Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to hermesbooking
86 944 Strut Questions??

Got an 86 944 N/A. Have a set of struts that I am replacing the cartridges in. Got the springs off today, found the passengers side shaft to be bent! What is the best way to remove the end caps that hold the carteridges in off? I don't want to mess anything up, looks like a washer on the end with a square chunk 180 apart. These just unscrew? Vise and a pipe wrench? Don't want to damage and repaint before the parts come in. Thanks Mike

http://www.c28.com/?adid=st&iid=25349
Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
Can you get a picture?

Having just did this yesterday....

Put the housings in the vice, horizontal. Use a good big pipe wrench & a hammer to bang on the end of the wrench. If that doesn't help, hold the housings upside down and spray some pb on the threads. Give it an hour or so and try again.

Are you going to Koni's, Bilsteins or something else?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Putting KYBs in. That is all I caould really afford at this point. Got 2 cartridges and 2 boots shipped for a real good price, under 100
Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, on an 86 they just unscrew... I can't look in your wallet, but I'd really recommend to spend the little extra $$$ and get decent Bilsteins or Koni inserts, since you're taking everything apart. This way you only have to do it once.

My 2 cents.

1994 BMW 325is M-Technic
1986 Porsche 944 N/A
Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Double post...

1994 BMW 325is M-Technic
1986 Porsche 944 N/A
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
I assume you have the spring, upper perch & mounting bracket off.

First put the strut in a vice horizontally and tighten down.

put a big pipe wrench on the end nut and tighten it down:

Now go ahead and try to loosen the nut. If it you can't move it, try hitting the end of the pipe wrench with a hammer where the arrow is. You may need to use some WD40 or PB Blaster and keep trying.

Once the nut is off, remove the insert. Install new one and reverse the process. You should get a new nut with your strut inserts. HOWEVER.....Koni inserts do not come with a new nut.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Great pics.

I would add that I also find that 2 big pipe wrenches do the job too.

-Dan C.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys. Well got the struts apart today with no issues, thanks to the pics from hpservertech. They came off easy, just had to work the O-Rings loose. The struts were completely shot! Oil came out every where and the tops of the inserts were broken. Got the assembly part sand blasted today, cleand and painted. Hopefully the inserts will be here tomorrow or Friday so I can get everything back together! Thanks again, Mike
hpservertech you can have the parts you wanted. Thanks Mike

Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: