Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Learned by do'n twice

$500 Project Car Finally Hits The Road

So... after 10 months of work and about $1200 in parts my son's and my $500 project car finally hits the road. We bought it off the front yard in the next town over and had to tow it home. After a new clutch and associated HW , resealed oil cooler, all new hoses, all new belts, new ref and speed sensors, new O2 and temp sensor, rebuilt power steering pump, new stereo and speakers, new headliner, new seat covers, new shift boot and knob, reworked shift lever, a good bit of body work, welded up exhaust, new paint, resealed windshield, chasing down many electrical gremlins, and dozens and dozens of odds and ends, we finally hit the road this week.

This has been a great father son project for my son's first car. All, and I mean all, of the work was done by just the two of us and we learned a lot together.

I'd like to thank the many people on tis forum who have patiently answered questions and helped make this possible.

We've still got a little work to do: we get a shimmy in the front end when we hit rough road, the oil pressure is pegged at 5 bar, there's a small oil and coolant leak, I'm pretty sure the balance belt is too tight, and were running a bit rough when cold. I'll be posting a few items to try and get some help on these issues.

But... all in all we're pretty satisfied with the results. Pictures are below.

Thanks again for all the help.

jmd_forest
Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
My 944 scares adults

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lovemy924S
congratulations!! it looks like it came out extremely well! did you guys shoot your own paint?

Ethan
Old 05-02-2008, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

Sure did, like I said, we did all the work ourselves. Take a look at the garage floor in the middle right hand side of the middle picture and you can see the red all over. I used a single stage acrylic enamel simply because the PO had noted he had a MAACO paint job (acrylic enamel) done 10 years ago and I didn't want the new paint to lift or craze due to paint incompatibilities. We pulled the bumpers, hood, sunroof, hatch, valance, door handles and all rubber trim off before shooting. It took 3 tries on the hood and sunroof and 2 tries on the body to get the really nice job you see now. The first tries resulted in nothing but orange peel and runs. I actually sanded off my fingerprints wet sanding this car.

jmd_forest
Old 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

looks great. I can only imagine the immense pride you and your son must have had during that first drive.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
In over my head

Congratualtions on a project well done!
74.5 Triumph TR6 (restoration project)
05 Subaru Legacy (winter car)
Old 05-02-2008, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Wow. Not bad at all for a $500 "project car"!

Just out of curiosity, how much did you end up spending when all is said and done? Sounds like you might have come in well under the price of a good, running 944.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Learned by do'n twice

We've got a total of about $1700 in the project. $500 for the initial purchase and another $1200 for parts, paint and other odds and ends. Not bad considering we put in a full clutch kit (got it on Craigslist for $200), reupholstered the seats ($250) and paint ($300). We cut a few corners to save costs and are keeping our fingers crossed ( replaced timing and balance belts but did not replace rollers or waterpump).

jmd_forest
Old 05-02-2008, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
very nice job, Congratulations! looks very nice. how many miles? could probally say 50k and we wouldnt know it looks that good. but, you got some paint on the wheels, sorry. still looks like a 10 though.
85.5 944 red- Pinta (past)
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

Odometer shows 110K but since we just got it on the road I noticed the odometer isn't working,... just another "minor" issue to deal with.

Yea, there's some paint on the wheels still that needs to be wiped down with reducer as well as a REALLY good cleaning inside and treat with Armour All. There's a couple of other small cosmetic issues as well as the problems noted in my original post that we'll be getting to over the next few weeks.

jmd_forest
Old 05-03-2008, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bholmes
How'd you do the seat covers? Is that price materials and all? They look good!

'86 944 NA
'94 Jeep Cherokee 3" and 31's
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
'98 Dodge Neon (the wife)
Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Very nice job. You should be proud. My son and I did a 924 together when he was 16. The only Porsche in the parking lot at high school!!! We both learned a lot and although my son has decided that he is not interested in mechanics he came away with a lot of lessons about overcoming obstacles and discipline and positive thinking. It was time well spent.

Jon
Old 05-03-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

We did the seat covers ourselves. Bought the kit from ebay for $250. It took about 10 hours for each seat. Although we bought the cheap kit I, wouldn't recommend that particular kit. The wire stay pockets for the rear portion of the seat bottom were not built into the kit. We had to use my wife's sewing machine and some scrap vinyl to create and sewthe wire stay into the seat bottom.

jmd_forest
Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Looks good.
14 BMW M5 6spd Stick 1 of 577 F10 less than 300 LCI
Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Nice job! Congrats!
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I would like to see some before pics too.
85.5 944 Sold
78 924 (first car) RIP
Old 05-03-2008, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

I wish I had taken some before pictures. It was the same basic color, but the drivers side rear corner and about 15 inches of the driver;'s side rear had been crushed in just above the bumper. There were numerous dents and dings. The interior was a shambles. The seats were shot, the headliner was torn up, and the dash was shot (still is... we're looking into a dash cover. We got a dash carpet cover but but looks like crap). The old paint job had been badly taped out and there was much paint on the seals that we cleaned off after taking them off for our paint job. The rear hatch carpet was severely faded and we used vinyl carpet dye ( some kind of specialized spray paint) and it actually came out pretty nice. We pulled everything (rubber, lights, door handles, lights, trim, seals.....etc.) off the car but the mirrors and quarter windows before painting and painted the bumpers, hood, sunroof, and front valence separately from the car body.

Today was the first day we really drove it around, Put on about 100 miles with no serious problems to speak of. We're still waiting for the new shocks and struts to arrive and it still runs a bit rough when cold. We fixed the oil pressure problem by reversing the wires on the new sending unit. I believe the small oil leak is from the rear main seal even though we replaced it when we replaced the clutch.. There's still a tiny power steering leak even though we rebuilt the unit. We're still tracking down he small coolant leak. And tonight I noticed how bad the dash lights were... we'll probably look into the led units I've read about.

jmd_forest

jmd_forest
Old 05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Wow... what an accomplishment! Good Job to you and your son!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Its nice to know there are people like you out there resurrecting some of these old cars.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
My 944 scares adults

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lovemy924S
about how long did this take you? I'm planning on resurrecting one this summer if i can *hoping and praying!*. I'm planning on learning how to shoot paint and rebuilding the engine and stuff myself, hopefully i'll get the chance to do it!

*edit*i'm an idiot and didn't reread that which is posted above before posting my questions, so i have the answers to my questions....*idiot alert!*
Old 05-06-2008, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Learned by do'n twice

I wanted to have a "fun" project with my son as well as teach him some choice vocabulary for use in stressful situations. I thought the 944 NA would be a great father son project and great first car for a great kid. They're available cheap. They're really cool in good condition. They don't have much power. They only have 2 real seats (4 in an emergency, so no tribe of kids riding along encouraging stupid behavior), and they get pretty decent gas milage (28 MPG or so if and when you get 20 years of bugs worked out). I've had a number of acquaintances think I'm crazy until I point out the above items.

jmd_forest

Last edited by jmd_forest; 05-06-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: