Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help If You Can

I have and 84 944 that has a nasty intermitten problem.. The car has been sitting for the winter, and a month or two ago i went to fire it up, and i put the in the coil and batt, it started right up but when i moved the coil ( while the car was running ) back in its little home, the engine died, i played with a couple connections and couldnt get it to start but it did crank just fine. A week later I went to try to get fired up and and when I hooked up the jumper cables and when it crank it was extrrrrreeeemmmly slow and the cables got very very hott!! A week later I tryed it again with a different battery and it turned over ( but not started ) fine then i tryed a couple more times and it cranked over extrrrrreeeemmmly slow. I have check the connections to the starter, i have changed the starter, tested the coil and various other ignition components. I have changed the ground wire and cleaned the contact area, i have tested and check the dme relay. I don't know where to go now... NOOO clue.. I appreciate any help...
Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

check the connections on the alternator, battery, and starter.. if they check out, take all 3 parts to a shop and have them bench test it.. they'll usually do this for free. at least they do around here...

that's what i'd do...someone more intelligent will be along shortly.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 06-11-2007, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
"moved the coil.." Bet the high voltage cable is loose inside the weather boots. Tends to pull out of the end connector but stay inside the weather boots. The HV (spark plug) cables unscrew from the connectors. Check both the coil and the dist.

To see if you have spark pull the #1 cable, stick a spare plug in the end, lay it on the intake manifold and crank the car. Should get a spark. If not check the coil to dist cable and the reference and speed sensors on the back of the engine.

Report back.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

would that cause the car to crank slow, socal? to me, slow cranking means the starter isn't gettin' the juice it needs......

Old 06-11-2007, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Car has been sitting. Could be corroded cable at the battery terminal especially if it's been "repaired" with an after market connector. I've "saved" some of these repairs by soldering a large copper lug onto the cable and then using a battery connector that has the large bolt rather than the plate to clamp a stripped cable.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

HEY SOCAL,

THE COIL IS IN GOOD SHAPE ON BOTH TERMINALS AND THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SIDES. NOW AS FAR AS THE DISTRIBUTOR GOES WOULD THAT CAUSE A SLOW CRANK?? I HAVE CHECKED OUT THE BATTERY TERMINALS AND THE STARTER TERMINALS BOTH ARE IN GOOD SHAPE... DO YOU THINK THIS COULD BE DME RELATED OR JUST CORROSION PROBLEMS.. ANYTHING YOU MIGHT KNOW ABOUT AN INTERMITTEN SLOW CRANKING ISSUE COULD BE USEFUL..
APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP-
DAN
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Have you established that you are getting spark? The slow cranking could be a low battery. You changed the battery and the cranking went up to normal, so this isn't a starter/battery problem.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

well the battery doesnt really matter cause everytime we try to start it, it has jumper cables on and when it DECIDES to crank slow the cables get very very hot almost to hot to touch.. Like it has way to much resistance, and i have check just about every connection between the batt, starter, and alternator. and i am not seeing anything that cause a problem, there was a problem with water pooling in the wire shrouding at the starter but i had cleaned and inspected. and it looks good no corrosion.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The Battery is shot, and there is a bad connection at the coil. that's what i would check first.

Last edited by 1988_944; 06-14-2007 at 04:12 PM..
Old 06-14-2007, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i have check both connections at the coil and both are in good shape along with the coil, now would that cause a slow crank.. what doesnt worry me is the not firing what worries me is the inability to crank fast enough to do anything.... one minute its fine but more times than not car over one very slow turn every 5 seconds..... i was thinking to much resistance but at this point any help will do??
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

have you tried another set of jumper cables?
how "heavy duty" are the cables you're using now?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

What condition is the engine / chassis ground in? Sounds like this might be an issue.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Did you get the problem fixed?

What is the status of your problem? Does your car start now? How did you fix it?
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i have replaced both the ground wire and connector along with the B+ connector. The car doesnt crank ( at leatst not enough to get it started) and when it does ( b/c the problem is intermittent) it wont start. I have checked all relay's and fuses, i am now thinking that it might have something to do with the ignition switch.. what do you guys think.. any ideas..

Dan
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i dont think an ignition switch problem would cause it to crank slow... when mine went, it was just either it worked or didn't... there was no slow cranking, no inbetween.

I'd still get your battery tested. Many hardware stores will do it for free. it's possible the car you're trying to jump off of just doesn't have the power to jump the 944... who knows.

my last battery that failed cranked the car slow.. I'd hook it up to a trickle charger, it'd say it got to 100%... I'd try to crank it with the charger off... and it'd still crank slow.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: