Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Piston Rings replacement

Hey guys, i am going to do a rebuild on a '87 924S engine, to Replace my tired out '83 944 engine.
I am thinking about picking up complete rebuild kit either from Lindsay or Zims.
I have not seen the insides of the engine and have not even picked it up yet, but while i am doing a rebuild should I replace piston rings? I've heard different opinions on that one, some say go ahead, some say I shouldn't as I might lose some compression.
Can anyone give me an educated advice?

thanks,
'05 Jeep Liberty
'98 Acura Integra
Old 05-11-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

If you have the engine out and your rebuilding it, it doesn't make sense NOT to change the rings since the donor engine probably has some miles on it. Make sure the piston grooves are clean, end gaps are within the correct tolerance (adjust as necessary) and they are "clocked" correctly when installed.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Dan, most of the debate is around the honing of the cylinders not the replacement of the rings. By all means replace the rings as they are a wearing item but DO NOT hone the bore as per a traditional cast iron bore. Clean the bore with detergent and a pressure washer if necassary but do not go near it with a normal stone type hone.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As an alternative supplier - I've been very happy with EBS Racing (www.ebsracing.com) for stuff like that, especially their re-ring kits, and they know their P-cars, especially front-Porches, and excellent customer service.

Agreed with all of the above - do the rings, don't touch the bores, and be sure to at bare minimum replace the valve stem seals and re-lap the valves for best sealing. We just recently refreshed the engine on a race 924S here, and it was losing nearly 20% on a leakdown test on nearly all 4 due to valves not sealing... this after something like 160kmi IIRC.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

cool sounds good, thanks.
I think i am going to go with Zims as he provides the whole rebuild kit, top and bottom for 667

Thanks again
'05 Jeep Liberty
'98 Acura Integra
Old 05-12-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
Should have replaced mine when I did the engine. Take the head in to any machine shop to have it checked. Valve stem seals are easy if you want to do them yourself.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 05-14-2007, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: