Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Jeff A.

Send a message via Skype™ to jbaeng
installing thermostad

hi guys,

I'm replacing the water pump and belts. I'm putting a new thermostat with a new oring (they both came in the thermostat package) in the rebuilt water pump. putting oring on the inside of thermostat and when try to assemble it I can not get snap ring to seat in groove. I can not get it in deep enough, the oring seams a bit too thick?

Any thoughts/ideas?

'88 944
'99 Vanagon
'03 Pilot
Old 04-20-2008, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bholmes
If I remeber correctly from that miserble job there are two sizes of o-rings, a fatter one and a skinier one. make sure you have the right size before you get to far.

'86 944 NA
'94 Jeep Cherokee 3" and 31's
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
'98 Dodge Neon (the wife)
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Redline Racer

If by inside you mean putting the o ring in first and the thermostat on top of it, then that is wrong. The o ring should have a deep groove along the inside edge so that it can fit over the outside edge of the thermostat.

Also check that the inner seal in the water pump is flush against the pump housing. The seal in my rebuilt pump came not seated all the way and I had to drive it flush with a deep socket.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jeff A.

Send a message via Skype™ to jbaeng
bingo! you are right on hondadustr! that would work and give me the space to get the snap ring in the grove. it would also match the pictures i've seen of the parts and seal. my problem is the oring that came with the thermostat is just a standard oring (no groove on the inside). i'm going to take the thermostat back to where i bought it tomorrow along with the seal (and water pump) and see what they can do.

'88 944
'99 Vanagon
'03 Pilot
Old 04-20-2008, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: