Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

just a general question to all you wrenches out there

hey guys, just a general question to you all... how do you keep your tools? I have a hell of a time keeping them neat... and it's so hard to find the right socket when I go looking for one (I've just got a tool box that i dump everything in with "shelves" that move out of the way when you open the top up..)

so how does everyone stay neat and tidy???

or do you? lol :P

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I clean them before putting them away, and give each drawer only 1 or 2 "kind" of tool.

I use 2 magnetic wrench holders and 2 socket trays.

I only have metric wrench's but they go up to 24mm so it takes 2 strips to hold them all.

One socket tray is for american sockets and spark plug sockets, the other is for metric.

I keep misc. in the top drawer.
Screwdrivers and spare wrenches in the second
Ratchets and gear wrenches in the third
Receipts in the fourth
Sockets in the fifth
I keep air guns, power tools, and crow bars in the bottom drawer.

The 5 side drawers
I keep misc. in the top
Pliers, dykes (wire cutters), similiar etc.. in the second
Hammers in the third
I forget what goes in the fourth drawer lol
Oil, coolant, cleaners, rags etc.. in the bottom
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Same way I keep house, discipline. Good tool box and a thing for organization, if you are not an organized person nor will your tool box!

Dal
Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
I'm a little more cruder than most. I have an orange bucket from Home Depot and inserted an organizer from Duluth Trading company. I put all of my screw drivers, pliers, channels locks, pens, pencils, dental picks, wire cutters and the like in there. I keep 3 to 4 sets of gloves: cut resistant, liquid and chemical and leather in there. I have a pair of cut/heat resistant arm sleeves that are in there too.

All of my sockets are in plastic containers. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 clearly organized, metric and English.

I have a small red tool box for my metric wrenches. I also have a larger box containing misc, screws, bulbs, electrical connectors, interior cap, hose clamps, etc.

What I need is to get the Lista 7 Drawer cabinet w/ rollers that I gave to my wife for use in her company's maintenance shop. They never use it. They use a worse system than I. It is a very nice cabinet, complete with organizing bins and trays. Very well built too. She never wanted it; insisted her staff would never use it. I thought the better. She was right; I was wrong. She has offered it to me: I should swallow my pride, admit I was wrong (again) and take it.

This has been very cathartic.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I've got a Craftsman rolling tool chest.

The drawers have labels like:

Allen Wrenches
Metric Sockets
Standard Sockets
Socket Drivers and Accessories
Metric Wrenches
Standard Wrenches

I also have separate tool boxes for Porsche-specific tools and for air tools.

Yes, I'm anal.

But I never spend more than 10 seconds hunting for a tool either...

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."

Last edited by legion; 08-14-2007 at 05:39 AM..
Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
I just got tired of doing what you described and went over to Sears and bought a 2 slide out drawer tool box. Sockets and wrenches (all metric) in bottom, all metric Open and closed end as well as mini's)wrenches in next drawer up and screw drivers and all else on top. Now that I've had it for a while, I am contemplating getting a larger sears tool box with more drawers. Maybe 4 drawers. BTW, I have only metric tools..

Hey, Eldorado.. Where are you in Ontario? I was born in Kingsville (30 miles east of Windsor) and am now in California.
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...

Last edited by Gordon Rankin; 08-14-2007 at 05:51 AM..
Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have three cardboard boxes. One for commonly used Porsche tools (eg, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm and 19mm stuff). Another box for tools that rarely gets used (the 12mm for brake bleeding, standard size stuff). A third bigger box for bigger things, like flywheel tools, P9201, etc, etc....

I have multiple sets of the common sizes, so there's always one somewhere nearby.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I just use channel lock pliers and a hammer, sometimes a dime in my packet in case I need a screwdriver. All those other fancy tools just make it too easy.
87 924s....don't let the door hit ya
68 912.......see ya!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Rankin View Post
I just got tired of doing what you described and went over to Sears and bought a 2 slide out drawer tool box. Sockets and wrenches (all metric) in bottom, all metric Open and closed end as well as mini's)wrenches in next drawer up and screw drivers and all else on top. Now that I've had it for a while, I am contemplating getting a larger sears tool box with more drawers. Maybe 4 drawers. BTW, I have only metric tools..

Hey, Eldorado.. Where are you in Ontario? I was born in Kingsville (30 miles east of Windsor) and am now in California.

I'm from Mississauga, a city about 30 mins west of Toronto.

Does anyone recommend any products to keep their sockets organized? or do you just lay them out flat in the drawer of your tool chest?

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

top and bottom box that house, hand stuff, sockets 1/4 to 3/4"dr, ratchets/sockets, screw drivers/prybars, wrenches, diagnostic, measuring, pneumatic tools that all have been in the same drawers for 25+ years.

i know what i used but clean/inventory each drawer when done.

"may the force be with you"
Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Parrothead member

I have 3 Cratsman cabinets a 16 12 and 10 drwer. The 16 holds all my hand tools. sockets are are kept on racks in the flip top. Wrenches are seprated by standard and metric and type and specialty. Ratchet handles and extensions in one drawer. Screwdrivers in one drawer nut drivers in another. Misc stuff in others sections.

The 12 drawer holds my machine stuff, measuring tools. Electrical testing, and specialty tools.

The 10 drawer is all my non auto tools.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Greasy Member

I'm kinda like Legion on this on this one!
I have a tall Craftsman Toolbox for every day tools, and a roll around for specialty tools.

Main tool box goes something like this: [xxx] = drawer
Top unit:
[socket wrenches] [ratchet extensions, knuckles, adapters] [knifes, misc]
[metric combo wrenches, metric flare nut wrenches, met. ratcheting wrenches]
[english combo wrenches, eng. flare nut wrenches, eng. ratcheting wrenches]
[pliers, snap ring pliers, vise grips, hose pliers, crescent wrenches]
[screw drivers, nut drivers, stick magnet, expendable mirror, allen wrenches]
[measuring devices: dial calipers, deflection guage, bore guages, torque wrenches]

Bottom unit:
[metric sockets in sorting trays]
[specialty sockets & tools: spark plug sockets, oil filter wrench, ball joint sep]
[english sockets in sorting trays]
[air tools: impact wr, air hammer, cut off, die grinder, etc..]
[specialty tools in boxes: noid lights, tranny guage, compression guage]

Roll around:
[drill bits, pop riveter, rivets,]
[A/C tools: spare hoses, dye, dye injector, fitting adapters, thermometer]
[body work tools: sand paper, lead bars, oak paddles, beeswax, etc]
[spare air tools]
[misc: grease gun, hack saw, c clamps, welding clamps..]

There is never enough space, even with the tool boxes above, I still have tools in my cabinets in the shop: stud welder, spot welder, rotozip, 9201... the list goes on and on!

Oh, and ya... I'm a bit anal when it comes to shop organization

-Nick
-Yes, I'm the crazy man that will loan out my 9201. Just PM me, I will add you to the list and get it out ASAP.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Well, I guess I am somewhat organized since I keep two (2) tool boxes. One is for German cars, so all metric in there plus soft socket and jack pads for 911 and 944. Then another tool box with all the American car tools and screw drivers, gear pullers, gasket makers etc.. This one is a three (3) drawer Craftsman. Would be nice to have a roller with more drawers. When I am working a project, I take what I believe I will need out of the tool box and place it inside a small plastic tub. When I am done, they all get cleaned and then put back into their respective tool boxes.

Now, with the delicate instruments such as the Porsche special tool P9201, that puppy stays inside the house on my parts shelf in its original shipping box. No way will I leave that in a tool box that gets shuffled around in the garage, and because I don't need it that often.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
LOL, I have a big 22 draw snop on tool box. I use socket holders and keep the wrenches in their holders too. Each draw is for one kind of tool, Socketss in one, Wrenches in another ect.... You get to know where everything is really fast. Which for me is really good cuz in my line of work, SPEED and doing it right the first time is everything when you get payed per job/flat rate
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Kyle.. seriously ..a cool toy to have is the mastercraft tool box.. comes in a briefcase style container and all the bits and pieces have their own spot...

Neat thing is if you break a piece. you go to the store and get a new one Over the counter.. no questions asked.. not that they break frequently ..theyre very very strong!!!

a few extras to get after that .. but only a select few pieces .. like a 17 and a 19mm wrench.. and youre pretty much set for everything.
~89 Turbo S ... I GOT ONE.. Hidden away in storage!!
~04 Cayenne S ...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

OH ..and the cool thing is it fits nicely in the spare tire wheel well... (i have no need for the tire) LOL
~89 Turbo S ... I GOT ONE.. Hidden away in storage!!
~04 Cayenne S ...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I lose everything but hammers. I keep a lot of hammers around so if I can't find the one I want, I can usually get one that will do WHAT I want.

Hammers are great for auto or any repair job. I recommend you get several and use them whenever WD40 and swear words fail.

Seriously, if you're losing sockets, its because you don't put them away. I'm lazy too, but I drink lots of bottled water. Thats the lazy man's #1 secret to keeping their tools on hand. Cut out the bottom of 1 gallon jugs and use them as temporary storage when working on long (or several) projects. keep your screws, nuts and bolts, washers and even some small parts in one. keep your smaller wrenches, the sockets you need, etc in another. That way, you're lugging around a pair of light, small toolboxes instead of walking to and from your workstation when you need to grab that 13 MM deepwell you used an hour ago and thought you were done with.

Clean everything off when the project ends, and the project isn't over until you've cleaned up Thats secret#2 for the lazy wrenchjockey. If you can train your brain to think "I'm not done yet" even though the fixing part is, you'll get everything put up and cleaned up before it walks away to hide under the rag bin.

my personal tics:

1: I hate the new socket holders. these little plastic things that stick out the end to hold them up. They wear out and start popping sockets loose. the metal ones are almost as bad; they just take longer to break down and lose their spring. Get the old type that looks like an elongated metal bucket with a handle that covers the sockets. They don't fall out of those unless you're really trying hard to make them.

2: 2 toolboxes are best if you work on several cars 9or the occasional lownmower, weedwaker, chainsaw, etc). Keep one fore metric and one for American. Put your "regulars" in these boxes if nothing else.

3: screwdrivers, hammers(), saws, drills and some wrench sets make a nice wall decoration, and plain sight makes things easier to spot.

4: When I finally got my hands on a standup box (utility cabinet, whatever they're called they're HUGE), it was quite a treat. I keep specialty tools, deepwells, and extra sets in there. I don't use it as often as I'd expected when I got it, but its big enough that overfilling isn't much of an issue and overfilling it seems, at this time, a silly concern. If you don't have one, get one.

5: i live on farmland, so theres lots of space. that makes the addition of a steel toolshed a few years ago an easy decision. your workspace is important when deciding the tools you'll have. Whenn I lived in town, i only had my 1gallon jugs and those 2 old fashioned toolboxes (and I mean OLD; one was my grandfathers) to work with. More space=more tools.
1987 924S (My Little Silver Money Eater!) 5-speed manual 2.5L SOHC

Last edited by S-G-Covin; 08-14-2007 at 09:58 PM..
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered Lunatic

Garage
I took thin (no more than 1") boards of styrofoam and cut them to fit around the empty space of my trays once I had all of my tools in place (sockets, wrenches, . . the little crap that gets messy). I didn't even make them fancy, just straight cuts the simply held things in place. Works great as long as you'll clean them and put them away after your done.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: