Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
snow tires?

What are you four season 944 drivers using for snow tires? I find myself with a blowed up Corrado in the garage so the girlie needs something to drive. I just had a rather, um, entertaining drive back from Tyson's Corner in the snow, I don't think I want her driving the 944 with the current AVS ES100s on it. I have zippy experience with modern, dedicated snow tires - have always had a beater VW to drive with all seasons on it. Now I don't. I've heard Nokians are good, anything else I should be looking at?

I think the last time I bought real snow tires they looked like something you'd see on an army Jeep LOL...

nate

PS - I also need two late offset 15x7 phonies, I posted on the FS forum but I guess it doesn't hurt to throw in a plug here as well.

PPS - people in Northern Virginia can't drive. That is all. Half an inch of snow and everything comes to a screeching (well, sliding) halt!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Will work for parts

Send a message via AIM to 944 boy
Nokians are great. I have Cooper Weathermaster st2's and they do great for how cheap they are. With a good alignment the 944 is wonderful and stable in the snow. I have never gotten stuck. It is definatly worth getting a dedicated set of snows on cheep set of phones.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

well I hope I don't regret this... the Tire Rack had 195/65HR15 Dunlop Winter Sport M3s on sale for $252 a set, so I went ahead and pushed the button, I don't think I will find a better deal than that. They are supposedly the top rated snow tire they sell. I guess I will just have to have 2 of them mounted on some "good" wheels for now because she can't drive my company car and the only other vehicle between us besides her busted and disassembled Corrado is my '55 Studebaker with an Avanti motor and 4-speed... has big fatty 245s on the rear, I don't think that would be a good snow beater...

nate

PS - yes I know that the stock tire size is 215/60 but remember in snow fatter is NOT better... yes I checked the owner's manual and that is a recommended snow tire size.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Coming up on your left...

Send a message via AIM to Aufgeladen944
I dunno about you, but I'd rather just keep the Porsche away in the snow. I went out and bought a 95 Subaru off of my friend's dad for $500. Yeah, it's very rusty and has a lot of miles (215k) but it's been pretty solid for the last 6 months I've owned it. Plus, it gets much better mileage than the Porsche on regular fuel. It's also handy as hell being able to fit so much stuff in the back. I've hardly had to do anything with it as far as maintenance goes: front brakes, plugs/wires etc. Very easy to live with. AWD + new set of good tires = unstoppable tank in the snow.

Even though it might be a little more money up front, it's worth it for me to have a Subie for snow duty. That being said, Dunlops are very good tires. The Graspic DS-2 are snow shoes for cars. Dunno much about "sport snow" tires, but it seems kind of like an oxymoron to me.

Siena College '08
Manager, Mavis Discount Tire
Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I hear ya about just parking it... that was the PLAN. the PLAN fell apart when the Corrado's supercharger decided to do a very good impression of the Exxon Valdez, and that and all the "while you're in theres" and previous mechanics screw ups mean that it'll be off the road for a good couple weeks' worth of evenings. If I didn't have my own garage I'd just send it to the scrapper. It still may go if it won't pass a compression test, after I get all the goo cleaned up. Between the girlie and I, we have my company car (which she isn't allowed to drive) her Corrado, my 944, and my '55 Studebaker. The 944 is really the only viable option for her to drive at this point

nate
Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

944 snow-mobile

I live in Aurora, Colorado which is in the metro area of Denver. If you have CNN you have seen how much snow we have gotten since christmas (another 6-7" here last night!!)
I have driven this car most of the time since then. I did not attemp the first blizzard here, like 3 1/2' with hugh drifts.
Then it was down for a few days cause the Int. shift lever sheared off. (Long BS story behind that from when I bought the car).
I have a '84 944 N/A and run Yokohama IceGuard's. They are 225/45R 17 up front and 245/40R 17 out back. Its actually a blast to drive when the snow is packed down. I look foward to driving it. It responds amazingly well and goes where I tell it. Having a worn clutch is rough on top of this cause you gotta feather the clutch and gas so you don't light the the tires up and have it go all over.

I swear by these yoko's and the Bridgestone Blizak's as well.
Good luck!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I am sure the dunlops will be fine, any winter tire is usually better than an all season. I put walmart brand winter tires on my BMW e30 and they seemed just as good as the Khumos on my other car.

Once you go to winter tires you wont want to go back.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Got a call from Roger at Tire Rack today, apparently their puter thinks that the stock wheel size for a '44 is 16"? couldn't believe that a 195/65 was really OK. Had to dig out the owner's manual and read the recommended tire sizes and GAWRs to him before he'd send the tires out. OTher than a day's delay in shipping no problems tho... actually set up install with local installer so I'm having them direct shipped there instead of my house, less PITA factor that way.

nate
Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Let us know how you like the Dunlops, I am running Blizzaks right now and when they die out I may consider going with a different rubber (the outer half of the Blizzaks tread is softer and wear faster than the inner half, which provides excellent traction while it lasts). Unfortunately the 944 is my only option for snowy days also, but I actually love driving it in the snow. People definitely give you crazy looks though when you go passing them by
Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Has anyone tried the WinterForce tires at Tire Rack? They are cheap in the size i need, i think about $59 each.. a total set is under $250. Was going to put them on a set of 928 7-slots i have, 215/60/16. My 944 is also my daily and have no other choice than to drive it when i have to. I miss the days when i could use my sisters '00 Cherokee Sport. 4.0L I6..lots of low end torque. Was fun to spin all four tires pulling away from a red light.

If theres any accumulation i am screwed anyway.. my front valance is a little less than 4 inches off the ground.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Hey Tool, I don't live too far south of you, and I agree, people around here can't drive worth a crap when the wether is good. Todays ice (we don't get snow here, only ice) was a blast in my 44. I have some all season Uniroyal thingies (on the car when I bought it) and they did great. I had to find an empty parking lot this morning (5:30) to get them to realy let go of the pavement. I should also mention I was late to work because I was having too much fun. My boss is cool about tardyness when the roads suck.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Coming up on your left...

Send a message via AIM to Aufgeladen944
The Winterforce aren't bad, but there are better choices. The Graspic DS-2 are much better, and not a lot more money. The best tires are Viking SnowTechs, though, because they are *almost* at the top of the ratings, but are seriously cheap. They were 40/each sized 195/60/15. Tiresavings.com has them available, but I dunno what size we would need for 944s.

Go get a winter beater though!

Siena College '08
Manager, Mavis Discount Tire
Old 01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: