Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

86' keeps blowing oil filter off

Got an 86' that keeps wanting to blow the engine oil filter off. Oil preasure builds very quickly, and you can actually see the filter start to grow before the base o-ring gives-out. Preasure relief valve seems ok. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There is a diagram of the oil system at Clark's Garage. www.clarks-garage.com The oil pressure relief valve is either bad or is binding. There is an alignment tool that must be used to install the oil cooler housing so that the relief valve installs correctly without binding.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Before you start replacing parts, do a leakdown test on the car.

Also check your oil dipstick - is it wanting to pop out of the tube?

If all of the above check out fine, then replace your OPRV.

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This all happened as a result of having to replace the housing. No problems before. Without the special tool, is it possible to use another pressure relief component to provide the necessary alignment, or is the tool mandatory?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The tool fits much tighter than the OPRV. I would say it is mandatory, but I guess you could try using an old OPRV. You might get lucky.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

I used to hate buying "special tools", but considering the amount of work it is to get to the point of aligning the oil cooler and the obvious trouble it prevents, the $48 "special tool" is cheap. Maybe you can rent it out later to recoup some of the capital expense. Maybe you could find it cheaper. I hate doing things twice. I now have a tool chest drawer dedicated to "special tools and test equipment". Sorry, I don't have the alignment tool to send you - PO had the dealer replace the seals.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replys. I ordered the tool.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: