Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

remote power door locks

i was thinking is it was possible to hook up remote power door locks, so i dont have to use the key to unlock it with a key every time. is this possible?
Old 01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Anything is possible with $$$$. Sounds like a good project.
Neal
Old 01-19-2007, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a viper remote lock (no alarm)

Receipts from the previous owner are 100-150 bucks.

1986 944 turbo - For sale.
1987 944 N/A - For sale.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
O'Reilly has one that is 49 dollars but you would have to have power door locks because it needs the actuator to work the lock. Of course you can buy actuators also but I'm not sure what their cost is. Ebay has them starting at 20 bucks.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually

Last edited by Razorback1980; 01-19-2007 at 07:47 PM..
Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Its pretty easy to hookup, you just need to take the door panel off and install a actuator in each door. From there you just need to setup the wiring with a controller or alarm box. Some stereo places have specials for something like $100 to install power locks.

If you have a later 85.5+ car you can get all of the factory stuff and hook up the central locking. The only really annoying part of retrofitting the factory setup is getting the extra wire harness through the door. But all of the holes are already in the door for the actuators. The parts list you will need for one door is..

-lock actuator
-entire door latch mechanism
-wire harness
-central locking switch

The door latch mechanism is slightly different with a extra provision for the actuator. This part is a direct swap however and you can use your old door handles. All the wiring is already under the dash, you just need to get the other ends of the harnesses.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 01-19-2007, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
patrat

I offer one piece of advice, having done the conversion. Make sure that the lock actuators you buy have the same throw as the factory locks. I bought a universal power lock kit that has worked after much tinkering, but the solenoids want to travel twice as far as they are able when tied into the factory parts.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

add to that list from Techno late model door latches as they have a ball fitting for the factory actuators to attach

83 NA Gaurds Red ( Home at last)
Holden/Opel Vectra 2002
Old 01-20-2007, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Coming up on your left...

Send a message via AIM to Aufgeladen944
I had actuators installed when I had my alarm put in. Wasn't that hard; avoid places like Best Buy or Circuit City, as they tend to not spend the time/care that you want on your car.

Usually, small well-established car audio/security shops will do the best work, although they will charge a little more. You pay for expertise, though.

Siena College '08
Manager, Mavis Discount Tire
Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

as you're walking up to the car, if you have a girlfriend or small child handy, give them your key and tell them to run and open your door...

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 01-21-2007, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Techno Duck
Its pretty easy to hookup, you just need to take the door panel off and install a actuator in each door. From there you just need to setup the wiring with a controller or alarm box. Some stereo places have specials for something like $100 to install power locks.

If you have a later 85.5+ car you can get all of the factory stuff and hook up the central locking. The only really annoying part of retrofitting the factory setup is getting the extra wire harness through the door. But all of the holes are already in the door for the actuators. The parts list you will need for one door is..

-lock actuator
-entire door latch mechanism
-wire harness
-central locking switch

The door latch mechanism is slightly different with a extra provision for the actuator. This part is a direct swap however and you can use your old door handles. All the wiring is already under the dash, you just need to get the other ends of the harnesses.

on the type 2 central lock system , i have a button on the center console to lock or unlock

wouldn't it be easier to simply put the remote-relay on those wires?? or am i missing something here?
Old 01-21-2007, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I know I'm reviving an old post. However I am curious if anyone has done this mod?

I have an 89 with the central locking system and am looking for information on how to add remote door locks.

Any info (or pics) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: