Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Suspension/handling question

What I have:
1988 944 Turbo S. Front double adjustable, ride heigh adjustable Konis with 250 lb springs. Rear adjustable Konis. 26.8 mm front sway. rear 19mm adjustable sway set on medium. Stock Torsion bars.

What I did:
Struts and shocks installed. ( Rear set half-way between full soft and the mid-point.

What's not done:
I forgot to change the rear sway so the 19mm bar is still in the middle setting. Front struts not height adjusted yet and front seems to be sitting high. No alignment yet.

What happens:

The car feels tight although it seems to oversteer more than previously.

Question:
Should I assume this is the way the car will react or will this change when all the "What's not done things" are done?

2008 Grand Cherokee Overland (Black)
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...S/dsc_0437.jpg

Last edited by Jeeper31; 03-11-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well, if your ride height is not set, AND you haven't aligned the car...

a) I would not expect it to handle as you expect all the time
b) I would definitely not drive it hard until you finish the job!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The bigger front springs will produce more understeer. A larger rear bar will create more oversteer. The set up you have should be fairly neutral so I would get a good alienment and set the ride height before making any judgements about any other adjustments. Getting a proper corner balance will also help correct any handling issues, although you may not feel any difference on a street car. On a side note, If you go with bigger sway bars and want to get rid of your current ones, let me know. They would be a good set up for my na.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

you say "double adjustable" on your konis - so, these then are not the koni yellow sports that many run - cool - i have hydraulic double adjustables on my car - what are the compression and rebound settings are you using on them?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
you say "double adjustable" on your konis - so, these then are not the koni yellow sports that many run - cool - i have hydraulic double adjustables on my car - what are the compression and rebound settings are you using on them?

to tell you the truth I have not set them. I bought them used so whatever they were set on (Maybe Stephenwz968 could chime in here) is what they are still set on.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgordon13 View Post
The bigger front springs will produce more understeer. A larger rear bar will create more oversteer. The set up you have should be fairly neutral so I would get a good alienment and set the ride height before making any judgements about any other adjustments. Getting a proper corner balance will also help correct any handling issues, although you may not feel any difference on a street car. On a side note, If you go with bigger sway bars and want to get rid of your current ones, let me know. They would be a good set up for my na.
Can I get a corner balance after the alignment and the ride height adjustment or are those included in a corner balance?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Corner balancing is done when setting the ride height. A corner balance should be done before an alignment so any changes in setting the ride height will not effect the alignment. You could set the ride height and just do an alignment if you didn't want to do a corner balance. Corner weights are really a fine tuning tool and doesn't make a big difference in the handling of the car. Cars with stiffer suspensions are more sensetive to corner weights and will not be a big thing with your springs and tbars. There is a lot of weight transfer with softer suspensions so individual corner weights is not as important.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i think the ones steve had were koni sport yellows, in which case, they are only single adjustable (ride height does not count as an adjustment), and likely not the cause of your oversteer - you can easily tell by the number of adjusters - the doubles i have have one on top, and one on bottom

more likely it's in the geometry

after you get the ride height and geometry set, set your tire pressures equal on all four corners, at the spec on the door - then drive and see how it is
Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
i think the ones steve had were koni sport yellows, in which case, they are only single adjustable (ride height does not count as an adjustment), and likely not the cause of your oversteer - you can easily tell by the number of adjusters - the doubles i have have one on top, and one on bottom

more likely it's in the geometry

after you get the ride height and geometry set, set your tire pressures equal on all four corners, at the spec on the door - then drive and see how it is
They are Koni Sport yellows hoiwever, there is an adjustment on the top and bottom.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

those are not sport yellows then - sport yellows are gas, and have only the top adjustment - the allen at the bottom is only a bolt, not an adjuster

my koni hydraulic units have a slotted adjuster at the bottom for compression
Old 03-11-2008, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
those are not sport yellows then - sport yellows are gas, and have only the top adjustment - the allen at the bottom is only a bolt, not an adjuster

my koni hydraulic units have a slotted adjuster at the bottom for compression
These are my struts.

F/S: 944/951/968 S2 Koni 3 way adjustables
Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

nope - if that's an adjuster on the bottom, it's not the koni yellow sports like a lot of folks here have - the listing says they were converted

interesting - i wonder if those might be an earlier version of what i have - i assume that "knob" at the bottom turns

quick check to see if it's gas - remove the springs - turn the upper adjuster full clockwise, and the lower (assuming it turns) counter clockwise - then, compress the strut shaft - see if it pushes back up on its own

by the way, the reason i ask, is that determining the correct front settings now becomes a lot more critical in controlling your setup
Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I meant to post onto this thread but I posted on your Koni thread in error.

Below is a pick of the bottom of my Koni Yellows. Mine definately have a bolt on the bottom that holds the strut in place - yours looks different and looks like a small tool fits into the bolt/adjuster to adjust the struts from the bottom. Just my $.02

'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

yeah - that's the "normal" setup for koni yellow sports
Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah - that's the "normal" setup for koni yellow sports
Which is?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

the ones that tidybuoy posted are koni sport yellow, and the ones that most people have

Old 03-12-2008, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: