Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Stoutpants Send a message via AIM to Stoutpants Send a message via Yahoo to Stoutpants
Low Idle troubles

This past week I have been having some serious trouble with my idle.

1)Sometimes when I try to start my car the engine fires up but immediately dies. This hasn't been a consistent problem.
2)Not long after my car starts it has a very rough time idling. It fluctuates between 800-200 rpm and threatens to die if I don't give it some throttle. My car doesn't seem to have any problems once I give it gas and runs just fine.

Do any of you all have some advice?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi, I haven't had your specific problem but maybe check out your idle control valve or your throttle positioning sensor. Also, Look around for any vaccumn leaks or cracked hoses as well.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to procon
I was having a similar issue with my S, ran like crap till it hit 3000 rpms & then it would smooth out. Turned out to be two shot plug wires & some carbon build up.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Stoutpants Send a message via AIM to Stoutpants Send a message via Yahoo to Stoutpants
I just hooked a multimeter up to my TPS today. Everything read normal. I think my next step is to check the injectors and replace my relay. I know it's not my spark plugs. I had those replaced a month ago.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

How old are the cap/rotor/wires?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Engine swap pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsn View Post
Hi, I haven't had your specific problem but maybe check out your idle control valve or your throttle positioning sensor. Also, Look around for any vaccumn leaks or cracked hoses as well.
i would say have a look at this post again and see what you com up with. this problem would be most noticed when cold. also +1 on a vacume leak.
06 WRX ---- The "RUE"
Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to procon
Quote:
Originally Posted by onZedge View Post
How old are the cap/rotor/wires?
That's my bet.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
if you do not know how old your rotor/housing are, replace them, not difficult nor expensive; and wires do wear out but are expensive, so, if the problem continues: get a spark/ignition tester, not expensive, check your spark at the wires. my advice: test before you replace, b/c i have spent more money replacing good parts than the diagnostic equipment would have cost in the first place
Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Engine swap pro

cap and rotor will not cause a low idle i can show you pictures of mine that would runn to 130mph no problem and you will gasp at what they looked like. shoot i will just show you anyways. there was no idle problems with the car it showed up as a boost problem. so that is why i would lean heavy on the vacume leak or the idle set screw backed out or the ISV is stuck open. though the cap and rotor are good things to look at and should be i would not put my money on them unless the cap is loose if its not well then i dont know.

06 WRX ---- The "RUE"
Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

The more detailed info, the better...

stoutpants - we need more info.
You didn't say whether you have a low idle problem once the car was fully warmed up. Did you check your DMEII temperature sensor? Has the outside temperature fallen below the dew point at night recently (ie.: condensation on the plug wires)?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: