Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to forzajuve1 Send a message via Yahoo to forzajuve1
Porsche Crest 944 for sale?

Hi guys im currently 15, and looking for a car to drive. I only now how to work on porsche and dont know anything about other cars. The car I am interested in is a later 944 guards red and any interior will do if it is a turbo that would be great (i need a car to keep up with my dads 911). if the car needs paint or motor work I can work on it as long is its running.
any suggestions guys if you would like to email me at calciocrazy92@yahoo.com
thanks

"There is no substitute."
Old 12-24-2006, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Just make sure you inquire about insurance rates before you buy a turbo. Awesome cars, but will likely cost about double to insure at your age.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Are we talking status or the track when you say "keep up" with your dad? What are his thoughts? I wouldn't suggest buying a 944 as a first car for all the obvious reasons. There's tons of threads on this topic here but thats just my $0.02..........
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 12-25-2006, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to boarder22lb
He porsche 944 is my first car:-d. I think it is a good car to learn clutch on, i mean on my 944 it is much easier than the new hopped up cars. Their clutches are a bit harder to get the hang of and w/ the 944 u learn very well:-p. And yes it can be fun to drive, hard to get on 2 wheels, and worstly it is a cop magnet when it is coloured red.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by boarder22lb
He porsche 944 is my first car:-d. I think it is a good car to learn clutch on, i mean on my 944 it is much easier than the new hopped up cars. Their clutches are a bit harder to get the hang of and w/ the 944 u learn very well:-p. And yes it can be fun to drive, hard to get on 2 wheels, and worstly it is a cop magnet when it is coloured red.
I think Yellow is more than red. Having owned a darker red and Yellow.

I have never had any trouble from any police officers, I have had a few try to find something wrong. For a first car, get an old 944 thats not quite the best, it will cost more to keep it running, but you won't need to crie if it gets hurt. My '85 had 215,000 miles on it when the Tundra going straight hit it in the right rear at near full speed while I and the car and front where stopped for a left turn. I had no where to go sadly to dodge it. Boom, end of car. Its likely to happen when you are new.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I wouldn't make "keeping up with the old man" a reason for buying a car. This might tick off a couple of people but going after a 911 with a 44.......even a turbo, is kind of like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Trust me, just look at my signature.
I like the 44's they are great cars but they arn't race cars. (unless you infuse a boatload of cash) They make great cars to begin your driving life with because of the handeling charistics. They don't get bent out of shape easily, and they recover very well.
I applaude your choice of car, just re-think the reason.
Good luck
Old 12-25-2006, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Rick, I sincerely hope you aren't including the 951 with your summary of the 944 ....

Welcome to the board, forzajuve1. Getting your driver's license is an exciting time of your life... but I honestly think going after a Porsche for your first car is a big mistake. Let me explain why.

Let me start by saying that I am only 26 years old, I'm not some grouchy old man that waves his fist when skateboarders use the sidewalk. When I was 16, I attempted to get a 944. I am glad now that I didn't.

No matter how good a driver you are (or think you are) when you are 16, you will be about 300% better after 5 or 6 years of driving. This has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with experience. The car I ended up with when I was 16 was a 1987 Jeep Cherokee sport 4.0 - a pretty nice car for a teenager. I was unquestionably one of the more responsible drivers of my peers, but the car still got trashed. A bump here, a dent there, it happens. ESPECIALLY in a high school parking lot.

By the time I was 18, practically every one of my peers had been in some kind of accident. Those with "sporty" cars (a Camaro, an Acura Integra, a BMW 325) had totalled said cars by the time they graduated HS. To my knowledge they weren't doing anything mind-blowingly stupid; they were simply driving a little faster than they should have been, and didn't have the experience or the level of car control to keep the car on the road.

When I finally got a 944, I was 19. I would have vehemently disagreed with the idea at the time, but I know now that I wasn't ready for a performance car - at least, not for one I wanted to keep in good shape. It was involved in a minor accident a year into its ownership. Basically I was driving too fast in the rain and lost control, and didn't have the level of experience to keep the tail in line. If it happened to me now, I'm sure I would have handled it (the 951's tail can kick out relatively easily on dry tarmac if I give it a jab of throttle - fun stuff)... but that comes with experience. Well, I fixed the 944 and it was still in pretty good condition when I sold it, but I wish the crash had never happened.

In all honesty, a Porsche is not a very good first car. There is too much temptation to drive fast. There is unwanted attention from cops. There is unwanted attention from azzhole HS kids who might key it or something. There is the LARGE possibility of a HS parking lot mishap.

The way to go is to get a "fun" beater for your first car - an old Golf, for example - and hone your driving skills. Attend a PCA DE with your father. Drive in all conditions - rain, snow, etc. - so you know how to control a car. After a couple years, buy a 944. The wait will be worth it.

I know you won't take my advice, but I had to put in my $.02 anyhow.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 12-26-2006, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
CJFusco,

Well put. When I was a kid I wanted a SS396 Chevelle. My uncle, a Chevy car dealer, wouldn't sell me one because he said I would kill myself. Looking back, he was right. I have an 18 year old son who wanted a Hemi - Magnum for his first car. He didn't get it for the same reason I didn't get the Chevelle.

No regrets from him or my son.

There is a time and place for owning a performance car. Driving is not a video game; destroy the car and you don't get another chance with the car or lives.

To forzajuve1: I like your enthusiam but IMHO, wait a bit. You will get your chance; in due time.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
Rick, I sincerely hope you aren't including the 951 with your summary of the 944 ....

Depends on the 911 No harm intended, all in good fun.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
And depends on the 951
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 12-26-2006, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

the only thing is guys that I only know how to work on porsches, see I apprentice a guy that rebuilds 911's for a living I have done electrical to engine to paint I know these cars like the back of my hand. even though my dad has a ford focus and said I can have it but I am itching for a German Auto Machine. Ok so some of you say a 944 is a bad decision well how about a 912? well let me change the topic of the thread. what porsche is the best one in your opinion for a first car. I have already accepted the fact I am not gonna get a 911 but I do see the 944 and 912 as likely candidates.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Let me impart some advice about working on cars. I am a wrench, I have been doing it for a living for over 20 years. If you have the aptitude for working on Porsche then you have it for working on anthing. A piston does the same job in every car. A valve..............you get my point.
I would follow the advice already given by the others, and wait. Buy a BMW E30 318. Learn how to handle yourself, get a few years behind the wheel. Then go buy your Porsche. You will be better off in the long run. There is no substitute for time behind the wheel.

A little story:
When I was about 35ish, I had 20 years of driving under my belt. I really thought I knew it all, I can drift,I love the twisties, and I was able to get out of any situation I was presented with. My wife had enrolled me in the Bill Scott Racing School for a day of instructor led classes. When I hit turn 1 at Summit Point I realized I didn't know a damn thing about driving.
Granted I was going over 100mph and turn 1 is a hairpin, I was reminded me you are never too old to learn.
You are 15, the learning curve is very steep for you right now. Set your sights on buying the Porsche when you are 20, you will thank us.........trust me.
If it makes you feel anybetter I waited until I was 40 to buy the 911 I have wanted since childhood. (My Father was a Porsche wrench when I was a kid, I know what you are going through right now)
Old 12-26-2006, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
And depends on the 951

I like water world...........Ya'll play nice
Old 12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AznDrgn
When you say you only know how to work on Porsche's I'm assuming your experience is with a 911? If that is true then it doesn't matter what you are going to get because working on it is going to be different. The water cooled cars are worlds apart from the 944's especially if it's one of the older CIS cars. Rick is right when it comes down to basics of engine theory but past that the 944 and the 911 motors have completely different systems and a 944 is an expensive platform to make mistakes and learn on. Not trying to bash your hopes but I've owned a Porsche since I was 15 (now 24) and it's been great but I started out with the 924 which had a non interference VW motor and let me tell you I made a LOT of mistakes that would have put killed the bank had it been a 944.
'78 Porsche 924 NA- RIP
'89 Porsche 944 S2 - Parted

Looking for a nice 944S for a daily driver.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Buy a GTI girls love em!

my 85 944 was my second car
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 12-26-2006, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

so basically get a non porsche for my first car. me and my dad were talking about a Gti and a bmw. I learned how to drive a stick in a 911 SC. and it was pretty rough. After I jumped in my bosses M3 and it was smooth. so i think I will start of with a bmw any suggestions on what I should get I am pretty fond of the M3 or just a i525, i have seen many of those on sale.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RadioDjKev Send a message via Yahoo to RadioDjKev
Porsche 944 For Sale

I have a clean 944 For Sale. Pic's at my website.

Asking $5,000.

2005 Husqvarna TC250

1999 Porsche 986 Boxster 5 speed manual 90k. (as of April 2008)
Old 12-27-2006, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I have a 944 for sale as well, $2500 OBO.

Truly though, don't buy a 944 as your first car. Get a VW and drive like a grandma.

(Or if you're me, don't buy a 944).

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 12-27-2006, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RadioDjKev Send a message via Yahoo to RadioDjKev
Sorry VW rabbit/gti owners

I would Never buy a VW gti (really a VW rabbit) if I were you.
It is nothing more than a cheap Death trap that will always be falling apart and nickel and diming you to death. A pure peice of junk.

2005 Husqvarna TC250

1999 Porsche 986 Boxster 5 speed manual 90k. (as of April 2008)
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Re: Sorry VW rabbit/gti owners

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioDjKev
I would Never buy a VW gti (really a VW rabbit) if I were you.
It is nothing more than a cheap Death trap that will always be falling apart and nickel and diming you to death. A pure peice of junk.
so bmw it is

Old 12-27-2006, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: