Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help for our troops

I posted this on the Porsche 911 Tech forum:

Well fellow Pelican members, it's the Christmas and Holiday Season. A time of caring and giving. Wayne and Pelican parts have graciously allowed me to post this request.

I was moved by 2 stories I recently heard. One directly and the other on the TV. Firstly, my oldest daughter is in a class with a boy who has a brother serving with the Canadian forces (joint with US troops) in Afghanistan. His cel telephone bill was $700 in October, calling home to keep in touch with family and friends. Also, on TV I saw a story about a couple of kids that raised several thousand dollars in their local community (in Indiana I think???) to help out a soldier from their town that rang up an $8000 phone bill.

This got me thinking and motivated. I have a friend that distributes pre-paid phone cards and may be able to give me a wholesale price on any sized purchase. What I'd like to do is ask for small donations from members/guests and friends - $5, $10 or ??? - to purchase pre-paid phone cards. All proceeds (after Paypal fees) would go to buy the cards and I would send them off via our troop support organizations. They would be distributed in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere I would think. I do not profit at all and would do all the leg work for nothing, not that it's that much anyway. Also, there's no tax deductions for me or any donor.

If you can, great. The easiest way to donate is through Paypal. I've setup a Paypal account - troopcalls@gmail.com. I'll post status updates with amounts and donor names if so desired. Anonymous is fine too. If not, that's OK too. Maybe you can help in other ways.

Feel free to email or message me using the PP message system. Thanks and happiest of Holidays to all!

Mike

If your interested or can help, it's best if you can follow the thread by clicking on the link below. Thanks.

Help for the troops
Old 12-12-2007, 04:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I belong to an organization which does the same thing you describe.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

....good on you. For those others that can, please donate whatever you can. I've received several emails from soldiers saying this small gesture goes a long, long way.......... Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Engine swap pro

i just saw this and would like to Add something. IF the people in Afghanistan were to buy a prepaid Sim card and call home it is only$0.50 per min VS $4.99 and up, a min using a us company. now here is the best part the cell systems they use there are on the European network, IE if you want to get someone a phone buy a QUAD band phone then it will work there. but the best bet would be to send them the money to buy the same phone there for about 1/2 the price you would pay here! one company that works really well is called "Roshan" it is a prepaid cell company in Afghanistan. i used them for 4 out of my 6 month deployment. well worth it! also you can buy phones and the prepaid cars from the Base exchange (store). If you would like some more information on this please drop me a line.
06 WRX ---- The "RUE"
Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply myskyon. There's no substitue for experience! Several alternatives have been suggested to me, all of them good. Calling cards are one way that I know to work and when combined with the ability to purchase and send online, it's about the best I can do.

If you're following the main thread, you'll know we've pooled enough funds to purchase 50 cards. Hopefully we can raise enough for another 50 in the next few days! Best of the Season to all,

Mike
Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to firefighter7128
I am a local Radio DJ and own my own buisness selling Emergency Vehicle Equipment.
For a few years now i have been sponsoring and working the "Give to the Troops" that we do out in front of Sam's Club every year. Awsome response. You can check out the main site at www.give2thetroops.com

Old 12-26-2007, 09:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

.....that's great! There are many ways to give, and many things to give as well. The calling cards worked out really well and from all accounts are very much appreciated. The important thing is to remember there are many in harm's way. Regardless of your opinion on whether or not they should be there in the first place is not the issue here. The fact that they are over there is. Doing anything to bring home a little closer is a good thing.....

I'd like to keep this thread going for the rest of the week or so. Thanks to all of you for the kind donations. Let's try to keep them coming! We're half-way to buying another 25 pack of cards.

To those of you over there, stay safe.......

Mike
Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to USMC_944lover Send a message via Skype™ to USMC_944lover
I really wish I saw this thread before now. I know how much it helps and how much our troops appreciate those kinds of gestures. God Bless and Go GOP!

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving."
-Ulysses S Grant
Old 01-06-2008, 01:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

USMC_944lover, thanks for the reply. I thought I had taken the drive as far as I could; but there still appears to be interest; so I'll keep it going. Here's the link to the new thread:

Help for the Troops II

Mike
Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to porsche9442285
Thumbs up

i know this was months agao but i want to say that is awesome of you guys to help the troops. i served in iraq for a year and it was literaly hell on earth. and support from people back home is what keeps you alive....so even though im no longer in the military i want to say thank you to you guys
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Version III is underway. Check out the main thread here and please donate if you can:

Help for the Troops III
Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'm in the Army and have deployed to Iraq twice. Great ways to support the Soldiers are listed on the website http://www.americasupportsyou.mil

Grant
Old 11-23-2008, 05:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Grant;

Thanks for the info.Lots of good ways to give there as well.....
Old 11-23-2008, 06:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Version IV is underway. Click on the link below and please help if you can.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/504400-troopcalls-iv-help-our-troops.html
Old 10-11-2009, 02:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Check out the main thread here and please donate if you can

Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

When I was over there, care packages were like. Christmas. Best time of the week.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Quote:
Well fellow Pelican members,
This guy's just a spambot. Please delete his account.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

hello everyone, I have 1987 944 and my head lights stop working I was wandering if that mite be just a relay?
thanks.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Custom User Title

Garage
If you put your question in a proper thread, it might get answered.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: