Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

how to fix minor tear in leather

hey guys, it was bound to happen... 2 years with the car and i've finally got about a 1cm tear in the driver's seat...

not wanting it to spread, what is my best option for a repair?

it's on the back left bolster (if you call it that) of the driver's seat..

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Buy this product..problem solved!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-GT3-997-2007-Porsche-GT3-290mi-NAV-CompositeBrake-ChronoPkg_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10156QQhashZi tem170079282725QQihZ007QQitemZ170079282725QQrdZ1

ok, if you don't like that option...then

Is the tear in the seam? If so, you can restitch it...if you don't know how, then talk to your sister or mom. If it's not in a seam, you can use a leather or vinyl repair kit (depending on whether the ripped part is vinyl or leather). Look on ebay or search google. It's still noticeable after a repair but not real obvious...definitely less noticeable than a rip.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 02-15-2007, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

i liked the first option a lot more than the second!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
vinal reapir kit works good. whats a saratoga sunroof?
85.5 944 red- Pinta (past)
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 02-15-2007, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

glass roof. i adapted it because it was made for power window and my 1983 is completely manual in every respect.
i would think a bit of vinyl repair might hold the tear but the pressure of sitting on it will eventually widen the tear and i think that ultimately it will need replacement unless it is on a seam. a seam can be easily stitched and would be almost permanent.
my son sctrached my new vinyl but even though it is superficial, i hate the thought the it is "no longer new."
Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
Glass roof, thats awesome, never seen one like that.
This just came across my head. When you reapir it, try to lay a pen, stick, or something, on the tear. And put the vinal repair stuff on, and if you can pull the pen out. Maybbe wrap the pen in some thing so you can pull the pen out. It should give the tear and repair kit some leeway when you sit down, and hopefully wont tear again, but thats how i see it in my head. Ive never personally used the kit, so dont know if it will work, but think about it, look at it. Just trying to help some people out.
85.5 944 red- Pinta (past)
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

forgot i started this thread.. LOL

thanks for the options, guys... tom - care to float me a little cash? looking into your option #1 there. =P

ok.. me being a total n00b, i cant really tell if it's vinyl or leather... I mean, I think it's leather but I just dont know for sure... if it helps any, there is a white 'threaded' layer attached to the back of the material.. kind of like cheesecloth.. possibly a strength member... which would lead me to believe it'd be vinyl... i just dont know.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EMBPilot Send a message via Yahoo to EMBPilot
Kyle,
once my seats get worse, (currently they only have the typical once tare at the seam in the front corner)
but once they get worse im going to just get a reupholstery kit. They are just under 300 beans, you can find them on ebay. I figure i can try the job myself, if i get in over my head you can bring them to a auto/boating upholstery shop have them finish the job for about 3 bills. But it looks pretty simple, just a bunch of hog ties and hooks. i should do the dash first though.

i asked a leather shop that i took the car to about the one inch tare. He said they wont touch it. because once they started the repair the leather, due to its age, will start to disintegrate and turn into a mess. he did say he could redo the whole seat for 1200 bucks!

I have a crack developing in my leather seat in the explorer too that im trying to figure out how to head off. i just hope its easier to fix than the O2 sensor, hopefully i wont have to remove the center console to fix it

but really, i was planning on just sticking a patch over it. there are tons of kits on ebay, and i have no idea which one is best. they range from 5-40 bucks???
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Pretty sure you have vinyl. If its a seam pulling loose and you can put super glue on the thread to keep it from coming loose more. I don't think you can glue the seam shut but you should be able to lock the thread with it so it doesn't get worse. And the patch kits are really easy to use...I used one once back when I was in college and couldn't afford anything new... it doesn't look perfect but it's better than a hole.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Smell it. Or you can feel the difference. If your cover is kinda hard and shiny it is vinyl, if it is soft and smooth leather.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: