Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

colors

was alpine white a rare or limited color for 944's?
matt
Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pretty sure it wasn't. It is listed as a standard color every year from 82-91.

Just not a popular one I guess.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Quote:
Originally posted by Schumi
Pretty sure it wasn't. It is listed as a standard color every year from 82-91.

Just not a popular one I guess.
I don't see why - the cars look great in Alpine White

Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree they look nice- CJ yours was the first white one I think I ever saw.

I just never see white. In person I have only seen two, ever.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mine was Alpine White I'm fairly sure. The PO had it repainted to be a "real" or full white, and I prefer the real white on a 944. But even now it is not as bright white as some other vehicles I've parked next too.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes I prefer the alpine white color more than that of other white.

CJ the more I look at your old car the more I want! I guess you don't miss her *too* much...
Old 01-14-2007, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
My 84 still has the original paint in Alpine White, and I think it looks great. I don't think the color is that rare, but you are right, you don't see that many of them on the road. This is the first white car I have ever owned, and now I know why a lot of people love white....even when it is dirty, it still looks pretty good and it is definitely a good color to have when summer comes around in Florida.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
I guess I have a penchant for rare colors.

I do miss the old car. It was quite a bit rougher around the edges than the 951; being an early model, it didn't feel anywhere near as modern as the 951. It was quite light (I had done somewhat extensive weight reduction), the suspension was quite stiff (autoX springs in front, KONIs in rear, 27mm/18mm sways), and had a nice, throaty sound (thanks partially to the advanced timing given by the Wilks chip) - so the car was peppy and handled really well. You could throw it into corners and it never really got too unsettled, except in the wet.

The 951 feels significantly heavier, with a little more body roll, but it still feels really neutral and corners rather well. Considering its heavier weight and stock suspension, it doesn't feel quite as planted as my old 944, but is predictable enough where you can still toss it around relatively easily. At over 6/10ths, you can actually steer the rear with the throttle around turns - something that the 944 cannot do.

Basically, I do miss the 944... until I open the garage and see the 951 sitting there, poised like some kind of jungle predator. Whereas the 944 always looked like an eager puppy ready to play, the 951 just looks menacing. I do miss driving the 944, too, but that susbsides a bit after driving the 951; the 951 is simply MUCH much faster, more comfortable, faster, better for long trips, and quite a bit faster. Did I mention that it is faster?

I wish I didn't have to sell the 944; if I had garage space, I would have kept it and made it into an eventual track car.

Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 01-14-2007, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: