Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear speaker installation tips.

I searched the forums and didn't come up with much - so...

I am going to replace the rear speakers in my 92 968. I have been searching for tips and tricks - or even a write up by someone who did it, and haven't found anything. Can anyone give me some pointers - when I searched at crutchfield they listed the install as difficult - and when I bought speakers at Best Buy they would not quote a price for install as they said "Porsches are hard and therefore we charge $17 every 15 minutes.

Thanks

Tom R

92 968

Last edited by 968TomR; 03-06-2008 at 07:10 AM..
Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did this one... sort of. The webbing is under the rubber for the window. To do it right, you have to pop out the window. (not as difficult as you think) Use lots of windex or soapy solution on the rubber and push out from the inside. Obviously have someone on the other side to help it out.
From there it isn't too bad. Remove the carpet beading and door beading.

To get the window back in... tons of soapy water again and wrap a string around the rubber channel. Having someone "guide" it in place from the outside and pushing evenly and not too hard, pull the string from the inside. This will pop the rubber edge into the metal lip. Hope that makes sense to you.

Now, having said all that.. I aint no expert on this (hence the "sort of"). If someone has a better method, I'm all ears.
2007 Lexus IS250
Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Clark,s Garage did a good job on explaining this one.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-24.htm
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You guys rock.

Tom
Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

I took a different tack in replacing the rear speakers. I used the same size (6 x 4, I think) speakers and reused the old wires, By removing the door gasket and the screws holding the side covers on you can pull the covers 6 to 8 inches from the body panel. I used a racheting phillips angle driver to remove the 4 screws holding the speakers in place. It's tight but only took me about an hour per side to replace the speakers.

jmd_forest
Old 03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
Do it the way that jmd suggests. Easier the removing the window.

Personally I would run new wires too. Easy to do with the same method. I just dont trust 20 year old wires.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Coming up on your left...

Send a message via AIM to Aufgeladen944
I abandoned those speakers and mounted 6x9's in their own boxes in the rear hatch. That was exceptionally easier than either of these two methods. I just ran new wires to the back, and them bam I was in business.

Easy to undue, as well.

Siena College '08
Manager, Mavis Discount Tire
Old 03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
In over my head

I followed Clark's Garage instructions for replacing the speakers without removing the windows. Worked like a charm - just requires patience and care. Be careful not to bend the panels too much as they can be a bit brittle from age.

It took me about 3 hours and I would rate my skills as below average (certainly compared to some of the people on this thread).
74.5 Triumph TR6 (restoration project)
05 Subaru Legacy (winter car)
Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
I took my windows out and replaced the OE speakers with Fosgates. I bought them from Crutchfield. They fit the same mounting pattern. Takes patience removing the glass, trim, etc. Putting the glass is not difficult if you use rope, soapy water and a helper. I actually found a small piece of rope in the rubber trim when I remove the glass. Obviously, the Germans used it too.

I saw the rope trick on a recent 'Trucks' episode on the Spike network.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Stereo - Rear Speaker Replacement

Here is a step by step procedure from Clarks' Garage

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 08-15-2019, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah! No need to take the rear windows out just lift up the rubber on the inside of the window remove the rear panel screws and seat belt mount and then you can take the panel out, Without removing the windows. I got a 5-1.2 and a tweeter on both side in there instant sound improvement.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHillary View Post
Yeah! No need to take the rear windows out just lift up the rubber on the inside of the window remove the rear panel screws and seat belt mount and then you can take the panel out, Without removing the windows. I got a 5-1.2 and a tweeter on both side in there instant sound improvement.
I was just goign to say that. Replacing speaker in the earlier design? major PITA. In a 968, a piece of cake, more or less.
Even removing the interior panel itself in a piece of cake if you're using panel pulling tools, which are dirt cheap on Amazon.

That being said, I'm currently retrofitting 968 panels into my 924S. Which needed the window pulled. a speaker replacement as well.
They said it wouldn't fit because the 1/4 windows are different, but it does..the panel is identical in shape.

The test fit...

'09 Cayman - Grey - bought 9-8-20

Last edited by WolfeMacleod; 09-29-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I have an 87 924S I pulled my windows and I had a removable plate to install 6-1/2 rounds. I didnít like the hole that was left so I made an aluminum plate to cover it an mounted the speakers to it also
Old 09-21-2019, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I just replaced my rear speakers this afternoon in my 1987 NA. I carefully pulled off the trim strip around the rear of the door and removed the two cross head screws holding the rear panel in place. I then pulled up the panel and used a “thumb wheel” with a cross head bit on it to remove the four screws. Took about an hour to remove the old speakers and put the new ones in. Scraped my hands up a bit but there was no damage or creases in the trim. Not hard to do but I recommend doing it on a hot day so that the trim panel is softer.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: