Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave101
944 board

I am also seriously thinking about putting up another board with a bit more liberal rules and of course free access. Complete with a racing section. If enough people are interested it may be worth it to do. It would be cool to have an "experts" section as well with categories like body work, electrical, engine, picture archive and so on. All I know is the info found here is well worth any efforts it would take to keep it simple and informative. We could even come up with our own domain name. BTW, this is in no way saying that this board isn't good. I am just always looking to improve a good thing.

1984 944 N/A Black (Daily Driver.)
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bholmes
Pegan! Blasphemy! Crucify him!

No really, sounds fun. I agree however that this board is great though for trouble shooting and the like. Some people are max performance minded, some are driving pleasure minded, it's all a difference in ideals. It's hard sometimes to remeber your own ideals are not the final word and you're the only one that has to subscribe to your ideals. But I like darn near anything with wheels so I'm always up for more discussion!

No offense to anyone is intended by this, just stating my ideal! haha!

Cheers

'86 944 NA
'94 Jeep Cherokee 3" and 31's
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
'98 Dodge Neon (the wife)
Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For example. Socal has found some parts that are not labed as "Porsche" but are in fact the same part or a close proximity thereof as has a few other users such as the caliper pin at NAPA at substantial savings in costs. So I would even like to add an area that pertained to just those kind of parts. Of course if this did go through and everyone liked the idea, I would need a few volunteers to help design it of course. At the moment I am just "fishing" to see what we get. This is for ALL of us.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'd be for it

I do love this board, but would like a non purist performance section. As I am generally not in line with most peoples thinking.

Maybe check with the 924.org guys to see if they would mind a section for the 944 folks to discuss. There are a few na supercharged cars over there and they seem fine with doing things a "little different"

Just my 2 hopefully I don't get booted
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah I see what both of you are sayin. Wonder if pelican would hoast it as a side shoot from the 924/944/968 board?

'86 944 NA
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This would interest me. I'm coming from more of a 'tinkerers' background and less purist this being my first Porsche after years of VWs and Audis. This board has been invaluable, I can't tell you how many questions I've been able to answer just by searching or browsing, but another resource coming from a different perspective would be cool!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Whatever we did would not nessasarly affect this board either. We would just be adding another source of information.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
I am new to this board. I joined it because I'm overhaulin my 944. I have found allot of information and parts using this board. All of you are great.

I love the story telling.
I like to share/receive information.
I like the pics of your cars.
I didn't realize that allot of you race your cars because I have never raced mine.
Allot of you have parts cars; you have been a wonderful resource for putting mine back together.
Creating a hybrid fascinates me but I not ready for that yet.

This board fulfills my needs. I don't look beyond this board for information. For me, personally, I don't believe I would interested in joining another board.

I do respect the need for change and continual improvement. I would rather look to improve this board than creating a parallel of supplemental one.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I wonder if they wil let us ad sections here? Anyone know?

Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
Adding sections to a web board like this takes about 10 minutes. That includes the time for them to log into a FTP. This is prob an after market site and then it would be even faster for them to add a section.

It's nice to read the new posts once you have been here a while. But it's not so easy to look for an old thread on a topic that was beat to death already.

Maybe if they had sections within this section... Engine, Suspension, Electrical.... That might help find answers quicker for people without starting a new post.

New ideas are always good
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-24-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
John, I think that's a very good idea, categories and sub catagories would be nice. For example, 944 - 944 engine - 944 engine cooling That would be sweet, but it may be harder to keep up with posts if you had to check all the sub catagories. But then again I have no clue how to do anything electronic so i could be wrong LOL.

'86 944 NA
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
Old 05-24-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

There are pros and cons to everything. This board seems to have the same handful of people on here all the time from what I see. As it grows with more users it might be better to have sub catagories. If it got 30 new posts a day then it would almost be needed. But something like the SC project Sid (Blown944) is working on would be good in another section to keep tabs and updates on.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-24-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

+1 on subcategorizing !!!
'05 Jeep Liberty
'98 Acura Integra
Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well Dave, it looks like there is some interest in your idea. Let me know what you come up with. Setting up a message board like this is easy, getting people to go there is a little more difficult.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-24-2007, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I dont think pelican would support a street racing section branched off their site. but you can try.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 05-24-2007, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldorado
I dont think pelican would support a street racing section branched off their site. but you can try.
I don't think that was mentioned and most likely would not be of great interest to anyone.

If your referring to me and my bothers fooling around I'm sure everyone has had their own "spirited runs" as people like to call them it is not a regular happening in my life.

PM me if you have direct problem with me!! Don't skirt the issue.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I don't think street racing was really an idea, more so mods and things like that. Who doesn't beat on their car when they are out driving it? I wouldn't call it street racing though. I love getting to 55MPH as fast as I can with a cop next to me at the light eyeballing me. Street racing is more like Fast and Ferious stuff. I don't think anyone here is really involved in that too much, at least they are not posting it.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-25-2007, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

My apologies, I read this:

"I am also seriously thinking about putting up another board with a bit more liberal rules and of course free access. Complete with a racing section. "

and misunderstood.

And Sid, I wasn't directing my comment at you, it was an attempt to add something to the conversation. In the end, it was a misunderstanding... but seriously now, not everything is about you.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 05-25-2007, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: