Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Interior light does not turn on when driver door opens??

I am a newbie to this board. I do not know alot about autos so please be patient. I have a little 1985/2 red 944, one owner, me. I drove her off the showroom almost 24 years ago. June 13th to be exact. I am trying to bring her back to A1 condition for her 25th birthday. My problem is when I open the driver side door the interior lights do not come on. When I open the hatch or the shotgun side door they work fine. Can someone tell me what I need to do to correct this? Thanks in advance.

stargsr
Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
Relax, we are all friends here and willing to help. First, welcome to the forum, don't be a stranger. Problem is probably the switch located in the driver door. See if it is stuck in by pulling on it to see if it pulls out. If it does and the light doesn't work, then you probably should replace it.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 12-21-2007, 06:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
in denial

sounds like you may have a bad, dirty or disconnected door switch. the switch can be found centered between where the door bolts onto the car. there is one philips screw there... take off the screw pull it out, but not too hard (you don't want to disconnect or break the wires.... make sure the wires are connected, and clean. let us know what you see there that'll help us to help you a little better.

thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 06:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
in denial

sorry tom.... you posted while i was typing...

also, if you need another switch... i have one you can have.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No apology required. Nice of you to try and help others..like I said..we're all friends here. Besides, your advice was better than mine!

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
Old 12-21-2007, 06:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

replace it with a new switch.

btdt:
i removed the old one/wires were no problem, cleaned it, tested ok with an ohm meter but still didn't work the light.

"may the force be with you"
Old 12-22-2007, 07:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Looked at the switch this am

Hi,

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I got the switch out this am. I looks like the connections are ok. On occasion when trying to remove it from the cavity, I would see sparks when metal hit metal so I feel like there is power to the switch. I could not see anything that would incumber the switch working (dirt, etc.). So, I am thinking it may be broken and I need another. How much is the switch you have and what forms of payment do you accept? I have paypal, etc.

Thanks so much for the quick feedback, I had to wait until I had daylight to check it out.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
in denial

stargsr, just pm me your address and i'll mail it out on monday. no charge.....
Old 12-22-2007, 08:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargsr View Post
Hi,

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I got the switch out this am. I looks like the connections are ok. On occasion when trying to remove it from the cavity, I would see sparks when metal hit metal so I feel like there is power to the switch. I could not see anything that would incumber the switch working (dirt, etc.). So, I am thinking it may be broken and I need another. How much is the switch you have and what forms of payment do you accept? I have paypal, etc.

Thanks so much for the quick feedback, I had to wait until I had daylight to check it out.

the two wires should have a protective shield and the only part exposed is the two spade connectors.

sparking indicates bare wires which could be part of your problem.
you'll know when you get the switch in the mail, installed.

my switch sits in a boot that isolates the switch from the door frame.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I had the same problem with my drivers side door interior light switch. I took it out, inspected the contacts and they looked clean, so I reinstalled it and it still didn't work.

I took it out again and disconnected the wires, then sprayed the contacts and spring with some WD-40. I let it soak in for a couple of minutes, then wiped the contacts clean and reinstalled the switch. It's been working fine ever since.

Not sure if this will work for you, but it seemed to fix my problem.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

To accurately tell if the switch is the problem touch the two wires together...if the light comes on, then replace the switch.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
Old 12-22-2007, 11:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
in denial

good call tom, i knew that, but for some reason it didn't even register with me....
Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Do the 2 wires get shorted together, or does each one get shorted to ground? I thought it was the second of the two and there were 2 seperate circuits inside the door switch...

Buy my parts!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Good question Zero...I'll have to check. But one thing I thought of since then was to recheck his fuses since he sparked the wires. It may have blown it. I'll look at the diagram and see which way it works but I think the wires connect to complete the circuit.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

So sorry to be so late getting back. Life keeps happening. So, I want to thank the generous person who mailed the switch. The bad news is it didn't work. Iwill continue to try to find the problem.

All feedback is soooo appreciated. This is such a nice bunch.

stargsr
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Just one for the 911 owners with a similar problem with the door light switch when the wiring has fallen into the door pillar cavity. If you DO happen to break the switch away from its wiring, take the following action;

Remove the side carpeted kick panel which will expose wires and ventilation ducting. Look UP under the dash board to the left (or right depending which side you are working on) and you will see 3 grommet holes. The wire for the light switch is the single one going through the HIGHEST hole. Mine is plain black with a fabric covering over the wire (you can't see this of course until you pull the wire out). Now...GENTLY pull the wire through the hole. NOTE: If it won't move you have probably got hold of the WRONG wire! It's the one in the TOP hole!! You should now be looking at the broken end of the wire.
FIRST thing to do is to make the wire LONGER by joining (bullet connector or similar) to a new length about a foot long.
Cut a piece of thin (say 1 millimetre NO THICKER) plain wire about 2 feet long (we'll call this the "tracer wire" ) put a bend in it and push it through the grommet hole so that it moves DOWN the cavity inside the door pillar. Please remember to hang onto the other end!!! Cut a similar but shorter piece of wire and twist a hook on the end. Insert this through the SWITCH hole to grab the tracer wire you have pushed through the grommet hole and pull the trace wire through but not too far! Bare the end of the new piece of wire and twist around a hooked end in the tracer wire. GENTLY pull the tracer wire through the switch hole and bring the new length of wire with it. Either attach this end to a new (recommended) switch or clean and replace the old one as long as you are able to connect the wire to it satisfactorily. Make sure that when the plunger button is released it makes a good earth in order to activate the lights.
Easy peasy!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkeith View Post
Just one for the 911 owners with a similar problem with the door light switch when the wiring has fallen into the door pillar cavity. If you DO happen to break the switch away from its wiring, take the following action;

Remove the side carpeted kick panel which will expose wires and ventilation ducting. Look UP under the dash board to the left (or right depending which side you are working on) and you will see 3 grommet holes. The wire for the light switch is the single one going through the HIGHEST hole. Mine is plain black with a fabric covering over the wire (you can't see this of course until you pull the wire out). Now...GENTLY pull the wire through the hole. NOTE: If it won't move you have probably got hold of the WRONG wire! It's the one in the TOP hole!! You should now be looking at the broken end of the wire.
FIRST thing to do is to make the wire LONGER by joining (bullet connector or similar) to a new length about a foot long.
Cut a piece of thin (say 1 millimetre NO THICKER) plain wire about 2 feet long (we'll call this the "tracer wire" ) put a bend in it and push it through the grommet hole so that it moves DOWN the cavity inside the door pillar. Please remember to hang onto the other end!!! Cut a similar but shorter piece of wire and twist a hook on the end. Insert this through the SWITCH hole to grab the tracer wire you have pushed through the grommet hole and pull the trace wire through but not too far! Bare the end of the new piece of wire and twist around a hooked end in the tracer wire. GENTLY pull the tracer wire through the switch hole and bring the new length of wire with it. Either attach this end to a new (recommended) switch or clean and replace the old one as long as you are able to connect the wire to it satisfactorily. Make sure that when the plunger button is released it makes a good earth in order to activate the lights.
Easy peasy!
great info, the 911 forum may be interested in.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
one thing to keep in mind, (this happened to me) when you turn off the ignition key, you can still operate the windows until you open the door, if the door switch doesn't work, that system remains active. On my car this was draining the battery over a period of a week or so, I may have another problem contributing but when i fixed the switch the batt. stopped dying
1987 944 n/a (sold)
1987 944 factory yellow (junked )
Old 08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: