Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Replaced my shift boot (944, lots of pics)

One thing we noticed as we started driving around the car was that during shifting, the central boot wouldn't stay latched down, the leather taut and crusty. It's twenty years old, afterall. I purchased a new leather boot from Rennbay and went to work.

The boot itself is a finely stitched, yet oddly shaped, piece of leather. Tapered at the top to a small hole, it doesn't seem obvious how this would accomodate the larger head of the knob. But as we'll see, it went in fairly easily, minus a few kinks in the procedure. Rennbay also has a guide to installation of a new shifter boot. They also offer different colors and centre caps, depending on your car and preference.

The knob pulls from the car the reverse of how it goes in. Infer from the reinstallation part of this entry the actual procedure of uninstallation. Basically, the knob and boot and holding ring all come off the shift level in one piece to bring inside from the sweltering heat of a black car with black leather interior.

I had some trouble removing the cap from the knob through the obvious means of popping the cap off. The twenty years of tough leather, and what I'd find out afterwards, held it in place something fierce. My thoughts pondered on just cutting it off since I'd never be using it again. But instead of just doing damage, I sliced down the stiched near the top of the bulb which can be seen in the following image and inverted the leather until only the cap was left in place. Your mileage may vary, but this seemed to be the *only* method which got me closer to its removal.

A slight tug, and the cap popped off without damage to it...that is, any damage that *I* did to it. The previous owner must have tried this once, or this was just a poor job from the factory. The inside was lined with what looked like glue, but I cannot be entirely sure. It was fairly malleable and sticky, but could be just lubrication. There is a notch in one end of the cap which holds it in place. Opposite that, the plastic on the cap has been malformed by what looks like excessive pressure with a screwdriver during a prior attempt of removal. Due to the buldge, the cap doesn't sit completely in, but at a slight angle to flush, which I will always see, regardless how insignificant it really is. There is also a quite visible scratch running across the top of the cap. Rennbay also sells replacement caps, both plastic, and stainless steel. I may have to look into that next time I order from them (probalby for the odometer gear).

With the cap off, I can focus on the new leather. First, it needs to be stretched out and around the latching ring which sits in the console of the car. Takes some maneuvering, but it works easily enough. Be careful not to stretch too far and crack the ring as it'll be difficult to find a replacement.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The boot now looks like some bondage item, but is ready for the knob to be inserted. (Ha. I get it.) From the top, slowly press the knob into the leather trying to keep the seam straight. I did my best, and it's close, but not perfect, but not obviously out of alignment either. As the knob gets further and further in, the leather will get harder and harder to maneuver. This will take some time but eventually, there will be some play in the leather above the knob where the cap will sit.

From there, the cap can be inserted, holding down the top of the leather. Again, this will take some time, and pressure, and a lot of patience. The leather will attempt to bunch up in places you don't want. It'll be hard to press into shape. You'll get flustered doing this. Eventually, the cap will start to press into place, and the leather will become tighter and smoother.

Back in the car, the inner boot was still in good shape, just driven out of place by the old boot. Getting it to wrap around the metal snap lip was difficult. The carpet under the console isn't cut perfectly, and rubs on one side. Took some time, but I managed (hopefully) to secure the inner boot into place.

Installation of the knob is easy. There are rubber grommets which ride the inside of the knob's shaft to hold it in place and reduce vibration. In the pictures above, there can be seen a clip. This piece holds the knob onto the lever. It's a rough one to press on. Once installed, that clip doesn't want to budge. The inner rubber boot reduces both noise and heat from the shift linkage and subsequently the transmission. Snap down the boot ring, and the installation is complete!

I'm happy with the result. The pictures don't do the color justice. The black leather is a striking black in contrast with the duller aged black of the console. Eventually, with the new Porsche Crest shifter cap, the new seats and dash, the inside of the car will look even better than the outside.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you shouldn`t bend the leather like that at the top.
I did the same job few months ago. I`ll post some pictures later today.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the knob should look more like this. but this still isn`t perfect, you should smooth it as much as possible before puting the top plastic back

Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The cap I have is deformed. It looks like the previous owner must have done a job on it at one point. The bottom is all clumped and buldged so it doesn't fit in normally with or without the leather in there to begin with. When I get the new cap, I will definitely have a better surface to play with.

Indeed, your boot looks really nice.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bholmes
dagnabit i'm jelouse.

'86 944 NA
'94 Jeep Cherokee 3" and 31's
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
'98 Dodge Neon (the wife)
Old 08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitwound
Indeed, your boot looks really nice.
Thanks

I allmost completely lost my nerves when I was trying to put that plastic back in. first I broke all three extensions of that plastic, it still wouldn`t come in, so I had to fix it with salotape turn it arround and hamered it in.

This job really needs some patience
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I did the bootjob, then I went and do this:

This is very simple and cost effective upgrade and looks beautyfull..
(and no I am not muslim, I just like the keyboard :P)

sorry for offtopic...

Last edited by Voith; 08-07-2007 at 06:48 AM..
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You have a white car with the red interior? I'm sure it would look exquisite with the shiny handles. My black on black car, though, will keep its black handles STEALTH!

Soon to come: repaint/powdercoat the black in the rims, along with lugnuts, and then get the centre caps done.

My shift boot still comes off when in reverse though. Not all the time, though. The ring pops out from nearest the dash. What should I do about it?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

you probably fit the boot backwards.. it`s not tailored simetricaly and one end is longer than another. try turning arround the whole thing and check if it still jumps out.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I thought I checked so that was the case. I put the longer side toward the dash. I'l have to check though.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

One extra thought: Dip the end of the leather and the shifter in very hot water. Like fill bathroom sink with hot water, dunk for a minute, then stretch. The big problem with mine is that the stitching started to split, so as a desperate measure I went to hot water, then up it went.

Put on leather preservative on the top, then folded the overlap into the top of the shift head, smoothed it with a flat bladed screwdriver, and pressed in the top. Looks professional and the split is barely visible on the front of the shifter. Happy with the Pelican leather, the $20 Ebay ones are much thicker leather and split way too easily.

Tomorrow I'll put this back in my 944S with the new rubber insulating boot (mice chewed through it when it was parked for a few years with a blown head) and will be shifting happily and nicely again.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Also, if there is any extra leather laying horizontal inside the bottom of the recess where the gear pattern button goes into the top of the shifter, it can make the button stand proud of the top like that. I used Contact Cement around the edge of the opening to hold the leather in place while I trimmed the excess leather from the bottom of the recess with a fresh #11 Xzacto blade.

84 928S - Restoration Project
Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Nicely done. I'll have to post a picture of mine as well, my top part sticks up a tiny bit in the front, but not enough to notice.

Where I do have a problem is around the bottom: 7 of the eight clips connect properly but the last one (upper right top) refuses to click in because the leather must be too thick. Is there a tip for getting that to work as well?

The car is so much cooler inside since I replaced the insulating boot under the leather it's not funny. Highly recommended for anyone who thinks their 944 is getting warm from the shifter.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
944 S2

+1 on the contact cement. You have to work it a bit, but you can improve the results!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: