers much more freedom in headlight design so that they don't have to deal with having a 7" round headlight on an otherwise sleak car.

The combination of a minimum headlight height and the old US requirement of sealed-beams meant that retracting headlights were essentially necessary to allow any sort of low hood or non-blunt front end. There's no designer in the world who would choose to have to include a heavy, complicated and potentially un-reliable retracting mechanism for the headlights if he didn't have to and now they don't have to.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 10-11-2006, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: