Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Learned by do'n twice

MIrror Switch Wiring

I'm working through the electrical gremlins in my son's 86 944 NA. Neither power mirror works. It seems all the wires are pulled off the actuator switch in the drivers door panel, right at the switch leaving nothing but solder joints at the terminals so I can't identify what color wire goes on what switch terminal. Anyone have a wiring pinout of this switch? There are 5 wires that connect to it.

I've searched the forum and haven't found any threads regarding this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

jmd_forest

Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This is the diagram for an 86. Hope this helps.
3bar Reg.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

AJ951,

Thanks so much for the diagram, just what I needed. I can't believe the great responses I get from this forum. I soldered the wires back onto the switch and tested it out with a DVM and it is working correctly now. Unfortunately, the mirrors still don't move.

jmd_forest
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Have u got a live as far as the switch on the centre consol?

Also check the block connector inside each of the mirrors depending on the year it was built ,theres a differnent method to get the glass off so u can check things

Not to sure on this one ,but there might be a block connector on the A post to join door loom to main loom,but for both of them not to work it sounds like the centre consol switch .Haveing said that if the wires were ripped out of the "joystick" control maybe the switched fell to bits at the same time looseing any little bits inside

Mark

Last edited by markt944; 11-10-2007 at 07:43 AM..
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

Mark,

I'll check out the center console switch next . It seems the most likely culprit since neither mirror moves in any direction. Even though the wires were ripped out of the joystick, after soldering them back I checked out the switch operation using the diagram AJ951 provided above using a DVM and it seemed to be working.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Have u checked the fuses? maybe as simple as that !

Mark
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Learned by do'n twice

Yes, I did check the fuse. I also checked the list in the fuse box for some type of relay but couldn't identify any for the mirrors.

jmd_forest
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

jmd_forest,

Here is a better picture of the mirror circuit including the center console switch. I didn't see a relay either. Good Luck!
3bar Reg.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

AJ,

Thanks again for the info. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to this for a few days, but the diagram will sure help when I do.

jmd_forest
Old 11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Concole switch is cheap and was a problem for me. Easy to jump out to test each side.

Jon
Old 11-13-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I replaced the mirror motor on my dirvers side. Here is the text of the forum that helped me.

Quote:
Quote:
Hint: Most cars of the middle to late 80's and into the 90's used the same electric mirror transmissions. So you just need to take yours out and visit a few major salvage yards in your area. Don't pay more than $10. I've found them in mustangs.

I had that problem, my mirror glass was flopping around after following a thread on replacing the mirrors with 968 Aero mirrors I got all of the information I needed to do the "Adjusting Motor" replacement.
I went to the local wrecker, found an early '90s Audi 100 with a broken passenger side mirror. I was concerned at first that it may in fact not be as universal as you suggested, but as I popped the mirror glass off I recognized the same transmssion and I was sure it would fit. I took me 5 min to extract!

The wrecker wanted to charge me $75 for the whole mirror. that he said I ruined, we settled on $20 for the part; too much maybe, but I got exactly what I needed, and unfortunately they are the only wrecker near town.

Any way, thank you for the solid advise. Keep up the good work.
Follow this lnk for mirror replacement directions. It specifies 968, but it is near the same.

http://www.951motorsports.com/

Cheers,

Dave

'86 951
www.pelicanparts.com/pmpre/images/db-951/db951_sep_04-002.jpg
The hours your Porsche spends parked, you don't get those back.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: