Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Corbeau Seats Question

I have a 92 968 that I use primarily at the track. I intend to install a bar (autopower arrives tomorrow) harnesses (simpson 5 point cam lock) and seats (corbeau forza) to boost safety and get myself better cinched into the car during hot lapping.

My quesstion is this...

I need the brackets to install the Corbeau seats, and the only brackets they list are these...

944,930 (HARNESS) 78+ C22059 C22059
944,930 78+ (W/SBELT) D244SBT D245SBT

Which of these is appropriate for my car? (I am of course presuming that the 924, 944 and 968 floor pans are identical)

Any ideas?

Tom

Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
I believe the difference is the 'D' prefix denoes that the bracket has a provision for the seat belt, while the 'C' prefix has you mount the seat belt to the transmission column.

Technically you should mount the inner lap belt anchor to the transmission column as was the way its as done on the 924 and early 944's. Depending on rules, you may not be allowed to anchor the lapbelt to the same point the seat mounts to. Later style cars had the inner lap belt mounted on the seat.

I am pretty sure there is already a marked location on the body to drill the hole for the lap belt, but you still need to use a backing plate on it.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jon,

Since I intend to maintain my three point belts for on road legality - I would guess I should just buy the bracket with the belt attachement point, and then attach my harness to the transmission column. Would you agree?

Tom
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Tom,
Not to throw dirt into this posting but my understanding is Corbeau's are not allowed in PCA. This only applies to Club Racing/AX not DE. You may wish to double check that rule first then move forward. Hate to see you waste time/cash if so!

A seat back brace may be required also for the Forza, worth some research first. If only a DE'r please disregard my input!

Dal

Last edited by 924Sman; 01-23-2008 at 05:38 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Dal,

I don't intend to race at any time in the near future so this is for DE. At the same time I am trying to get increased safety for a reasonable price. I looked at the PCA rules regarding seats for racing and I could not find the information on corbeau.

I guess I am trying to find a reason to not buy corbeau seats and am looking for something more than anecdotal evidence.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Tom

They(PCA) don't specifically state Corbeau's but the construction of them is not up to FIA homogulation(sp?) standards if I recall. When shopping myself I considered the Forzas and found that I could not use them for CR. Something to do with shell construction iirc. So I ended up going OMP, which by the way, I like better than the Forzas. Better fit and cushioning for me. But seats are like shoes, it is the fit that counts!

Whether a DE or CR the seat and safety equipment should be the same IMHO so I would look hard at the Forza's if they "cut the mustard" before a purchase.

Then of course once a DE'r hits the track a few times the addiction takes hold and you end up buying more race stuff and the next thing you know you are smack dab in the middle of the pack in the Rolex series!.....moral here is buy now and be done with it!!

Dal
Old 01-23-2008, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924Sman View Post
Then of course once a DE'r hits the track a few times the addiction takes hold and you end up buying more race stuff and the next thing you know you are smack dab in the middle of the pack in the Rolex series!.....moral here is buy now and be done with it!!

Dal

I sure hope to get there some day! But I think the wise course of action would be to assume that you are going to sell your DE car and buy a CR car when the time is right. Economically, it makes a ton more sense to sell the street car at fair value and buy the race car. Turning one into the other may be fun and rewarding, but it's pricey! It seems like there are enough racers (Club and NASA) with fully prepped 944s always moving up or moving on.

So, I'd say that there are "DE" mods (seats, harness bars) that make sense even though they'll never pass muster for CR or Spec 944.

I've posted elsewhere a question about spring rates for a DE car. If I was turning the car into a race car, I'd go all-out, but I do not want to morph the car into something that's not a race car, but also not a suitable street car.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: