Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

help please...car acting weird when it rains

i just bought my 944 yesterday and as i was driving the car back from ohio(i live in chicago), it started to rain, and then the rpms just started dropping and if i gave the car gas it wouldnt respond, so i pulled over and me and my friend took a look at it

keep in mind this car only has 40k miles on it and it is very clean and was well taken care of

there was some water by the distributor, my friend thinks some moisture possibly got in by the wires and distributor cap and was messin things up

it stopped doin it and i drove for about 5 minutes and then it did it again, but this time the car wouldnt start, we waited like 5 minutes and it started again and didnt have a problem after that because we were out of the rain, also it was running fine later that night and also was fine today(no rain) and before we got to the rain there was no problems

does anybody know if this is a common problem???

do you guys think replacing the wires or distributor cap would help?

thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would replace the rotor, cap and wires. It's quite possible that on a 40k mile car (the newest of which would be 15 yrs old or more right now) that the insulation is dryrotted and letting moisture in.
[RETIRED]1972 914/6 190k miles
[RETIRED]1997 951 180k miles
Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Check to see if you have any moisture by the DME as well......
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-25-2007, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I absolutely had a problem like this everytime it rained with my 911. It went away when I replaced the wires which were very old and had cracks in them - car ran fine when dry. I am almost sure your problem is electrical.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think also that you need to change the distributor cap, the rotor and the wires. I had trouble with my ignition all the time when the temperature was rainy.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Definitely, definitely, definitely check the DME for water. You do NOT want moisture in there. What year car is it? The early cars had the DME under the driver's dash, the later cars and Turbos had the DME in the pass. side footwell.

Replace the cap, rotor, and dist., as well, but this should be done whenever you buy an old sports car anyhow (unless a full tune-up was documented recently).
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-25-2007, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

its a 89 944 N/A

thanks for all the advice guys

ill probly end up replacing the wires/distributor soon, actually ill have my friends do it cuz their mechanics and i dont really know **** and id probly make things worse lol

what brands do you guys recommend for these parts?

thanks

Last edited by whitesox23; 03-25-2007 at 01:25 PM..
Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Quote:
Originally posted by whitesox23

ill probly end up replacing the wires/distributor soon, actually ill have my friends do it cuz their mechanics and i dont really know **** and id probly make things worse lol

I have a couple pointers here. First off, you should be able to do this kind of thing yourself; it is routine maintenance, very easy, and you'd be throwing money away if you paid a mechanic. If you have your friends do it, I recommend making your friend give you a "lesson". These kinds of maintenance issues are much easier than most people think.

Pick up the Haynes manual, or better yet, check out clarksgarage.com.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Unless you have a very large bank account, you will become quite the mechanic in a year or so.

Ask me how I know.

1986 944 turbo - For sale.
1987 944 N/A - For sale.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

hi my son had the exact same problem, if u find no problems in the areas mentioned try: Disconnect the wire from the TPS and if the car runs fine(other than high idle at rest) i would test and change the TPS this was the problem with my sons runs great now working on other problems.
scott
Old 03-25-2007, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

thanks for the info, im planning on picking up a haynes manual tomorrow and ill check out clarksgarage
Old 03-25-2007, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Check for a very loose spark plug.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

we checked the plugs and they were fine
Old 03-25-2007, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
There is supposed to be a plastic baffel between the dist cap and the housing as well as a gasket. This is to keep the water out of the dist cap that the belts kick up.

Replace with stock items. You can just replace the cable between the connectors on the spark plugs. www.kingsborne.com
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: