Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
meister member

Garage
2 colapsed lifters during cam tower gasket replacement

As some may know my cam tower gasket leaked after 3000 miles. I have the cam tower off right now but I found 2 collapsed lifters. One of the lifters which is collapsed is one I replaced 3000 miles ago with a Porsche dealership replacement part. So now I have 2 lifters I need to replace before I reassemble the car. I am almost half tempted to buy 2 used lifters which are known to be good instead of going with new lifters. I am scared I will have the same luck with the new ones this time like I did last time. I am going to call the dealership Saturday to see what they have to say about the faulty lifter they sold me.

Does anybody have any good used lifters they want to sell?

I am not quite sure why the tower gasket failed. I do know there was a large tear in the back and was leaking REAL bad. I idled the car and oil was pouring ot from the gasket. about a teaspoon each second.

Speedy

Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I wonder whether the passages for the lifters in question hapenned to be blocked by the gasket by chance?

Maybe the gasket was a bit out of place
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
I was at the dragon last weekend.
I'll post pics as soon as I have them (from killboy).

MMmmm... a knee-draggin' good time ;P

Get back over here!

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by blown 944
I wonder whether the passages for the lifters in question hapenned to be blocked by the gasket by chance?

Maybe the gasket was a bit out of place
i will check the gasket remenents to see if they were blocking anything off.

I tried last night to inject oil into the tiny hole to pump them back up. I injected the oil by filling a syringe (no needle) with oil, pressed the nose of the syringe to the oil passage on the lifter and then pushed down on the plunger which forced the oil into the passage. They stiffened back up but after a minute they softened back up once again.

All the other lifters are rock solid.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
Did you soak the new lifters in oil a few housrs before installing them? I would soak them for a day if they say a few hours. But that's just me being too safe. Those lifters are EXPENSIVE! I would make sure the oil is well over the tops of them while you are soaking them.

Does it look like the lifters are sitting in the cam housing correctly? There is a ring inside the housing that matches the holes in the side of the lifters. I would double check and make sure they are fitting together correctly and that the ring in the housing matches the holes in the lifters. Maybe there is something behind the holding them up just a little. If I remember correctly that ring is only about 1mm. That leaves some room for error if you have something real small behind the lifter.

Is everything clean, passages and surface on the cam housing and head? I had a lot of extra "crap" everywhere when I did mine. I spent about 2 hours (maybe a little crazy) cleaning both surfaces and all passages.

What are you torquing the cam housing screws to? 14lbs? I know for a fact that I had a real hard time with the back screws on the bottom. There's not a lot of room in there, espically for a torque wrench, namely the last screw on the bottom. At least with the tools I have.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal

Last edited by Icey1174; 06-09-2007 at 06:54 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hpaulb
Check them again. They may have been emptied if they feel soft. Submerge in oil and push down on the centre pin. After a few times, it should get hard. Their OK. If there hard and don't get soft, there shot. Replace with used ones after testing the same way.
03 Altima Tin box
05 Pontiac Sunfire, 64 VW dirt buggy
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

meister member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by hpaulb
Check them again. They may have been emptied if they feel soft. Submerge in oil and push down on the centre pin. After a few times, it should get hard. Their OK. If there hard and don't get soft, there shot. Replace with used ones after testing the same way.
If this is the case I may of turned in the wrong lifters to the dealer

I threw up a post on which lifters are bad describing the behavior of each set. Please read the post and let meknow what you think.

Speedy

Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: