Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1989 944S2 - clutch pedal to the floor

1989 - 944S2.

OK. I have been lucky for 135,000 miles. Today my luck ran out. The car is in the garage - but the clutch pedal just went to the floor and stuck there. It is the original clutch.

I have not even put the car up on stands yet, but I wonder if anyone has an idea of what I might see when I do? The clutch worked fine - even though it gets rough if I am stuck in stop-and-go traffic. This was a sudden failure with no warning. Where I live it is all open roads and the clutch does not usually have a problem - or get much use.

Where do I start to look?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It is most likely your clutch slave cyclinder. These are relatively easy to fix but given the mileage you might as well replace the clutch master cylinder at the same time and these are a bit more fiddly. It will give you piece of mind though knowing that those are two less things to worry about. Clarks Garage has very good descriptions on changing these.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzporsche944s2 View Post
It is most likely your clutch slave cyclinder. These are relatively easy to fix but given the mileage you might as well replace the clutch master cylinder at the same time and these are a bit more fiddly. It will give you piece of mind though knowing that those are two less things to worry about. Clarks Garage has very good descriptions on changing these.
I looked under the car - and I see a lot of fluid right where the rubber hose goes from the master to the slave cylinders.

Can I change the hose without removing either cylinder? I realize that I will have to bleed the system.

I have very little free time right now and I would like to keep is as simple and fast as possible.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well just make sure the fluid is not comming from the cylinders. It could just be dripping from the master down the hose making it look like it's just the hose. You can get away with changing only the bad cylinder if money is tight, but don't count on reliability until the other is changed.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheEH! View Post
Well just make sure the fluid is not comming from the cylinders. It could just be dripping from the master down the hose making it look like it's just the hose. You can get away with changing only the bad cylinder if money is tight, but don't count on reliability until the other is changed.
Nope - no fluid at the master cylinder - it is half way down to the slave. Looks like a sudden split in the rubber hose. i ordered the hose from Pelican and I will jack it up next week to see what's what.

I may have dogged a bullet today.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

that's lucky it could have been something way more expensive.

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
Even if it is the master/slave. They are not that expensive, and are pretty easy to do yourself. Maybe a 6 out of 10.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestshooter View Post
1989 - 944S2.

OK. I have been lucky for 135,000 miles. Today my luck ran out. The car is in the garage - but the clutch pedal just went to the floor and stuck there. It is the original clutch.

I have not even put the car up on stands yet, but I wonder if anyone has an idea of what I might see when I do? The clutch worked fine - even though it gets rough if I am stuck in stop-and-go traffic. This was a sudden failure with no warning. Where I live it is all open roads and the clutch does not usually have a problem - or get much use.

Where do I start to look?
The problem was the rubber hose between the master and slave cylinders. The hose was melted by being in contact with the exhaust manifold - as it came from the factory.

I removed the starter and bled the slave cylinder. I used the Mityvac hand vacuum pump (as per Clark's Garage - http://www.clarks-garage.com/ - ) and it made bleeding an easy one-man job. The clutch is working great now.

Dick
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: