Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trouble Shooting the Power Windows

I've searched the site for ideas on how determine what is wrong with our power windows on the 83. The windows will not roll up or down. I pulled the switches tonight and cleaned the contacts w/in the switch (I'll install them tomorrow). I have also checked the fuse and it's good, so what else can I do to trouble shoot the problem? Can I pul the relay and use a jumper wire? If so, which wires to I jump?

I don't know if this is related, but none of my gauges work (no tach, speedo, mpg gauge, or fuel gauge) except for my temperature gauge. I doubt it does, but I did want to mention it.

Any other suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
65 CSX 427 Roadster

Last edited by gt350mike; 05-31-2007 at 08:45 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Re: Trouble Shooting the Power Windows

I had a very similar problem a while back. I checked absolutely everything (cleaned / checked all three switches and the relay) and nothing worked.

I even took off the door panel to access the window motor to check the wiring connections. I also checked for possible chaffing as it passes through the door and door jamb. All good.

In desperation and, whilst operating the switch, I gave the motor casing a few sharp taps with a small wooden mallet. Worked instantly! I guess it had either 'set' after not using the window for a few weeks or something had lodged in the gear train somewhere (solder perhaps?). Anyhow it's been reliable for two months going on three now.

Worth trying if you're running out of ideas.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 06-01-2007 at 10:02 AM..
Old 06-01-2007, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Check for power at the back of the switches with the key on. If no power check the relay under the dash just above your right (gas) foot. Could be the relay or the socket or both.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This morning I installed the switch (with the cleaned contacts) it didn't work. I will check for power and also kick the relay around later this evening.

Thanks!!!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Maybe it's not the fuse

I found another fuse from my parts car and replaced the old fuse (see photo). The replacement fuse had a plastic shell that enclosed a red fuse (not sure of the amp rating) and I tried to work the windows, but as usual, either window didn't make a peep.

Looking at the old fuse, it didn't have the plastic shell w/the red fuse. I'm 99% sure the fuses are interchangeable so the chances of having two bad fuses are slim. Tomorrow I will try to see if I have power at the fuse and at the switch. Stay tuned!

PS - While I was working on the car, I had a fury little buddy (see photo) fly by snacking on the bugs. Apparently he's having a little trouble w/his built in Nav system because he flew into the styrofoam insulated wall inside my garage. Couldn't tell if he was still kicking but hopefully he has better luck with his Nav system that I'm having with my windows!

65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think I'm in a world of hurt........I pulled the relay and put a jumper wire on 87 and 30 (I have 12v at the jumper), then I checked to see if I had power going to the switch connector but I had zero power on all 5 sockets. The only thing I haven't done is put power directly from the battery to the window motors.

Help!!!!! I used the trouble-shooting guide from Clark's garage and I have run out of options. Can anyone suggest what needs to be done?
65 CSX 427 Roadster

Last edited by gt350mike; 06-05-2007 at 03:07 PM..
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
I had an electrical problem that nobody could help me with. I took the whole fuse box apart and found one loose wire harness and one wire that had a nick in the insulation. I taped up the wire and plugged the harness in tight. No more problems. Try to trace your wire harness from the switchs to the fuse box. It can be a long and involved project. I would try unplugging it at each connector if possible and check to see if you have a short in any length of wire. I bought new relays, had all good fuses. Tracing the wire harness was the last resort.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 06-05-2007, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm already at the last resort.........I'll start from the window and work my way back to the fuse box because the problem might be located between the door and the door post.

Thanks!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just found my problem..........the *&%@! PO changed the door out and didn't plug in the wires. What a *&!@ idiot!!!!!!!

Now I'm leaving wondering what else he "engineered"!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Nice... My PO was just as handy as yours! Almost the whole car was unplugged, plugged in backwards, or half plugged in causing things to only work have the time. I now have EVERYTHING electrical working properly and I did not have to buy a single part.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My PO is a bigger POS than your PO.......NOTHING WORKS!

Let's see, what all have I fixed since I bought the car LAST year:
- Fuel pump and injectors; DOA
- The guy gave me TWO DMEs and said "I'm sure one of them is good, but I don't know which one it is". Turns out both DMEs were DOA.
- Stereo, Forget it!
- Radiator fans; DOA - Had to replace the temperature switch. Also had to replace the wiring on the radiator fans; the PO must have used 1/2 mile of electrical tape!
- Shifter......What a $%^!@ NIGHTMARE! He half-_ssed the instal of the linkage arm that mounts on top of the transaxle.
- Door Handles - Don't go there with me.....
- Seats - I knew I would replace the seats, but what I didn't know was the bolts would have to be cut and drilled out.
- Carpet - Another known.....replaced it when we pulled the seats.
- And last but not least, the Power Windows!

Here is the list of items that are on my "Things to Fix or my wife will go postal":
- Speedo
- Tach
- Hood latch (the assembly won't catch the pin on the hood). That problem just popped up last night after I fixed the wiring on the power windows.
- Install a new stereo
- A/C.......If you are a betting man, bet against me. I'm sure it will need some attention too.
- Passenger window moves as fast as pond water; may have to grease down the rails and/or replace the motor.
- Headlight only comes up half way (some people can relate to that problem)

THANK GOD I HAD A PARTS CAR!

Sorry for the rant........I bought this car last year thinking I would have it on the road three or four months after we bought it. Although we haven't focused our time on it day and night, we're 11 months into fixing our "project" car. At least I can say that I kept another car from ending up as a parts car!

So, does my PO get the POOTY (Previous Owner Of The Year) award ???????
65 CSX 427 Roadster

Last edited by gt350mike; 06-06-2007 at 09:46 AM..
Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Close... mine was at least running I did upgrade the strero though. Good time to do it while there was none in the car. I put in a double din DVD/CD in that spot. Installers will tell you it will not fit. It will fit, just take it somewhere that doesn't need to read an instruction manual to install, or do it yourself. I had it done. I also put a bass tube with a built in amp in the back where the spare tire goes. I didn't have a spare in the car either. So I used the space with the bass tube and amp.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 06-06-2007, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Geeze Guys! These are called "hobby cars" for a reason!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well if you look at it that way, then I have a lot of "hobby" in my car!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Keeps you off the streets at night. At least in a 944!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

A little different spin on staying off the streets......I told my wife that buying a new air compressor was cheaper than buying new golf clubs. Now that I think about it, my a/c cost less than a few drivers that I've seen!
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: