Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
Suspension/steering problems

Nothing is binding that I can see. The passgenger front side suspension does not move at all when you put weight on it. Almost like it is bottomed out. If I lift up the car will come up on that side and stay right where it was left. Then I can push it back down to bottom.

I just had the struts apart and had new strut assmebiles from here. I ordered the wrong ones. That insert seemed decent though when I put them back together. I also replaced the strut bearings with a monoball bearings from Paragon. New track performance ball joints from Rennbay. When the car is in the air it steers great, on the ground it doesn't want to move. In reverse it steer great too. It also seems to steer just fine when it comes off the jack stands.

The inserts are different on both sides of the car. The steering is tough on the ground and driving. I cannot see anything binding. The control arms were off the car and looked good. The PS pump is new. The rack is recent. I just flushed out the pump with new Dextron III.

This tire also has excessive inside trwad wear. I want to get an alignment done, as I had the struts and the control arms out of the car, but I would like to get this steering issue solved so I have have to do another alignment. This problem persisted exactly the same before all the new parts. Could this suspension be the problem with the steering? How do I fix this "bottomed out" issue? Any thoughts or fixes?

Thanks!

'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

UPDATE:

I just took the sway bar off. For some reason my car has the 30mm bar. I was reading on Clark's about understeer and oversteer. Do you think this tough steering could be an understeer issue??? Could it get to be this extreem?

The front passenger side now will "bounce" with me pushing on it. It returns now rather then being "suck at bottom." So I am guessing there may be a problem with the sway bar. Bent, too big, I have no idea about sway bars, understeer or oversteer. The sway bar looks to be in decent shape. Nothing obvious is wrong with it. I am also thinking that the sway bar contributed to the binding or locking of the front passenger suspension as it will now at least move.

Steering is still tough driving, but lossens up a lot when I get on it a little in my driveway and get the front end moving up and down.

I also get a little clunking sound from that front side going over bumps. When it was just at the dealer they said the bearings and everything else in the front end was good. I do get some up and down and side to side play in both sides (bearings?). No squeeking at all when turning. But it is not much at all. I contributed the minor clunking sound to the suspension hitting bottom. It is very quiet. One of those noieses that ONLY the owner and driver of the car can hear, but it IS there.

Any more ideas or thoughts?
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I will keep guessing here but so far have not had a hit. If the tires are not hitting anything and the steering is good, then about all that is left is the ball joint or the strut mounting plate.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ball joints are new, Track Performance set from Rennbay. They went together well and look good. No binding on the control arm, that I can see. The boot is good, but I cannot see through the boot to the ball joint pin and control arm. I do remeber that the pin is recessed some in the housing of the control arm. Is it possible that if the suspension bottms out that the ball joint is binding?

I think if I could just keep that side a half inch higher things would be good. That "bounce" I can get coming into the driveway with some gas gets the front end moving and loosens up the steering to where it should be.

The strut mounting plate is the new monoball from Paragon. I don't think that is the issue. It moved well and the nut seems to have enough clearence around the top of the plate. There was no imporvement or impairment with the monoballs. The old bearings look good.

What are your thoughs about the sway bar?

Any thoughts of physically lowering the strut mount with a spacer between the strut mount and the strut tower thus adding the extra height (1/4" to 1/2")? This is not a correct fix and I would not keep the setup in the car. I would just like to test the fact of giving that ball joint a little more room to move. I think that might help rule out the ball joint binding. What do you think???
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just looked at the PET again... I am missing a spacer sleeve and the sealing ring. Looks like the PO did not pay attention to any detail what so ever! If this PET is to scale then it looks like that spacer might just be 1/2" long, maybe longer. That would put some more tension on the spring and help hold it in the air some more. I should have noticed these missing when I was changing the struts over. I think I over looked it because the struts were the wrong model year! I just took them apart and put them back together the way they came apart. The inserts are good, so I put them back on the car. The rubber stops are also shot. I will repace them too.

Porsche dealer parts is closed. I'll have to wait to order them. The spacer sleeve is NLA here. I hate waiting for parts!!!

'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-26-2007, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: