Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
12" sub install in a 944

I ahe a 12" sub and component speakers I am taking out of my Grand Am to put into my Porsche.

Is there anyone around here who has done an install with a sub this size?

And what about the intall of 5.25" component speakers in the front?

2007 Chevrolet HHR LT
Old 06-12-2007, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

there's no place to really put a 12" sub unless you were to have a box in the hatch, or replacing the rear seats.. 10" subs fit perfectly in the spare tire well, and 8" subs fit perfectly in the side buckets...

maybe consider trading your sub for ones of these sizes? that way you wont lose cargo area..

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
I have a 10" bass tube and amp in my spare tire area. Nice because everything look stock except for the double din screen in the dash. I also get some good bass from back there.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

I asked a custom car stereo shop the same question. He suggested creating a space for big woofers by using carefully fitted MDF panels over the side bucket locations at a 45 degree angle between where the hatch meets the sheet metal and the floor of the rear deck (so the woofers face each other). That way you wouldn't loose too much cargo area and you would still have access to the spare tire. I ended up with an A/D/S/ SB-7 subwoofer my brother gave me, to which I replaced the blown 7" woofers with Polk 8" db series woofers.

Last edited by onZedge; 06-12-2007 at 12:50 PM..
Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
I don't have a spare tire. The only time in my life I ever needed a spare is when I was doing something REALLY stupid or the tire was shot to begin with. Besides, what do you really store in those little compartments anyway??? I would be afraid to dent the rear quater by putting stuff in there.

I put mine under the carpet in the spare tire area because I already had a stereo stolen out of it once. So I didn't want to draw any more attention to the car.

I also had a problem with the rear hatch and license plate rattling from all the crazy bass coming out of the car. I got 4 good screws for the license plate and tightened them down good. No more rattling there. I thouhgt about the rear hatch and the idea of adjusting the pins that lock it shut. I read that if you adjust them too tight that you might not be able to get it open easily. I went to the hobby stroe and bought a 2mm think sheet of some kind of rubber. I cut them up in squares and put them in the space next to where the pin locks the hatch down. I put a stack of squares on both sides of the pin in that space. Now the hatch closes tight and does not rattle at all anymore. Because they are rubber pads I can compress them by pushing on the hatch to get it open if it is too tight. So far so good though. I also bought two rubber blocks that I can cut down to eliminate the stacks of rubber squares. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I put 2 12" subs where my rear seats were. I have a spare box for sale. PM me.

As for the doors, the issue with the 5.25" speaker is not so much the width (you can cut them to make them fit), it is the mounting depth. One the back side of the speaker hole you have a metal track for the door glass. On the other side, you have the dash. You don't have room unless you can find a shallow speaker.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 06-12-2007, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by onZedge
I asked a custom car stereo shop the same question. He suggested creating a space for big woofers by using carefully fitted MDF panels over the side bucket locations at a 45 degree angle between where the hatch meets the sheet metal and the floor of the rear deck (so the woofers face each other). That way you wouldn't loose too much cargo area and you would still have access to the spare tire. I ended up with an A/D/S/ SB-7 subwoofer my brother gave me, to which I replaced the blown 7" woofers with Polk 8" db series woofers.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking of trying with fiberglass. I had to custom make a box for the trunk of my Grand Am, I could try the same for the Porsche. I'd like put this in there since I already have the sub.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am going to see what I can come up with.
2007 Chevrolet HHR LT
Old 06-12-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i did custom fiberglass enclosures with at 3/4" baffle for my 968 - they drop into the seat wells in the rear, are .35 cu ft each, and drive an 8" driver each - very nice tight response down to about 40hz

enclosures and patterns for the baffle will be available soon
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Well maybe I will sell the 12" from my other car and get a couple 8's to put in the back in the storage areas on either side.
2007 Chevrolet HHR LT
Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here is what you do about the 5.25 component's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/569369/6
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
THANKS!!

2007 Chevrolet HHR LT
Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: