Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Question for you stereoheads out there

So I fairly recently purchased a Blaupunkt Bahama stereo for my car. This model has a wire that will adjust the volume depending on the vehicle's speed, all you need to do is to hook it into the speed sensor somehow.

Anyone ever figured out where to tap into an '88 951's electrical system to enable this? Pictures or details appreciated if you know....

Cheers,

Keith

I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Nobody Special

If yours is like mine I think you will find this feature more nuisance than asset. My Blaupunkt Honolulu had it and I hated it. I play my music a bit load while cruising around and the HU is feeding 2-1000W amps. Everytime I would pull up to a light the volume would drop so low I could barely hear it. I would then turn it up to compensate and as soon as the car hit about 10 mph again it would be louder than where it was before and blow me out of the car. I just kept that option turned off at the headunit. Maybe it works differently when the HU output is driving the speakers?
87 - 944S - Another daily driver-SOLD
Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Quality

Unless it's tunable like 'at this sensor rating do this, at this one do that' I wouldn't use it either...

Even then, how about investinging in some good sound deadening under the carpets and in the doors.... weight? Yes. Daily driver? Also yes (for me).

=)
Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I am not driving separate amps/subwoofers/tweeters/etc. Just the normal head unit driving nearly stock speakers.

The feature is supposed to have 5 or so levels, so I am not too worried about having issues like you did, 2Tight. It can always be disabled anyway.

If I am reading what you said correctly, you found a way to tap into the speed sensor with your Honolulu, correct? Do you remember where you tapped into this? Pictures or diagrams?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Nobody Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
I am not driving separate amps/subwoofers/tweeters/etc. Just the normal head unit driving nearly stock speakers.

The feature is supposed to have 5 or so levels, so I am not too worried about having issues like you did, 2Tight. It can always be disabled anyway.

If I am reading what you said correctly, you found a way to tap into the speed sensor with your Honolulu, correct? Do you remember where you tapped into this? Pictures or diagrams?

Thanks,

Keith
I wish I could help you on the wiring part but the HU came in the car when I bought it. After adding the amps is where I noticed it the most so it could be just a low level output issue. Mine didn't have different levels of speed sensitivity either like yours. Personally I can't wait to get a more modern HU...my Honolulu just isn't all that great in IMO and it skips like a schoolgirl on any rougher roads. I'm going with a high end HD unit in the next few months anyway.
87 - 944S - Another daily driver-SOLD
Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info....

Anyone done the wiring for this?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
So I fairly recently purchased a Blaupunkt Bahama stereo for my car. This model has a wire that will adjust the volume depending on the vehicle's speed, all you need to do is to hook it into the speed sensor somehow...Keith
What exactly does the instruction manual say? It might give us some ideas.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Well, that's part of the problem....

The manual is a typically cryptic thing. There is a single wire coming out that is for "Automatic Sound", with no other information. I guess I can do an internet search and see if I can come up with something more.

Here is what the manual says, with a diagram in the installation section that only tells you which wire is for "Automatic sound":
Quote:
Automatic Sound
This function automatically adjusts the volume of the car sound system to the
vehicle speed. For this purpose, the car sound system must be connected as
described in the installation instructions.

You can adjust the automatic sound in 6 increments from (0 - 5).

Press the MENU button 9.
Press the or button : repeatedly until “VOLUME MENU” appears on the
display.
Press the button : to open the menu.
Press the or button : repeatedly until “AUTO SD” appears on the display.
Set the automatic sound 0 - 5 with the or button :.
When you have finished making your changes,
Press the MENU button 9 three times.
Note:
Your optimal setting of 0 - 5 of the speed-dependent sound adjustment depends upon the driving noise development of your vehicle. Determine the perfect value for your vehicle using trial
and error.

Here is what Crutchfield has to say:
Quote:
Note: In order for this feature to work, the receiver must be connected to the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) via the white wire in the main power harness
Anyone know where to tap into this on the 951?

Keith

Last edited by kdjones2000; 05-04-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Can anyone verify that this is correct? Going through the schematics, I think I have found the VSS wire:

Which, if my wife's German is any good, is a Blue/Red striped wire coming out of the "B" connector on the instrument cluster.

Any stereo installers here, who would know if this would give the correct type of signal to the "Automatic Volume" feature on a Blaupunkt stereo?

Thanks,

Keith

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: