Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Six years in storage - got a question

I just bought a 1989 944 that has been stored for 6 years. It's only got 37k on it and is in pretty good condition.

It's going into the shop next Thursday to get a new timing belt & balance shaft belt and waterpump - I'm not going to turn the engine until after that is done.

I'm going to take care of some things this weekend - change all belts, hoses, & fluids.

My question: I talked with the shop that's going to do the timing belt and let them know what I'm doing in advance and the shop guy told me to squirt some Dextron ATF in the spark plug holes. He said it's better than oil for loosening up any stuck rings.

So, I was wondering - about how much oil would I squirt into each cylinder? I was thinking about a tablespoon for each cyl but since I've never done this before, I thought I might get some tips from the guys who know.

Any advice would be great.....................Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 01-12-2007, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Greasy Member

A tablespoon is good, I usually use 1/4 of an oz and squirt it in through a flexable tube. With the tube, you can "aim" the oil at the top of the cyl. so the oil runs down the sides of the cyl wall along the rings.

The main thing to remember is to not put ALOT in each cyl!! I have seen an engine "bind-up" because too much oil was put in. An air-fuel mixture is compressable, oil is not!

-Nick
-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Nick - good advice
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Was the gas tank drained before the car was stored? I bought an 83 944 that sat for 9-yrs and the gas in the tank had turned to shellac. If there is gas, I would drain the tank and put in fresh. I actually had to remove my tank and have it cleaned.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would not do the hoses, etc, until after the belts are done. You need to run the car to properly bleed the cooling system.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: