Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bholmes
Vacuum Leak and J-boot

Today when I was working on my cold air induction kit I came accross a nice vacuum leak. It's the one I've been looking for for quite some time. So I started to remove the crusty old J-Boot from the throttle body so I could get in to the hose that need replaced. Gentyl I loosened the clamp around the throttle body and AFM. I carefully removed the first hose from the J-boot, then the second...OHHH MY GOSH IT BROKE! My J-boot went into 5 peices. Luckly I just happened to NOT have a J-boot laying around. So I had to use an old jeep cherokee J-boot and put two holes and fittings on it for the vacuum hoses. It took some rigging and some silicon to make sure I had a good seal, but it is on, it runs good and it works! So if you ever need a J-Boot in a pinch, try jeep cherokees and you'll have to put two fittings in it. And yes, I did get the other vacuum leak fixe and it runs better and registers a proper vacuum reading.

'86 944 NA
'94 Jeep Cherokee 3" and 31's
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
'98 Dodge Neon (the wife)
Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

how do you measure vacuum?

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
With my thumb, I place it over a vacuum port and feel how hard it sucks on my hand....where did vader go any ways? they make a gauge for it. you hook the gauge up to a vacuum port and it gives a reading.

'86 944 NA
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
Old 05-26-2007, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

that's what i figured, but I was thinking more along the lines of which hose do you attach it to (or if it even mattered).. and what kind of pressures you're dealing with...

I got a pressure/vacuum bleeder hand pump and it goes up to a pretty high psi, wonder if i can use that.. dont see why not..

Old 05-26-2007, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
PSI won't work because it's a pressure, vacuum is a negative pressure, it's often times in units known as mm hg or in hg (Hg is mercury's chemical symbol). If I'm not mistaken you can take vacuum readings at any vacuum port. If I am mistaken I may need to recheck my vacuum. As for how much vacuum you should pull, I can't remeber off the top of my head. In the past week I had a thread about it, I'll try to look it up. I have it wrote down in the car too.

'86 944 NA
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a pic of the jeep J-Boot for Kyle since he likes them

You can't really see the fittings good in the picture, but if you're familiar with the J-boot you know where they are.

'86 944 NA
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

yea, you're right about the vacuum units... my pump measures that too..

Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Vacuum at idle is the thread that should tell how many inches of Hg you shoudl be pulling.

'86 944 NA
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: