Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Keyless Entry

I have a 86' 944 Turbo with electric locks. The power locks will only lock if the key isn't in the ignition though. So i was wondering if they have a keyless entry unit which will allow me to lock and unlock.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2007, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

There is no keyless entry functionality from the factory for the 944 series.

There are some aftermarket systems that might be available, but I don't know what the quality is on those.

The lock button on the center console should work as follows:

With the car off: Button will lock the doors, note that the driver's door will NOT lock if it is open, this is by design to prevent a person from locking his or her keys in the car. Button will NOT unlock the doors. Again, this is by design, in this case to prevent someone from sticking something through the sunroof and un-locking the doors.

With the car running: Button will both lock and un-lock the doors. Again, the driver's door will NOT lock unless the door is shut.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 05-05-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Coming up on your left...

Send a message via AIM to Aufgeladen944
I got a two-way alarm with a 1.5 mile range for 800 dollars installed. That included labor and putting in electric door actuators (essentially making them power locks). I hate using keys, plus my key locks never worked great to begin with.

They're pretty awful to work on, so I'd let somebody else do the work. Avoid Best Buy and places like that if you value your car. The smaller, custom audio shops always do better work.

Good luck.

Siena College '08
Manager, Mavis Discount Tire
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just picked up a CRIMESTOPPER EZ-34 on eBay for 50 bux new.

keyless entry to existing central locking system + remote start

Now I need to get off my butt & install it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRIMESTOPPER-EZ-34-DP-Remote-Starter-Entry-EZ34-NEW_W0QQitemZ180112578515QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48611Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Early '85 944
Old 05-05-2007, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ok... let me rephrase the question. Which aftermarket alarms will allow me to unlock/lock the doors?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well...any will work, really. Get a decent one, though.

Siena College '08
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I had an Audiovix Prestige Alarm installed for $350. This included the optional Keyless entry.

I beleive for the keyless entry, they installed a second lock actuator in the driver door. This follows the principle that when you pull or push the driver door lock button, it controls both doors. I'm not positive that they had to go this route but the shop told me that they could not hook up to the central lock button because it operated one-way (i.e., lock only) when the key is off. However, they didn't charge me for the seperate lock actuator and I didn't notice until I got home.

I don't know if you can get keyless entry without the alarm but I would think you would want the alarm feature.

Most of the alarm systems that aI looked at had optional keyless entry but it was with extra costs. Some also have remote start but I didn't feel this was necessary and I have heard of people starting the car remotely (while the car was in gear) and smashing their garage door - not for me.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 05-06-2007 at 04:33 PM..
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I had an Audiovix Prestige Alarm installed for $350. This included the optional Keyless entry.

I believe for the keyless entry, they installed a second lock actuator in the driver door. This follows the principle that when you pull or push the driver door lock button, it controls both doors.

I don't know if you can get keyless entry without the alarm but I would think you would want the alarm feature.

Most of the alarm systems that I looked at had optional keyless entry but it was with extra costs. Some also have remote start but I didn't feel this was necessary and I have heard of people starting the car remotely (while the car was in gear) and smashing their garage door - not for me.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ok i see, i was looking around at alarms, and i think somebody told me i'd need some extra stuff to install a keyless entry into a 944 since the lock button on the dash can't unlock without the key in the ignition. But you're sure pretty much any keyless entry should be able to lock and unlock without too much more work?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you get keyless entry, why would it matter if the central lock button works?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to lock the doors while I'm in the car. Besides, like Tidybuoy said, an audio place can hook up the lock itself to lock both doors (instead of the button). Most of them can be programmed to lock the doors automatically once the car begins moving and unlock when it shuts off. I hate automatic locks, though.

I hate using keys in the car. Such a major pain.

Siena College '08
Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: