Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

FR Wilk chip?

Ok, everyone seems to endorse the FR Wilk chip on here. Why is that? I went to the web site and after an hour or so of grid Iron girl watching I found the chip there for $200. What does it do? Are there any specs for it? Is It that much better than a $20-$40 chip on ebay? Anyone have a file for an 87 na on there computer they would like to share? I have the ability to burn my own. Someone sell me on a FR Wilk chip.

82 928 Weissach #14
Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

it is based on the euro maps and ignores the O2 sensor.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 09-04-2007, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The cheapy ebay chips will blow up your engine, dont buy them.
FrWilk makes the best chips around for the n/a cars IMO.

Like the guy above me said, it is based off of the euro maps which makes it run richer.
Its best part is that it lowers the power band to start at 2500 instead of 4000, which is why it feels alot faster. He should have a description of how his chips work on his site.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Description......If he did that the guy above would start cutting into FR's business. Not going to happen. Knowing Wilk he will tell you to do your own research.....or purchase from him.

Just buy one, install, take for a test drive. If no likey sell it, it will sell in less than one hour! That should sell you on his chip!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Not trying to hijack this thread..

This is an interesting subject. In my local Porsche parts store the guy behind the counter tolde me to swap the whole motronic box from my 924S to a 944 one. He told me that he felt a power increase.

we are talking european cars here. Do think they maybe something in this? Would swapping the electronic control units make that much of a difference? I know Porsche de-tuned the 924'S'
72 Volkswagen Bug, 06 Volkswagen T5
14 Yamaha R1, 14 GSXR750, 17 CRF1000
Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Killer...The de tune you speak of is the difference in the Euro model and USA spec. The de tuning was done in the cam and lowered the compression ratio from a 10.2:1 Euro to 9.7:1 US spec. The control units for the 944 late engine are identical to the 924S...same engine. Swapping same year does nothing. Cannot speak for a euro/usa DME swap. This is in regards to the 85/2-87 engines. 88 got a CR increase and a 28 pin eprom...iirc.

Dal
Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDynoSoar View Post
I know Porsche de-tuned the 924'S'
Nope, they didn't.

In 1986, the 924S used the same engine in the US as the 944.

In 1987, the US 944 engine was updated (same displacement, but a bump from a CR of 9.5:1 to 10.2:1 which gave an extra 8 hp and 3 ft-lbs of torque), while the 924S continued to use the 1986-spec engine.

In 1988, the 924S got the updated engine from the 1987 944 as well.

The 1987 year, where the 924S continued to use the "old" engine is what has led to rumors that the 924S used a "de-tuned" 944 engine.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRK View Post
Ok, everyone seems to endorse the FR Wilk chip on here. Why is that? I went to the web site and after an hour or so of grid Iron girl watching I found the chip there for $200. What does it do? Are there any specs for it? Is It that much better than a $20-$40 chip on ebay? Anyone have a file for an 87 na on there computer they would like to share? I have the ability to burn my own. Someone sell me on a FR Wilk chip.
He used to have a lot of really good technical information for the DME, it's internal workings and associated parts and systems, especially for the earlier cars. He explained the differences between the various fuel maps and timings.

But no more, it seems - the links on the left are dead, except for the "order page" one...

I fitted one of his "shudder fix" chips to a buddy's early 944, and it worked as advertised. I never got around to fitting one to my '86 - mostly because Avenue Auto Wrecking in Kansas ripped me off for a 944 DME that didn't work and I didn't want to crack the sealed one.

Everyone who fitted the F R Wilk Power chip said that they were very impressive. Someone even posted a dyno chart here.

FR wilk chip DYNO results
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just got the Lamda...
GREAT DIFFERENCE compared to the Weltmeister I had before.
WILK IS KING!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoen View Post
I just got the Lamda...
GREAT DIFFERENCE compared to the Weltmeister I had before.
WILK IS KING!!!

Does the lamda come with the dual chip setup where you can have both chips and switch between them?

Thanks for the input guys I'm sold on the FR Wilk chip.
BTW the links on his site work now.
82 928 Weissach #14
Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ike229
I have the FRwilk Chip in my '88 924S, it was one of the first things I did when i bought the car about 3 years ago. I love how it lowers the power band, really lets you accelerate though all the twisties here in southwestern PA.

Get it.
'88 Honda Hawk
'75 Honda CB360
Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRK View Post
Does the lamda come with the dual chip setup where you can have both chips and switch between them?

Thanks for the input guys I'm sold on the FR Wilk chip.
BTW the links on his site work now.

No, his dual adapter chip has been discontinued.
It was only for the 1983-1985.5 cars as well.

Your car already has a socket that can have chips taken out and put in easily.
The early cars had them soldered in, which was why he made the dual adapter board.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
MAXchip

Has anyone checked out the MAXchip?, I know a lot of people on here have it on their turbos and S2's. When i was thinking about upgrading my 85.5 944, he didnt have a chip for the NA's, but someone was saying that he was working on it and would be out fairly shortly. From what I remember, it had a HP increase of about 9, 1.7 or something like that to the wheels I dont know if it is out yet, but before you buy a FR Wilk chip, you may want to check the MAXchip out too. Hes a member of Pelican i beleive, havent been on Pelican for about a month so i may be out of the game, but do some shoping and ask around before you buy, FR may be beter than the Maxchip, but I just wanted to mention the MAX if you didnt know about it. Good luck, Steve
85.5 944 red- Pinta (past)
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

the wilk lambda operates like the regular chip when it is idling. when the throttle goes down, the power begins. in a way it is a dual chip but you don't have to switch it. it uses the sensor when idling and i guess the magic begins when it revs up.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: