Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to jhampton
944 Wont Start When Cold

I HAVE AN EARLY 1983 944 AND I AM HAVING A PROBLEM STARTING MY 944 WHEN SHES COLD. IF I SQUIRT SOME STARTING FLUID DIRRECTLY INTO THE INTAKE SHA STARTS RIGHT UP AND AFTER SHES WARM NO PROBLEMS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS
Old 06-09-2007, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Starting fluid means lack of fuel. Test your fuel pressure at idle and while cranking. should be about 34psi.

Are the fuel pressure regulator and dampner (the two gold looking bulbs on the fuel rail) original? If so, the regulator could be gone and thus have trouble holding fuel pressure.

Nancy is currently [going in for the final 'once over' this week..]
AFJuvat - "Thou art affirmed: Go forth and inject fuel my son." LOL
Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to jhampton
I ASKED THE GUY WHO WORKS ON MY WIFE 940 TURBO AND MY 944 AND HE SAYS I HAVE CORRECT FUEL PRESSURE AND HE DOESNT HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT CAN BE WRONG. HE SAYS ITS WIERD THAT AFTER IT WARMS UP THE PROBLEM GOES AWAY
Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

DID YOU CHECK FUEL PRESSURE WHEN IT WAS WARM? OR COLD?

..check it when it's cold... and turn off caps.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 06-09-2007, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
I am saying fuel pressure too. I have had my fuel rail off a couple times now. Each time I put it back on I have to crank it over for a few seconds till I get fuel back into the rail and injectors. In my other cars the fuel pump starts pumping as soon as the key is turned to the on position. In this Porsche (I hope is supposed to be this way!) the fuel pump does not start pumping till I crank the car. Maybe your pump isn't getting the fuel up to pressure quick enough on the cold start. Once it's running the fuel pressure will maintain for at the very least a few hours after turning it off.

I do have a fuel pressure gauge mounted to my fuel rail. When the car is off and cooled off (overnight) my fuel pressure goes down to 0 PSI. I have no leaks in the system anywhere that I can see. But even with the gauge at 0 PSI it still starts right up with no problems. Right after the cold engine is started and turned off right away (within a few seconds) it maintains the proper FP. Not sure why or how long it takes to go back to 0 PSI. I just know that it does and I know that so long as I do not open the fuel rail that it starts up with no problems. Maybe I do have a problem with the FP. I guess so long as it starts and runs fine everything is OK.

I am also at 20 MPG and I beat on it the whole time. So I don't think I have any fuel leaks, unless these things are supposed to be getting 40 MPH!
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 06-09-2007, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Depending on how cold it is, the sensors can be just a tad too far away from the flywheel -- aluminum shrinks. Could also be their plastic connectors. I would check the clearance on the back sensor to the flywheel teeth. Should be 0.8mm.

The front sensor will properly adjust to the reference pin in the flywheel. It's the front sensor that signals the spark and injector timing. The rear sensor looks at the speed of the engine. This is used with the AFS position and the engine DME temp sensor to regulate the injector duration as well as the spark timing.

Also check for vacuum leaks. The cold idle bypass valve may me dirty and stuck. It's a timed heated bi-metallic spring device. Closes off the valve as it heats up. Takes about two minutes.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
SoCal,

Where is that valve? I have been in the cleaning mode with this engine of mine. My intake was a little dirty, clean compaired to pics I have seen on here, but I would like to clean that up too while I am at it.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 06-09-2007, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
It's under the intake manifold. There is one on all of the 944's. The early 944's have the heated element bi-metallic type, later 944's have a motorized three wire servo type and the 944S's have a voice coil spring centering type. All can be crudded up from blow back from the oil filler engine galley vent.

On the early 944's the power that goes to the fuel pump also goes to the ICV. If there is a short in the wires to or at the ICV then the fuel pump fuse will blow. In the later 944's the O2 sensor pre-heating element gets it's power from the fuel pump fuse. If there is a short in the wiring to the pre-heater the fuse will blow.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: